BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-27-2008, 03:59 PM   #67
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe

1-series Convertible Tested: Goad to Spring (Winding Road)

-- http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?p=71597
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 10:04 PM   #68
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Motor Trend: Open Heir: Little Bimmer inherits the family Jewels (first drive of 128i convertible)

-- http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4703
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 11:51 PM   #69
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Automobile Magazine: The Shrink-to-fit 3-Series makes a fine open-air-tourer.

-- http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4727
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 11:57 PM   #70
Swift135
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330d, M3 DCT E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
As with their pics of the car, I think Edmunds did the review by sitting in front of a computer not sitting in the car. I could have written that 6 months ago.
      02-28-2008, 03:19 AM   #71
jose
Rep
Drives:

Thank you man you´ve done a great job!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 09:38 AM   #72
Spook
Bring Bail Money
Rep
Drives:

Agree on the Edmunds review. It was full of old information and gave no indication that they actually drove it. I think the only point was to support their car buying information section. Pity.

-Spook
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 03:07 PM   #73
BMWfan
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 125i Coupe (M Sport)

This is a South African review of the 1 coupe. Not all the information is applicable to the US, but the 135i portion definitely is. Enjoy!

http://www.wheels24.co.za/Wheels24/N...279552,00.html
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #74
aus_buster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

NEW video review from WhatCar

http://www.whatcar.com/car-review-vi...x?MA=7&RT=2801
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 08:13 AM   #75
asv
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Bloomberg Review

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...hK8&refer=muse

The car makes sweet, easy work of the curving high-altitude roads found inland, and it makes me think of the previous- generation M3. The specs aren't entirely comparable, yet I believe the two could tangle.

Scorching Speed

Let's just say that Bimmer's estimate of 0 to 60 in 5.1 seconds is conservative. One of the car magazines clocked it at 4.7 seconds, the same ballpark as the older M3. More importantly, the 135i has the same drive-it-like-you-stole-it attitude -- a tire scorcher that pretends to be businesslike and conservative.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #76
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

What a fantastic review. I can't wait to order one Jan 09.

That article proves the 135i manual IS AWESOME. I had no doubt.

Whats so great about the 135i is you can get it cheap for the performance. Almost every other car is optioned where you have to get it mostly loaded or loaded in order to get the best engine, body, suspension, wheels, looks. The 135i can be had with all the REAL things needed to be a sports car that performs and looks simply AWESOME. WOW. MSRP $36,675 with sport pkg.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 09:20 AM   #77
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Review - Business Day Motoring (South Africa)

Reinventing the past

THERE are a huge number of retro vehicles on the market these days, with more to come. Fiat will soon add its cute 500 to the mix, and Volkswagen is looking at trying again with what it will have to call its “New New Beetle”. But these are basically attempts to recreate a popular iconic vehicle, as opposed to taking the best elements from the forebears and creating something totally new.

In this regard, BMW has certainly done a superb job with its new 1-Series Coupé that was launched in SA last week. It is described as being the “spiritual successor” to the wonderful and, at the time, technologically advanced 2002 model that is still highly sought after today. The standard 1-Series in hatchback form is not quite the true family car, with those climbing into the back seats banging their head on the edge of the aperture and legroom seriously compromised by the wide transmission tunnel. In 130i form it shows its true colours as a real pocket rocket, but the evolution of the range continues to show what the designers really aspired to with this new coupé.

Three models are available: the 120d diesel and two petrol variants in the 125i and 135i. Yes, you did read that correctly: BMW has managed to shoehorn that amazing 3.0l twin-turbo straight-six engine into this little coupé. That means you get 225kW and 400Nm in a package that would almost be dwarfed by a Golf GTi. Certainly the Golf would be no match in the performance stakes, with the 135i taking you to the magic 100km/h mark in just 5,2 seconds.

Unusually for BMW, the launch was held in Gauteng — in Soweto. Contrary to the company’s claims, it was not the first time a motor manufacturer has held a launch in this city within a city, but it was the first time that motoring media representatives have actually stayed there overnight. It was a wonderful experience with some local fare and a trip to Madiba’s house, as well as a tour guide who took us through the history of what is fast becoming one of the biggest and most cosmopolitan cities in the country.

We had the chance to sample the 120d and the 135i on Gauteng roads and at the Zwartkops racetrack near Pretoria. Our initial drive in the 120d was definitely impressive. The turbo kicks in with a punch, which is something I still think is important in a pocket rocket, and all the while one is aware that you have a blend of performance and economy with our vehicle sitting at an average consumption level of 8,2l/100km, while still being able to put in a respectable 0-100km time of 7,6 seconds. The suspension is a little on the firm side as you would expect from a more sporty vehicle, and would actually benefit from having a sports setting that adjusts the suspension for when you have to traverse some of our more rapidly deteriorating roads.

When it was time to jump into the 135i, few journos were prepared for the level of enthusiasm they found beneath their right foot. This is no slouch and the great thing is that with two low-pressure turbos set at just 0,4 bar, there is no turbo lag that you would notice. It delivers effortless levels of power and you would be well advised to have a debit order set up with your local traffic department. It is not even a case of it being simply quick in lower gears. Even in sixth gear it has plenty of torque available to cruise comfortably past the unsuspecting hot-hatch driver ahead of you.
Our track time also gave us a chance to sample both cars and while I have to admit the 135i was simply biblical in its level of power and handling at Zwartkops, the 120d was a real surprise. Granted you have to take every corner in a higher gear than in its petrol sibling, but the levels of grip combined with the dial-in of the turbo made it stand out for being a truly economical performance package. What is even more impressive, particularly for BMW, is the pricing, with the 120d setting you back R286000. The 135i is still a performance bargain too, at a price tag of R367500. Yes, you will have to fork out a small fortune for all the extras, but even in standard trim the car is reasonably well equipped. Regardless of the model you opt for, you can add the aggressive “M” kit that includes all the usual spoilers and side sills, along with interior trim enhancements, as well as a more sporty suspension.
Inside, the layout is typical Beemer with lots of black plastics, but the designers have taken to including more aluminium inserts to break up the monotony, and given the car’s performance credentials, it all works well.

The rear seats will take two adults, preferably young ones, but legroom is always going to be at a premium and the new coupé is never going to be regarded as a family car. It is for those who value performance and style, but the car also makes a strong argument as an entry-level GT car for touring the country in comfort, and with the ability to enjoy its excellent dynamics on some of our classic driving routes.

So has the new 1-Series Coupé really managed to emulate the original 2002? Frankly, yes. It has all the qualities of its ancestor with a massive dose of modern styling, technology and performance.

In May we will see the convertible version and then, while it is not yet confirmed for production, we should see the ultimate performance 1-Series arrive, based on the “tii” concept that was shown at last year’s Frankfurt Motor Show.

There is definitely more to come but the coupé has shown that BMW designers do have a plan when we question their initial products. In the coupé they have come up with an awesome package that will make even exotic manufacturers question whether they are far enough ahead.
"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 01:18 PM   #78
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
BMW Magazine Jan 2008 "Introducing Year 1 of the 1...The all new BMW 1 Series: Poised to Captivate the US"

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 08:27 AM   #79
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Winding Road reviews the cabrio...

http://magazine.windingroad.com/wind...0804/?folio=91
      03-14-2008, 08:11 PM   #80
808135i
Rep
Drives:

review from The Daily Report here.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 08:05 AM   #81
asv
Captain
Rep

LA times

http://www.calendarlive.com/tv/radio...,4622972.story
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 11:25 AM   #82
edge350
Junior Cheeseburger
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the post, asv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asv View Post
"I'd like a BMW a foot shorter than a 3-series, half a ton lighter and $10,000 cheaper. I'd like it to have a four-cylinder, high-pressure turbo engine, a six-speed gearbox, and I'd like the whole thing dipped, Achilles-style, in a track-ready minimalism."

Unforunately, he doesn't get it. He should look into an Elise, perhaps used. The car he's describing can't be built for a world market. I'll never go to the LA Times for car advice.

Crimson Red/Terra 135i, delivered 4/19/08, traded in 9/8/08. Recovering addict, still a fan.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 11:34 AM   #83
theslik1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS-F

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge350 View Post
I'll never go to the LA Times for car advice.
Or technical knowledge. The reviewer doesn't understand the turbo arrangement. Of course, Jeremy Clarkson doesn't either...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 03:21 PM   #84
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Latest Road and Track review

Updated Review by Road and Track

Settling in behind the wheel of BMW's new 135i Coupe, I suddenly flash to the early 1990s, somewhere in the south of France, where I'm driving the brand-new E36 3 Series. It's not just the dash layout, but the close-coupled feel of the cabin and the illusion that you can almost touch the passenger-side A-pillar. The body of the car feels as if it's hewn from stone and not pressed steel. The steering action is direct and the handling precise.

This sense of déjà vu quickly passes as I press the 135i harder, snaking my way from Felton, California, high up in the Santa Cruz mountains, to the Pacific Ocean through stands of redwoods. The giant trees crowd so close to the road that some serve as apex cones on the roller-coaster ride down. Driving the new 1 Series is to experience BMW's philosophy in its purest form, thanks to the car's compact dimensions, surefooted manners and abundance of power.

While the company line is that the new 1 Series owes its inspiration to the legendary 2002 models, its execution is more in tune with E36-based coupes, the two-generation forebear of the current 3 Series, which has now grown to nearly 5 Series proportions.

The E36 coupe and the 1 Series share the same aesthetics that has served BMW well over the past 16 years. Muscular flanks instead of the 2002's slab sides. Thick pillars and a rounded roofline contrast with thin pillars and a larger glass area. Even the twin-kidney grille is more horizontal than the 2002's vertical presentation. The only difference here is that the 1 Series' long-hood, tall-roofline, short-rear-deck profile projects an odd, almost ungainly proportion from some angles. Yet, it's clear the 135i owes its inspiration to previous 3 Series rather than anything further back in the BMW catalog.

Even more striking are the similarities in dimensions and pricing. The 1 Series rides on a 104.7-in. wheelbase and measures 172.2 in. overall, just a respective 1.5 and 2.3 in. shorter than the E36. And at 68.8 in. across the beam, it's actually 1.5 in. wider than the old coupe.

While the 1 Series was thought to be a new entry-level BMW, the base 128i stickers for $29,375. In 1992, the 325is bowed at $29,475. What we have here is more of a 3 Series Coupe Lite rather than a real entry-level BMW. Pricing aside, the 135i's compact size and tight rear seat put it somewhere between the practicality of Volkswagen's R32 and the sportiness of Audi's TT.
The 1 Series comes in two basic flavors — the 128i, which is powered by a normally aspirated 3.0-liter inline-6 producing 230 bhp and 200 lb.-ft. of torque, and the 135i, which has a twin-turbo 3.0-liter six making 300 bhp and 300 lb.-ft. of torque.
Buyers of the 128i will find that car eminently satisfying. Tipping the scales at 3250 lb., the 128i is light on its feet and has enough torque so that the car responds immediately to rolling on and off the throttle as you dart in and out of corners. The car is balanced, the steering action direct. It just seems to never miss a beat.

But the real thrill ride in the line is the 135i. Weighing slightly more at 3340 lb., this model has amazing pulling power. For those who remember what a big deal it was when the M5 boasted 300 horses, the 135i represents a similar breakthrough in performance for this class of rear-drive vehicle, giving new meaning to the term "pocket rocket."

It's fitting that the 135i is fitted with a BMW M-developed aero kit that distinguishes it from the 128i models. The front is more aggressive, with a larger lower opening to duct additional air required by both the engine and the brakes. The ducktail-shaped rear decklid is augmented by a small auxiliary spoiler to fight lift.

Other changes designed specifically to cope with the additional output include a stiffer sport suspension to reduce body roll, larger 18-in. wheels and tires for a wider footprint and a beefed-up braking system that features 6-piston front and 2-piston rear calipers. While not in the same league as the M3, this hotted-up version of the 1 Series is best described as an "M2.5." The reduced weight and muscular powertrain deliver at least two-thirds the excitement of the 414-bhp V-8-powered M3 Coupe. So in this respect, the 1 Series does live up to its expectation as a sort of entry-level vehicle into the world of M.

Grab the remote key fob, throw it into the center console (the little dash-mounted holder seems superfluous to me) and punch the start button. Look closely at the silver ring around the starter and you'll notice the engraved words "Year One of the 1," a neat touch that, along with a hardcover book and certificate, will make these first-year models instantly collectible among BMW diehards.

A scan of the instrument panel reveals everything in its place — the look is classic BMW, straightforward analog gauges, white lettering on black faces, the radio and climate controls similar to those found on the 3. The simplified iDrive system with navigation is an option, but I was perfectly happy that our test vehicle didn't have the additional knob and dash-mounted pop-out screen. In the case of the 1 Series, less is more, for this car is about the purity of the driving experience. And that goes for specifying the 6-speed manual over the similarly cogged Steptronic paddle-shift automatic. I like the fact that this car, in many respects, is a back-to-basics sporting coupe.

Selecting 1st gear, you'll notice that the throws are fairly short, the clutch takeup linear with fairly light effort. The dohc inline-6 is a twin-turbo and it spools up rapidly. Peak torque arrives at just 1400 revs, which gives the car lightning-quick reflexes off the line. The 135i revs freely to redline, and in testing it hit 60 mph in just 4.8 seconds. The quarter mile was covered in 13.4 sec. at a speed of 104.0 mph.

While the car is equipped with BMW's Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) and Dynamic Traction Control (DTC), both of which can be deactivated, the thresholds are set high enough so that neither is intrusive in spirited driving. In fact, in Sport mode, there is enough slip built into the system to allow the tail to hang out a tad when really pushed hard. The stiffer suspension, quick turn-in and the electronic rear brake management (which operates as a de facto locking rear differential) put a fine edge on the car's handling. The 135i simply goes where it's pointed, as evidenced by its slalom speed of 70.6 mph, with little or no drama. There is a slight bias toward understeer when entering a corner, but judicious application of the throttle easily pushes the car to a more neutral attitude. The large tires and taut suspension give tremendous grip, enabling the car to pull 0.91g on the skidpad. And in braking, the posted stopping distances are 204 ft. from 80 mph and 114 ft. from 60.

But these are just numbers. It's out on the open road where it all comes together. The 135i's compact size, relatively lithe body and prodigious output are the ingredients for intuitive driving. This is one car where you simply concentrate on the road ahead. The engine song tells you when to shift, the communicative steering and the buttoned-down body motions signal when it's time to give it the gas or gently trail-brake to settle things down. The engine's flexibility allows you to cruise comfortably in high gears or you can row the gearbox down low to your heart's content.

The 135i is a driver's car, a "gotta have" car. The question, though, is at what price. The Euro has not been so kind to the dollar and that's reflected in the 135i's base price of $34,900. Throw on a premium package that includes the glove-soft Boston leather and you're in the neighborhood of $39,000. Add navigation and you've zoomed past 40 large, which puts it solidly in the larger and more comfortable 3 Series territory. So the question is — do you want comfort and size, or do you want to drive?
"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 07:03 PM   #85
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Updated list in first post.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 11:42 AM   #86
asv
Captain
Rep

Motor Trend

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._bmw_135i_test
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 06:23 AM   #87
roadburn
rrroadburn
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

Anyone have the new Car & Driver review?

Their 135i review is in the latest issue of C&D.

It's a fairly crappy review, working too hard to be cute, full of references to "mine's smaller than yours" at the stoplight, etc. Nitpicky on price & other things.

I have it, but don't have a scanner. It probably needs to go into the review sticky thread.

CXXXVi
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 10:28 PM   #88
aus_buster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Its online now :

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/..._test/(page)/1
Appreciate 0