BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
sleeper001
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Past, 2017 X5M-sport

2011 bmw 135i blow off valve kit

Does anyone know where i can find a blow off valve kit for the 2011 bmw 135i that is plug and play and will not cause a fualt or error code to trip.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
SlickShift
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW E90 M3 ZCP, '21 X5 ZMP

None available yet.
Retired: '00 323i, '06 325Ci, '09 135i, '06 Z4M Roadster, '93 525i, '76 2002, '14 X1, '14 M235i, '16 X4, '16 435i
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

And what does it do for you?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 12:50 AM   #4
Daniel135i
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6M, AW, CR, MSPORT

Garage List
2011 135i  [10.00]
2005 SRT-4  [7.00]
A bov dumps the pressure on the inlet side of the turbo to either, atmosphere or recirculation back into the exhaust depending on which kit you use. When you let of the gas, all the built up suction on the cold side of the turbo (inlet) is still there, the bov vents this so it does not backlash into the inlet vanes of the turbo (when u let off the gas and the turbo isnt sucking in air as much) and thus shockign the bearings by slowing down the rotation of the CHRA. Overall, most think its just for the noise (Woooooosh) and they do not realize it has an intended performace aspect.

I am also waiting for a kit...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 03:19 AM   #5
jhuber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

the Whoooooosh does make your car that much more fun to drive though!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #6
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel135i View Post
A bov dumps the pressure on the inlet side of the turbo to either, atmosphere or recirculation back into the exhaust depending on which kit you use. When you let of the gas, all the built up suction on the cold side of the turbo (inlet) is still there, the bov vents this so it does not backlash into the inlet vanes of the turbo (when u let off the gas and the turbo isnt sucking in air as much) and thus shockign the bearings by slowing down the rotation of the CHRA. Overall, most think its just for the noise (Woooooosh) and they do not realize it has an intended performace aspect.

So there is a longevity aspect then?

My MB diesel turbos are producing full boost or more at 230k miles, but anything to save wear and tear on the N55 is a good thing!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
Daniel135i
Banned
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [10.00]
2005 SRT-4  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuber View Post
the Whoooooosh does make your car that much more fun to drive though!

X a bazzzzilion.... Most people I have pushed my bov around ask if the car is broken lol, they have no clue. (normal, non autophile people)
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
Daniel135i
Banned
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [10.00]
2005 SRT-4  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHZR2 View Post
So there is a longevity aspect then?

My MB diesel turbos are producing full boost or more at 230k miles, but anything to save wear and tear on the N55 is a good thing!
Absolutely a longevity aspect. Every little bit helps, this is just a cooler than average little bit. Most stock T-diesel trucks i believe use a recirculation setup standard.

Performance wise, here is how it plays out: When you are on the gas, the turbo spins faster and faster... when u let of the gas, the turbo spools down. A BOV kit keeps the turbo spool up (more so than without and the pressure slowing down the CHRA) so when you get back on the gas you dont have to start with as much lag getting the turbo back up to speed to produce the boost to get the POWA!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
jpuff
Private
Rep
Drives: n/a

BOV's are a novelty and nothing more. Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't know better. Yes, by design they keep backpressure from occuring by venting excess boost to the atmosphere when your TB closes... but the engineers who designed this car at BMW are far from stupid and I'm 110% sure these engines come with a recirculating valve. I would find it hard to believe that the bmw engineers designed this engine to harm its own turbos everytime you let off the boost. Aftermarket BOV's just make a stupid whoosh noise at the expense of blowing your boost out to the atmosphere. Infact, a lot of aftermarket BOV's are poorly designed and can cause backpressure + turbo damage to happen that wouldn't have happened had you not installed the BOV. The stock recirc valve will do just what it sounds like.. keep your extra boost recirculating, thus avoiding turbo backpressure while also shortening the time it takes to build full boost once you get on the gas again.

In short, unless you're 16 years old and really want to have a pointless $200 - $400 (maybe more because people charge more for BMW parts) fart maker on your car, don't even think twice about a BOV because you'll end up hurting your performance, and you'll probably end up damaging your turbos. And good luck having a dealer fix anything on your engine if you've removed the recirculation mechanism to install a blow off valve that could damage your turbos.

Last edited by jpuff; 07-28-2010 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 11:11 AM   #10
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

07-28-2010, 11:32 AM   #11
Daniel135i
Banned
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [10.00]
2005 SRT-4  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuff View Post
BOV's are a novelty and nothing more. Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't know better. Yes, by design they keep backpressure from occuring by venting excess boost to the atmosphere when your TB closes... but the engineers who designed this car at BMW are far from stupid and I'm 110% sure these engines come with a recirculating valve. I would find it hard to believe that the bmw engineers designed this engine to harm its own turbos everytime you let off the boost. Aftermarket BOV's just make a stupid whoosh noise at the expense of blowing your boost out to the atmosphere. Infact, a lot of aftermarket BOV's are poorly designed and can cause backpressure + turbo damage to happen that wouldn't have happened had you not installed the BOV. The stock recirc valve will do just what it sounds like.. keep your extra boost recirculating, thus avoiding turbo backpressure while also shortening the time it takes to build full boost once you get on the gas again.

In short, unless you're 16 years old and really want to have a pointless $200 - $400 (maybe more because people charge more for BMW parts) fart maker on your car, don't even think twice about a BOV because you'll end up hurting your performance, and you'll probably end up damaging your turbos. And good luck having a dealer fix anything on your engine if you've removed the recirculation mechanism to install a blow off valve that could damage your turbos.

Your post is of that that you just do not like BOVs.... I am pretty sure these engines do not have a recirc system in place. (if so, thats cool)

And NOT having a BOV doesnt harm the motor... But having one, will improve performance, throttle response, and longevity of your CHRA by eliminating compressor surge, especially at higher boost than stock. Go read a book before your un-fanboi hate gets the better of you.

The people that have caused harm by installing a BOV kit, probably shouldnt have been tooling around with cars in the first place.

Just becasue you dont like them is no reason to spew false technical data about products that have been around for as long as there have been turbos on cars, and in that case, im sure there is a performance aspect to be found with them. Top race teams (name any sanction) cars arent in the habit of installing extra weight and trashy noismakers on thier cars out of silly desire to sound cool.

And if car makers do install a recirculation kit on thier engines, its for the exact reasons why I stated earlier. BOVs just add a simpler method of dumping the charge pressure, instead of more piping into the system which recirculation kits do so as not to make noise. Turbo car manufacturers arent in the habit of annoying most clientele base by applying a bov. So they go with a recirc system with the same results, if they use anything at all.

Last edited by Daniel135i; 07-28-2010 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #12
Xylarax
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Montego

In all honesty I think the woosh is a pretty cool sound too, and I would like to restate something Daniel said that you seemed to completely ignore.
"im sure there is a performance aspect to be found with them. Top race teams (name any sanction) cars arent in the habit of installing extra weight and trashy noismakers on thier cars out of silly desire to sound cool."
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 02:01 PM   #13
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Get a Tune..the DV sneeze is quite loud already on 2011s. I'm beta testing a tune and it is muuch louder and obvious with more boost. And high-pitched as well. Not too shabby. the N54's never did this.
      07-28-2010, 04:59 PM   #14
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Typically, the problem with installing a BOV on a system that was designed with a recirculation valve (aka - diverter valve (DV), depending on who you talk to) is that the engine's ECU has already accounted for the air that was pulled in by the low pressure side of the turbo and measured by a mass air-flow meter (MAF). The ECU adjusts the air/fuel mixture based on the reading of the MAF and when air leaks out of the system through the action of a BOV, the mixture temporarily runs rich. A rich environment will foul spark plugs sooner and, in time, cause damage to sensors in the exhaust piping. Contrary to what was stated earlier in this thread, the pressurized air is not diverted into the exhaust system. It stays in the intake tract if the DV is doing its job.

However, in the case of the N45, BMW did not use a traditional MAF and relied on other sensors to control the air/fuel mixture. This meant that no ill affects were felt when the DVs are replaced with a BOV.

With the N55, BMW decided to incorporate a MAF sensor (as reported by the tuners on this board) which brings us back to the problem of running rich when a BOV vents to the atmosphere. It's releasing air that the ECU thinks is on its way to the combustion chamber, causing a momentary rich condition.

To clear up some misinformation earlier in this post - ALL modern turbo charged engines have some kind of DV. It is needed to give the built up pressure in-between the throttle body plate and the turbo somewhere to go when you let off the gas. If there wasn't a DV in place, the spinning turbine would continue to push air into the intake tract until the pressure gets backed up (because it doesn't have anywhere to go when the throttle plate is closed) and pushes back against the turbine blades, essentially, abruptly stopping the turbine which was potentially spinning at 100,000+RPM. This can cause serious damage to the shaft which connects the intake and exhaust turbines and the internal bearings. In order to stop this compressor pressure surge, the DV opens and redirects (diverts) the pressure to the low pressure side of the intake plumbing, usually right after the air filter, so that air doesn't escape a closed system.

One of the dangers with an 'off the shelf' BOV kit is that the pressure point which triggers the opening of the valve may not be set correctly and there might be a slight delay before the built up pressure is released or, on the other hand, it will open too early and cause a boost leak.

07-28-2010, 10:46 PM   #15
jpuff
Private
Rep
Drives: n/a

lol looks like the admins deleted my second post because I was too mean to daniel. But whatever, which is a shame because it was also chalk full of information about why using after market BOV's is bad. But oh well.

Just for the record though, daniel was wrong and has yet to provide proof of "performance gains from aftermarket bov's".
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 12:35 AM   #16
Daniel135i
Banned
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [10.00]
2005 SRT-4  [7.00]
LOL................

Today, 05:46 AM

This message is hidden because jpuff is on your ignore list.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 09:07 AM   #17
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:

BOV's do not recirculate back into the exhaust system; wastegates (which serve a completely different purpose such as controlling boost) do. BOV's when in recirculation mode, recirculate back into the intake/inlet system.

EDIT: Oh and before you jump in, yes I am aware that wastegates may also be installed dumping to the atmosphere - about 11 years of experience with turbo-charged applications over here
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #18
Daniel135i
Banned
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [10.00]
2005 SRT-4  [7.00]
let me get back with you on this point........

Yeah your right, dont know why I said exhaust really, silly me.... But they do indeed dump into intake line. No difference in reference to getting or not getting a bov though, the point is still there that they work.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 10:28 AM   #19
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
let me get back with you on this point........

Yeah your right, dont know why I said exhaust really, silly me.... But they do indeed dump into intake line. No difference in reference to getting or not getting a bov though, the point is still there that they work.
No worries...I was about to jump all over your "500whp car with bov recirculated to the exhaust" but I figured I'd give you the time for you to autocorrect yourself.

Let's also note that the main reason manufacturers recirculate their systems has nothing to do with sound-dampening purposes, but rather performance oriented 100%. Cars equipped with a mass airflow sensor take into account all compressed air when compensating with fuel for the air-fuel mixture. Typically, the MAF sensor is found on the intake side and prior to the throttle body of the car, meaning that if the air is vented but the ecu map is not adjusted (leaned out in between shifts), the car will run rich in between shifts once the air has been released - causing backfires and longer spoolup times, therefore hurting performance. This is why it is always recommended to install BOV's on recirculation mode, unless the car will be specifically tuned to run venting to the atmosphere.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #20
competition
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C

they have charge pipes for the N54. I'm sure someone will release one for the N55 soon.
Appreciate 0