BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #23
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep
Drives: e9o "Vanity 2"

Seriously guys, why did you just tear all my posts apart for grammar, tiny pinprick facts, etc?

I was enjoying reading about the 1M over coffee on work break, remembered the article on these forums from scott about the Z2 (a Z model below the current Z4) and thought I'd mention it considering it will be the same car for the most part.

I actually SAID I'd take the 1M over other current M's....then the 1M owners start whining about what I said. Grow up man, you all need to learn to brush things off...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #24
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep
Drives: e9o "Vanity 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsims View Post
get your info straight

M2 is gonna be a 4banger.
We'll see when it gets here. Basic logic tells one to not jump to conclusions, so really...no need to be a cock on the internet.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #25
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

I put a deposit down at a dealer here in GA in May of 2010 with a negotiated price of $1500 under MSRP. In Sept of 2010, I bought a M3 and got my deposit back. I called to get back on the list in June 2011 and the same dealer still has not received their first allocation and he wouldn't give me the #2 spot in line for anything less than MSRP. I found another dealer in GA that still had their single allocation. I ordered from them and the car is sitting at the port waiting for a boat. I do PCD on 9/30. I believe I will receive my car before the person who got my spot at the first dealer will. (Although it cost me $1500 by getting out of line)

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #26
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdomPHD View Post
If you think this is big, wait until the *deep breath* 2M is introduced.

The 1M seems to have been solely designed to wet our appetites, and it has, but it is merely a lead up to the F model 2 series set to be here in less than two years.

This is demonstrated by the 1M only being produced for a year. Having such rave reviews and all that should indicate to BMW that mass production is in order.....but it's not. Why? I repeat: the 1M is not here to stay.

The cute VO color and all the hype is only to get you interested. They ACTUALLY want you to get in line for they NEXT model. The upcoming 2 series. The 2M will basically be a 1M (i.e., spare M3 parts and one hell of an inline 6) but with the F model chassis. There will surely be no production limit. Also stemming from the 2 series will be a sort of Z2 if you will.

And, as long as it's not FWD, I'm certainly taking the bait and standing patiently in line to trade in the keys to my E90 for the new Z2. (as long as it's definitely RWD).
I think the next M3 will set the benchmark, as it always has and it's coming out a lot sooner than the M2 will. I'm sure it will have plenty of low end torque too, seeing as that's the trend by BMW. Oh and it will be a 6 banger
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #27
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Have you all seen the new F20 cars? To me they rank right up there with the Ugliest cars BMW has ever made. Not to mention the F20's are once again larger then the current 1er's. I'll Happily keep my Limited Edition 1M over the mass produced M2 when it arrives.

Take a look at the new F20's

http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556188
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #28
Oliver1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

You are referring to the new 1 series. The 2 series will be a whole different style. Whats more, the M cars are going to have a lot different look from the regular series.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #29
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WULFFZA View Post
This experience has certainly wised me up on what you have to do to get something with BMW (perhaps they're all the same). Who would have thought that in December, when there was almost zero info out there on this car and the enthusiasts being more informed than the salesman were in most cases, that you needed to place an order all over the country to secure a car.
Heck, we didnt even know what it was going to cost and we gave our deposits and received verbal confirmation that we could get it at sticker (or below in some cases). Now to find out that its not a matter of how soon you got in line, but where you placed your order, is ridiculous and disloyal of BMW. I would understand if the factory was trying to make the super profits that some dealers are getting (salesman at Morristown BMW said he got $90k on Ebay for one...) by creating this demand, but they are not.

Perhaps I need a degree in marketing to understand why this was the right move for them.

Apparently so! LOL.. As horrible as this has been for the consumer, the 1M has been brilliantly marketed from the get go. BMW created a very good buzz in the announcement of the car and it's teasing... which they have now fine tuned a little bit with the next M5....

The press then confirmed that the car is as incredible as initial perceptions, and now BMW has newly carved out their spot at the top of the heap of the small sports car market. Not only have they done so chassis wise, the motor in the 1M is a turbo, and has shown to be very powerful and finally many of the gremlins of the 135 have been exorcised.

The one other advantage of the awkward rollout, has been that BMW has virtually guaranteed that the car will sell out and will not languish on dealer lots, and has also for the most part gotten the car into the hands of enthusiasts... casual buyers have barely had a chance to pickup a car as none are sitting on the lot.

The next generation M2 will be lighter and will have a turbo four cylinder motor, and will be as eagerly anticipated as the next M3, possibly more so, because then it will have even more in common with the original E30 M3, which also had a four cylinder motor. If BMW can manage to knock about 150 lbs off of the M2 compared to the 1M, as well as produce a torquey powerful 4 cylinder motor... E30 M3 owners will come out of the woodwork for it... along with the huge following from the 1M, the M2 could easily outpace the M3 in sales.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 08-03-2011 at 10:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 11:55 PM   #30
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

This thread is funny...ah the great debates! Does it matter? I like the 1M. Right now there is no M2, 2M...whatever...blah blah. Enjoy what's out there. Drive. Have fun. Don't hate.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 02:45 AM   #31
bogeyman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf GTD. GR Yaris CP incoming

Quote:
hey man...whoaaa... I know better than to say something "better" than something else on these forums. haha. All I'm saying is that the 1M was designed by BMW GMBH (a group of market geniuses) to get you interested; hence, limited production time table. Also it doesn't incorporate the new F styling which BMW is using accross it's entire line up, indicating again that the 2 series will quickly supplant the short term 1M.

For what I do, I'd take the 1M over an M3 for lower end RPM performance. But as far as looks go, the M3 takes the cake. BUT, when the M2 arrives I will almost certainly be saying something different.
I know exactly wot u meant pal i was just a little bored and thought I'd be controversial and open up a can of worms - sure worked!!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 08:25 AM   #32
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

What the? Dude, you need to learn to take constructive critisism. I agree grammar/spelling corrections are going too far, but if you post incorrect info, in what way is it best to just let that slide? So some people can read your posts and go about their days misinformed and you can feel better about yourself not having been incorrect? It makes no sense. The fact is, you need to thank folks who go out of their way to correct mistakes in others' posts (yours, mine, whoever else's) on the forum because that is what makes and keeps this forum such a great place to get the facts about BMWs.

Quote:
Seriously guys, why did you just tear all my posts apart for grammar, tiny pinprick facts, etc?

I was enjoying reading about the 1M over coffee on work break, remembered the article on these forums from scott about the Z2 (a Z model below the current Z4) and thought I'd mention it considering it will be the same car for the most part.

I actually SAID I'd take the 1M over other current M's....then the 1M owners start whining about what I said. Grow up man, you all need to learn to brush things off...
Same car as what? The M2? Go re-read the info from SCOTT that you mention. It's not even being built on the same platform.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #33
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw 228xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx:BMW View Post
well, as someone for who the timing of the 1m didnt work out, im really hoping that OP is right. if the M2 is as badass as the 1M, had an I6 (i think this is unlikely), and just benefitted from the new F styling, had a non-limited production, that'd be pretty kickass. if anything happens, i think the increase in production is the most likely to occur.

BTW, you guys got your 1m's BELOW MSRP??? How is that even possible with such limited numbers? bums me out even more...
First off, I know you will enjoy the m2 when it comes. That doesn't take away from my enjoyment of my 1m. I've owned a lot of great cars in my life. If I had not gotten mine at MSRP I would still be waiting like you. When you ask how did this happen that I got mine at MSRP; I answer " I have an honest dealer who doesn't gouge people". It's a shame what has happened with this car. As some people say, it may be free enterprise, but it is distasteful. I admit I lucked out but nothing in this world is worth being taken advantage of. I didn't buy the car because it was limited production - I bought it because I wanted it. I wish there were more of them made so more folk could enjoy them. Be patient and enjoy what you have now and wait m2 or what ever comes along and catches your fancy . Also lets all enjoy what we have and stop the car wars.

holly

A few of my favorite former cars; there is always the next car:
1960 Twin cam MGA
1962 VW Bus with port hole windows & canvas sun roof
1977 Audi 100Ls Unreliable but very pretty
1984 Rabbit Conv. - on GTI platform before it became a muffy car.
1988 Scirocco 16V
1992 Corrado Vr6
1994 325is
1997 M3
2001 Z3 3.0
2002 M3
2011 1M
The next car- I can't wait to see what I'll drive when I'm really old. Hopefully it will be an M car.
Appreciate 0