BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-01-2011, 04:57 AM   #1
AMGKLR
Australia
Rep
Drives: Nissan 370z

N54 Fact Finding!

G'day All,

My name is Morgan, new to the forum and in the process of ditching my 370z for a 135i.

Looking at a N54 for my budget.

Wondering if somebody would be so kind to answer my questions

1. Silly question, I notice some crazy 1/4 times. You able to do this in the 6 speed auto in the 08-10s? or are all the mod bug bitten people using the 6 speed manual?

2. In relation to right hand drive / left hand drive thing and ordering parts from the U.S . Do all the performance parts fit? eg DP's, intakes, BOVs, exhaust etc? Reading between the lines I think they do apart from dps? can somebody confirm?

3. Last question, AFE intakes. Any good? seems to be the only intake popping up however I notice alot use the BMS intake.

4. What seems to be the average @ the wheels with a turbo back, tune, intake?

Thanks for your time!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 05:11 AM   #2
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

1. Silly question, I notice some crazy 1/4 times. You able to do this in the 6 speed auto in the 08-10s? or are all the mod bug bitten people using the 6 speed manual?

I dont think we have anyone in the 8-9s quarter mile. A few of the N54 are in the 10s though - I know LostMarine has an AT Gearbox

Though at the power level they are pulling you need to rebuild your gear box as the stock box won't handle that much power.

2. In relation to right hand drive / left hand drive thing and ordering parts from the U.S . Do all the performance parts fit? eg DP's, intakes, BOVs, exhaust etc? Reading between the lines I think they do apart from dps? can somebody confirm?

Everything seems to fit beside the DP - Get AR Design for 100% fitment

3. Last question, AFE intakes. Any good? seems to be the only intake popping up however I notice alot use the BMS intake.

Id say go for BMS intake is cheap and does the same job as the AFE which is like 3x more expensive!

250-260kw from what I read on the forum

Guys correct me if I am giving him the wrong information
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 05:19 AM   #3
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

yep what he said...

except Rai I think when he asked "You able to do this in the 6 speed auto in the 08-10s?" i'm pretty sure he was talking about the model year, not time in seconds....

so OP to answer your question, autos dominate the fastest quarter mile times.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
AMGKLR
Australia
Rep

Hey Guys,

Thank you for your quick post.

Yeah I was talking about the 6 speed auto 2008 - 2010

Coming from a N/A background, guys posting doing 12's etc is huge for me lol.

I'm after real world performance. Not after to be a dyno king, just sussing out if there is much difference between the 6 speeds auto and manual performance wise in the real world.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 05:45 AM   #5
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Ditch the Zed. I have blown away many 370's. Just no match for 3.0 TT.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 05:47 AM   #6
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Transmission wise, they are both fast. Auto is faster... manuals will have more driver involvement... yeh speed shouldn't be a deciding factor, more on personal preference, lifestyle etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 06:07 AM   #7
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGKLR View Post
G'day All,

My name is Morgan, new to the forum and in the process of ditching my 370z for a 135i.

Hey there Morgan! Welcome to the forums. You'll find us to be a very friendly information source

Quote:

11s are quite easy with bolt ons and drag radials. Any model year that has the N54 can achieve this. Both the auto and manual can achieve this time, but obviously it's easier with an auto.

Quote:

Everything you mentioned there fits. Check out my sig, I've got all those installed. AR Design downpipes definitely work. Some of the other brands have problems with the O2 sensor.

Quote:

Wouldn't waste my money on the aFe, BMS do the same if not better job for $95. Since intakes all do the same thing, the cheaper the better unless you're looking for aesthetics.

Quote:

Thanks for your time!!!
I assume by turbo-back you mean downpipes, and that's the only exhaust mod that adds any real gains.

You should expect with PROcede/JB4 piggies (both are EXCELLENT and extensively used by the whole N54 community), downpipes and intake to give around 270kwatw @15psi. That's a spend of little more than $2,000 to achieve that power!

With full bolt-ons (FBO) which is tune/DPs/meth injection, you'll easily see 300kwatw. The stock manual tranny can handle north of 335kwatw stock with no issues, you might want to look into better fluids for the auto.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 06:17 AM   #8
AMGKLR
Australia
Rep

I can't believe the power you guys are getting!.

I had to bust my balls and sell my body for 229kw @ the wheels and 0 torque haha. (thanks N/A)

What seems to be the loss in kw between a stock man and auto dynoed back to back?

I'm seeing the manual gets anywhere between 180-190? Any feedback on the auto?

My Z is manual so it doesn't really bother me which way I go. However I'm ready to shoot someone with the road works on the western ring road in Melbourne! hence why the auto!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 06:24 AM   #9
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I can't believe the power you guys are getting!.

I had to bust my balls and sell my body for 229kw @ the wheels and 0 torque haha. (thanks N/A)

What seems to be the loss in kw between a stock man and auto dynoed back to back?

I'm seeing the manual gets anywhere between 180-190? Any feedback on the auto?

My Z is manual so it doesn't really bother me which way I go. However I'm ready to shoot someone with the road works on the western ring road in Melbourne! hence why the auto!
Haha you'll be laughing as soon as you get yourself into a turbo car! Not only that, our N54s are SUPREMELY tuneable due to the massive tolerances built into our drivetrains.

My car dynoed stock 188kwatw, I think autos are comparable. The steptronic auto on the 135i's will completely change your perception of automatics. It's quite simply one of the BEST 2 pedal cars I have ever driven, this includes dual clutch transmissions. Since the torque converter locks up anyway, you won't be experiencing losses so power difference between auto and manual are negligible.

My own car is a manual so that is definitely high praise. You won't be disappointed with either choice, the auto feels like an SMG transmission in sports mode!

I hope you don't rely on that gimmicky system on the 370Z and actually know how to heel-toe

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 06:25 AM   #10
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

If you don't mind either way, auto is quicker than manual. There isn't much between the two transmission as far as I know. Recent Brisbane Dyno day the tune only cars are getting 230rwkw.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 06:25 AM   #11
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

auto/manual dyno with very similar figures so the drivetrain loss would be negligible...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 06:34 AM   #12
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
With tune and downpipes you are really looking at about 255kw i doubt anyone is pulling 270 with just that! 180-190 stock, tune brings it to around 235.

I don't think anyone is actually in the 10's yet? Plenty of 11s though. Only two cars in oz with 11.9's.

Autos best for 1/4 mile.

A tune and downpipe car with decent rubber should be able to mid to low 12's.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 06:35 AM   #13
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

G'day All,

Those times are actually done with the auto. Most drag guys prefer them for high consistency

Most of the important ones are identical. I cant really think of one that isnt, besides boost gauges and other interior pieces.

Youll find that on the N54 the stock intake is best. The AFE and Injen and other open filter intakes are the worst, they suck in hot underhood air and lead to higher IATs and reduced power.

The only good intakes are the ones that supplement the stock intake box (ie Dinan, Stett and similar)

Youll have to add an FMIC, DVs, and possibly a supplementary oil cooler to that list. But expect low 400s crank, high 300s wheels, with that.

But the N54 isnt about power, youll notice that on almost all tunes the torque numbers are higher than the peak HP numbers. Thats why the N54 is so good below 120mph, perfect for the 1/4 mile.

Thanks for your time!!!

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 06:40 AM   #14
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Youll have to add an FMIC, DVs, and possibly a supplementary oil cooler to that list. But expect low 400s crank, high 300s wheels, with that.

But the N54 isnt about power, youll notice that on almost all tunes the torque numbers are higher than the peak HP numbers. Thats why the N54 is so good below 120mph, perfect for the 1/4 mile.

Thanks for your time!!!
I'd add meth before I put on an FMIC, and then after that the gains are pretty much negligible with the FMIC.

Otherwise, spot on!

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 06:42 AM   #15
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
Hey there Morgan! Welcome to the forums. You'll find us to be a very friendly information source
I'm neither friendly nor informative!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 06:44 AM   #16
AMGKLR
Australia
Rep

haha, nah I can heel and toe buddy.

Thank you all for taking the time to answer me! I was worried you guys might think I'm a keyboard racer and talking crap.

We get them all the on the Z club forums. 17 year olds with dreams haha.

Watch this space all, I'll be hear to stay soon!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 06:59 AM   #17
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by banglemangle View Post
I'm neither friendly nor informative!
You're just a friendly old coot and you know it!

As for the informative part, you seem to be a fountain of knowledge for the d4d playdo.

Quote:
haha, nah I can heel and toe buddy.

Thank you all for taking the time to answer me! I was worried you guys might think I'm a keyboard racer and talking crap.

We get them all the on the Z club forums. 17 year olds with dreams haha.

Watch this space all, I'll be hear to stay soon!
No worries, you'll find these forums quite a bit different. Feel free to drop in with questions at any time.

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 07:10 AM   #18
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
With tune and downpipes you are really looking at about 255kw i doubt anyone is pulling 270 with just that! 180-190 stock, tune brings it to around 235.

I don't think anyone is actually in the 10's yet? Plenty of 11s though. Only two cars in oz with 11.9's.

Autos best for 1/4 mile.

My bad I thought LostMarine broke the 10s but it seems his fastest was 11.1!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 07:11 AM   #19
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
RaihaX: Yeah I think there are a few cars that can do 10's but just haven't quite got there for various reasons...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 07:14 AM   #20
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Autos best for 1/4 mile.

Double post ?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 07:16 AM   #21
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Autos best for 1/4 mile.

270kwatw with tune and downpipes is definitely possible, IIRC both Justin's and Kenny's car pulled that no issues. My car pulled 251kwatw with only 13psi and downpipes and overrich AFR, so 270 will be no issue when I go back again for a dyno at 15psi.

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 07:17 AM   #22
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Yeah no idea how that happened it was like 10 minutes after!
Appreciate 0