BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #1
AdamsGuitar
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i

Stereo Upgrade Advice?

Hey, guys, new to the forum and the proud new owner of a 2012 135i coupe.

While I'd have loved to get the HK audio package, I was dead-set on getting a 6MT and the available vehicles were pretty limited. While the car has almost all of the options I wanted (it's also missing the HomeLink mirror...*sigh*), unfortunately the HK package isn't on the list. The car is supposed to get here tomorrow, so I haven't actually heard the stock system, but from what I've read so far it sounds like the highest praise that people have for it is "eh...it's OK".

What are my options for upgrading the stock stereo? This is a lease, so anything permanent (i.e. cutting) is out.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Fumus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 xDrive28i

I have asked these questions here too. I think the best thing for you to do is search around the forum and see what others have posted on the subject and what others have done.

You can upgrade the components...i.e. the amp, deck, speakers and subs and then swap them back when you need to trade it in.

I still have the stock stereo in mine and I don't hate it. The only thing I don't like is not having the ipod dock. It by far blows away the sound systems that I had in my previous cars but some posters in here might comparing the system to other high end vehicles...as it is a BMW.

Just my 2 cents...get it, listen for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
AdamsGuitar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumus View Post
I have asked these questions here too. I think the best thing for you to do is search around the forum and see what others have posted on the subject and what others have done.

You can upgrade the components...i.e. the amp, deck, speakers and subs and then swap them back when you need to trade it in.

I still have the stock stereo in mine and I don't hate it. The only thing I don't like is not having the ipod dock. It by far blows away the sound systems that I had in my previous cars but some posters in here might comparing the system to other high end vehicles...as it is a BMW.

Just my 2 cents...get it, listen for yourself.
Yeah, I did a little cursory searching, but admittedly I didn't look as hard as I probably should have.

I got the smartphone integration with the iDrive system (and I made the dealer throw in the iPod/iPhone snap-in as part of the deal), so I should be OK on that front.

The stereo in the 2007 Acura MDX that I turned in was fine for me, but I also had the sport package which I *think* had an upgraded stereo. I guess I won't know for sure until tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

Stock radio isn't horrible but not great either. The base system in my old 2004 Acrua TL blew this thing away and that car was 8 years old. The system in my Lexus RX (base, not the Mark Levinson) is better than the BMW but not outstanding.
I agree listen to to and live with it for a while and see what you think.
I'm not delieriously happy with it but probably not unhappy enough to put in an aftermarket system either.
      05-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Do a search on here for Alpine H-Fi Upgrade. It's an OEM aftermarket kit that is plug-n-play.

That or msg VP Electricity if you want something more custom. He can provide good advice..
      05-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Congrats on the new ride. My advice would be to give the "BMW Professional" radio that comes with your 135 a chance.
While the HK is definitely better sounding, the system you're getting sounds infinitely better than the stock stereos that
shipped with the cars just a few years back. Keep in mind that many here that clamor for an immediate "upgrade" are
used to having spent thousands of dollars in audio improvements to their previous vehicles. Judge for yourself...not by
the opinions voiced here.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
AdamsGuitar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section147 View Post
Congrats on the new ride. My advice would be to give the "BMW Professional" radio that comes with your 135 a chance.
While the HK is definitely better sounding, the system you're getting sounds infinitely better than the stock stereos that
shipped with the cars just a few years back. Keep in mind that many here that clamor for an immediate "upgrade" are
used to having spent thousands of dollars in audio improvements to their previous vehicles. Judge for yourself...not by
the opinions voiced here.
Will do, not to worry Though, in the interest of full disclosure, I used to be one of those people. While I didn't do any upgrades in my previous vehicle (the aforementioned MDX), I am a bit of an audiophile *and* like things a bit loud, so we'll see.

I've been looking at the Alpine upgrade and it's interesting. The dealer's shipping company royally screwed up (the car was supposed to be here Monday and now it'll "probably" be here Friday), so the dealer has been asking me what they can do to make it up to me (I've been driving a 328i loaner in the meantime). I'm considering asking them for the Alpine upgrade; does this seem reasonable?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #8
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsGuitar View Post
I'm considering asking them for the Alpine upgrade; does this seem reasonable?
It sure ain't gonna hurt to ask!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
Gimlet
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM 135i

Alpine upgrade is a good route. Add to that the SWS-8 subs and you'll have a very good setup. I'm very pleased with the results in my car -
      05-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
AdamsGuitar
Rep

In the interest of shooting for the moon, I've asked him if they can retrofit the HK stereo, though I'm quite certain he'll say no. Might make my request for the Alpine kit a little more palatable, though!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsGuitar View Post
In the interest of shooting for the moon, I've asked him if they can retrofit the HK stereo,
though I'm quite certain he'll say no. Might make my request for the Alpine kit a little
more palatable, though!
Sounds like you've got a good future - or background - in sales!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #12
AdamsGuitar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section147 View Post
Sounds like you've got a good future - or background - in sales!
I am going to let the fact that I'm new to this forum temper my response to this suggestion
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
If it's not part of the standard system then the most important upgrade you can make will be to add subwoofers. That may entail an amp too, but if you're concerned about costs that's the biggest bang for the buck.
      05-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #14
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Retrofitting Hk is neither cost effective nor the best use of $875 (factory purchase cost). If you are an audiophile much netter upgrades can be had for the same price (or more depending on taste)

Im not sure if youll have "hifi" or "stereo" out of the factory. I think the first. If this is the case then the alpine upgrade is not for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #15
Cobb2819
Some Random Audio Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1981 R80GS/PD

I would see if there are any forum members around you to see what they have done, and what it sounds like. There are some amazing options but between those options are lots of differences in sound.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #16
Fumus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 xDrive28i

IMHO - the alpine upgrade is expensive and you don't get that much. You could blow that away with a bit of research over at crutchfield and then buying the equipment/speakers etc. somewhere cheaper like sonic electronic.

Good luck though.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #17
rogm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I

I am thinking about selling my 4 month old kit I purchase from musicar, let me know if you are interested.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #18
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogm
I am thinking about selling my 4 month old kit I purchase from musicar, let me know if you are interested.
Why?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #19
Mr. Nice
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 Comp XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumus View Post
IMHO - the alpine upgrade is expensive and you don't get that much. You could blow that away with a bit of research over at crutchfield and then buying the equipment/speakers etc. somewhere cheaper like sonic electronic.

Good luck though.
Agreed. I just upgraded all the speakers to MB quardts, bought the HK tweeter housings and threw in mb quardt tweets, changed the subs out for the sw8's and added a mono amp to power the subs and a 4 channel to power the speakers. Sounds awesome.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #20
skeeler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nice View Post
Agreed. I just upgraded all the speakers to MB quardts, bought the HK tweeter housings and threw in mb quardt tweets, changed the subs out for the sw8's and added a mono amp to power the subs and a 4 channel to power the speakers. Sounds awesome.
This is the approach I was looking at taking in my 2012. I assume you kept your factory head unit and controls and just bypass the factory amplifier? No signal processing? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #21
Mr. Nice
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 Comp XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeler View Post
This is the approach I was looking at taking in my 2012. I assume you kept your factory head unit and controls and just bypass the factory amplifier? No signal processing? Thanks!
correct, although there was no factory amp in mine, the base system was even worse in 10 and 11 believe it or not
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #22
skeeler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Black

Did the base audio system change for 2012? I wonder if I have a factory amplifier in mine....
Appreciate 0