BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-30-2013, 12:51 AM   #1
Meijo
BEASTIE
Rep
Drives: ///1M Beast

Meisterschaft Exhaust Combo's

Hi.
What sort of combinations are you guys running with your Meisterschaft axle back exhausts.

I currently have the N55 mids hooked up to the Meisterschaft axle back.. Have put about 5K kms on them..

The drone around 2K to 2.3K seems to be just getting worse and worse.

Was considering fitting 2 inline resonators to the N55"s to help eliminate the drone, although it might quieten the exhaust note a bit too much..

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, as I love my Meisterschaft..

PS... Still running the OEM DP's.

Last edited by Meijo; 01-30-2013 at 12:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 01:58 AM   #2
spyder562
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

I think we all have the same problem. I only get it on 6 gear around 72-75mpg. I have learned to live with it for the past 2 years.

I also have stock DP and a friend with AR DP, has the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

I have the Berk mid and Meisterschaft and it is REALLY bad. I just ordered the N55 mid which should help some but I am still expecting drone. With the Berk the drone is so bad in 6th that even the stereo won't drown it out.

Prev - AW 1M #43 USA
Meisterschaft, N55 mids, AFE CAI, ER Charge, Wagner IC
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
get yourself in higher rpm and lower gear to make the drone go away otherwise yes, you have to live with it, ive had all combos of stock dps, stock midpipes, n55 midpipes, AR downpipes and meisterschaft section 1 straight midpipes, the drone is there at different levels. best way to combat it is again, lower gear and it goes away
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

I must be crazy because my car has meisterschaft midpipes and stock dp and catback and I don't really notice any excessive drone?
      01-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
I must be crazy because my car has meisterschaft midpipes and stock dp and catback and I don't really notice any excessive drone?
I think people are more commenting on combinations that work with the meisterschaft axelback to deliver less drone.

You probably have no drone because you have a stock catback.

Everyone also has different tolerances for drone and depending on ones driving style, some may experience it more than others. I personally accept that drone is usually unavoidable to some extent with the more aggressive aftermarket exhausts.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
Meijo
BEASTIE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
I think people are more commenting on combinations that work with the meisterschaft axelback to deliver less drone.

You probably have no drone because you have a stock catback.

Everyone also has different tolerances for drone and depending on ones driving style, some may experience it more than others. I personally accept that drone is usually unavoidable to some extent with the more aggressive aftermarket exhausts.
Thanks guys for your replies to date.

To clarify..
I had the N55 mids on initially, with drone between the 2K -2.3K rev range at all speeds.

Replaced the N55's last week with the OEM mids and the drone is still present, in the same rev range, although slightly more muted.
Only thing is, with the OEM mids, I have lost engine responsivness down low and their is now lag in the low rev range, due to the two mid cats.

Was planning on having 2 resonators fitted to the N55's to hopefully reduce or eliminate drone.

Was hoping someone has already tried this, and can give some sort of positive feedback.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep

I can live with the drone I am getting but if I can lessen it some that would be good. However, I'll gladly deal with it for the WOT sound that this exhaust produces!

I haven't tried this but there was a thread somewhere on the board about packing the compartment in the trunk with towels or something. I seem to remember some saying that it reduced the drone. But I think in cars with the HK stereo there is a amp there that needs space to keep cool? I'm not completely sure though because I haven't raise the full panel beyond the battery area.

Prev - AW 1M #43 USA
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #9
Meijo
BEASTIE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnime View Post
I can live with the drone I am getting but if I can lessen it some that would be good. However, I'll gladly deal with it for the WOT sound that this exhaust produces!

I haven't tried this but there was a thread somewhere on the board about packing the compartment in the trunk with towels or something. I seem to remember some saying that it reduced the drone. But I think in cars with the HK stereo there is a amp there that needs space to keep cool? I'm not completely sure though because I haven't raise the full panel beyond the battery area.
True...In Oz we have the HK amp in that space.

What mid pipes are you running mate?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:

I have HK stereo and my amp is not located there but inside the driver's side rear trunk side panel. I know that others' amp are located there though. I guess it all depends on the equipment configuration of each car and/or the market, you need to check that first. I can tell you that IF you don't have the amp there you will very likely notice a significant improvement in minimizing or eliminating the drone just by putting a towel etc. in it. I tried the opposite, let the trunk base cover a bit loose from the edges like when it is not properly/tightly closed and I couldn't believe how high and annoying drone became.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #11
MusclesCoupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Front to back

AR design dateless dp
N55 mid
Axle back meisterschaft
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 03:46 AM   #12
Meijo
BEASTIE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc@schnellwerkes.com View Post
Front to back

AR design dateless dp
N55 mid
Axle back meisterschaft
Thanks..Your drone must be excessive with the added catless DP's?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 05:26 AM   #13
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Here is that thread: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=759270

Also reported in the issues log: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=1
      01-31-2013, 07:52 AM   #14
p66
First Lieutenant
Rep

I have the Eisenmann race and n55. Drone is minimal. My problem was a resonance and rattle around 2k-2.5k rpm. I layed down a sheet of dynamat and a layer of carpet pad in the open section of the trunk and it really helped. Less drone and less rattle. Also less exhaust note
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #15
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meijo View Post
True...In Oz we have the HK amp in that space.

What mid pipes are you running mate?
currently Berk Mids (replacing with the N55's)
Miesterschaft axel back

I knew it would be loud and that there would be drone, so don't get me wrong. I am not about it, but if I can change the drone from occuring at 2500-2700 RMP down to 2100-2300 RPM it would make a wold of difference to me and my style of driving.

And if not, I'll spend a little more on gas and run in a lower gear

Prev - AW 1M #43 USA
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 09:11 PM   #16
Meijo
BEASTIE
Rep

Thanks again for the replies...

Looks like we all have some sort of drone with the Meisterschaft... So will re install the N55 mids tomorrow morning..

Meanwhile... I will rubber line the hollowed out boot/trunk compartment tonight, to reduce drone.

I am using 3mm Everroll sound deadening flooring rubber.. We use this in our Spin/Cycle room, at out fitness centre to reduce accoustic booming from the sound system..

Fingers crossed..

Last edited by Meijo; 01-31-2013 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #17
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
So Maddad mids with Meisterschaft would be full of drone?
The maddads have resonators IIRC? If so that'll help a ton, adding Berk mids to my setup more or less got rid of 6th gear cruising drone. The muffler for the 1m is obviously a bit different, but the general sound/tone is going to be very similar coming from an N54.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #18
Meijo
BEASTIE
Rep

Quote:
Meanwhile... I will rubber line the hollowed out boot/trunk compartment tonight, to reduce drone.

I am using 3mm Everroll sound deadening flooring rubber.. We use this in our Spin/Cycle room, at out fitness centre to reduce accoustic booming from the sound system..

Fingers crossed..
Well that was a waste of time...

Even rubber lined the battery compartment to eliminate resonating in the open spaces..

Made NO DIFFERENCE to the drone..

Infact, the drone lasts over a broader rev range with the OEM mids installed than when I had the N55 mids installed.. go figure.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #19
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Well that was a waste of time...

Even rubber lined the battery compartment to eliminate resonating in the open spaces..

Made NO DIFFERENCE to the drone..

Infact, the drone lasts over a broader rev range with the OEM mids installed than when I had the N55 mids installed.. go figure.
Nothing surprising about the OEM mids, they are crap and they drone much more than N55 mids. I couldn't figure anything good about them yet.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #20
Meijo
BEASTIE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Nothing surprising about the OEM mids, they are crap and they drone much more than N55 mids. I couldn't figure anything good about them yet.
True...Must be the "fake" resonator in the OEM mids, that's causing all the excessive drone.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #21
River Rat
Private First Class
Rep

I have the axle back exhaust paired with Supersprint DeCatted front and non-resonated center exhaust.. and its just beautifully LOUD !!

On another note.. I have noticed my right two exhaust pipes become dirtier faster, than the two on the left. Does anyone else have this?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #22
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
I have the axle back exhaust paired with Supersprint DeCatted front and non-resonated center exhaust.. and its just beautifully LOUD !!

On another note.. I have noticed my right two exhaust pipes become dirtier faster, than the two on the left. Does anyone else have this?
God! That combo must be audible from mainland China
Appreciate 0