BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
robert.payne
Private
Rep
Drives:

Aaarggh! Blue or Black?

I've got an appointment with my CA to order my 135i tomorrow morning and I still can't decide on color.

Like many, I've been following the development of this car, and mostly lurking on the forums for months. I've always thought that since my last two BMWs were silver and gray, I was ready for a little color in my life.

The Sedona pictures have been my favorite for quite some time now. Unfortunately, when I finally saw one in person last week, while I didn't really dislike it, the color just didn't sing to me. I don't know, maybe too much copper.

On the other hand, the Black Sapphire Metallic parked next to it was flippin' gorgeous. :eyebulge: I've always sworn that I would never own a black car, but I just couldn't stop looking at it. Magnificent. It looked so much meaner than the Sedona did.

And then there's Montego Blue. I haven't found a dealer with one that I could see in person, but my wife's Montego 335i coupe is beautiful in the sunlight.

Don't even get me started on the interior colors. For simplicity, I'll just go with Lemon. I think either the blue or the black would look wonderful with that interior color.

So... black and be banished to a life on never ending car washes? or blue and have two in the drive way? :bangdesk:
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
Taki
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Keep in mind that Montego isn't exactly a light color, so cleanliness is still going to be important. I drive a blue car now, and it's a great color, but I also want something different and love the way the 1 looks in black.
I don't expect to have any problem keeping it clean, but maybe that will change after a couple years...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Go with your gut and forget the practicalities. The LeMans blue is great with lemon, but black, well, you saw it. So what if you have to go to the carwash more often?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I went Jet-Black. There is nothing quite like a Jet-Black BMW. Pure class. Oh course I am getting a Vert, so it is much less car to keep clean and waxed LOL. I'm generally not a fan of "sparkely paint" although the Grey looks awesome with that. The sparkley Black kinda reminds me of something from "Hello Kitty". But that's me, lol.
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 04:33 PM   #5
M3_Dust
Michelin Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M Sport

black is the best looking color on the E82 IMHO
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 05:33 PM   #6
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
Best of both worlds.............Monaco Blue
Very dark for that black look at night and blue look in bright sun

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 05:43 PM   #7
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP 135i View Post

Was going to say the same thing ....

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 06:12 PM   #8
3toM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i EB Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP 135i View Post

I was going to say this too. Monaco seems almost black in low light conditions and in bright light seems to be more of a dark navy IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 06:18 PM   #9
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

I was in this same situation. I had to walk away from my first day at the dealership before placing my deposit. I couldn't decide which color to get so I had to sleep on it. I ended up going with Montego Blue because I figured there would be a ton of black 135i's (i.e. Demo/Fleet models).

Plus for some reason I felt like the Montego was more of a "BMW" color than the Black. But that value is insignificant to others.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 06:21 PM   #10
dclee1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

+1 for monaco blue! for the above reasons. Check out the official monaco blue thread for pics of the color in a variety of conditions.
      04-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #11
Templedogg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, Trailblazer SS, 1934 PU

I am partial to Montego since that is what I have, but it is such an amazing color with different shades on every angle regardless of lighting conditions. It really shows off the cars lines. Where black looks sleek and nice still but it is still just always black with black accents on the lines. I really suggest you go look at both in person if you can, but do not use a 335i for a Montego comparison because the Montego on the 135i looks 100 times better because it has more angles.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 06:47 PM   #12
robert.payne
Private
Rep
Drives:

Hey all. I fully understand that ultimately color choice is an individual one. I really didn't expect you guys to choose my car color for me, obviously. I just needed to vent my frustration. Thanks for being understanding and supporting my indecisiveness.

So, back on topic.

From one of the other threads, this is the picture that is really pushing me toward black.

It just looks so damn sexy.:biggrin:

-robert
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #13
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

Hi,

I have seena few Monaco Blues... it was my first choice, but in my part of the world, it just looks mediocre even worse than black and blue.
Don't get me wrong, I drive a metallic dark blue car, and I ordered Black Sapphire (May, baby! sorry...)... but I'll put it to you this way: you fell in love with the black, but there is maintenance.
Now, I can tell you from EXPERIENCE, that blue is almost just as bad. And you already own a blue car.
So, get black.

So what if you have to wash it? You will love the car anyways... all relationships need some maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 07:33 PM   #14
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

I would say Montego. It is a medium bright blue and will be much easier to keep clean compared to black. I have had medium/dark blue before, and now have black. I HATE BLACK. It looks great WHEN?? Its clean. And I like to keep my car spotless, maybe thats why I hate black. Beautiful 5% of the time.

SORRY black owners, just my 2 cents, he asked and I told.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 07:57 PM   #15
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

fair enough. It's a personal choice and balance of ratios; like all options and like financing/leasing/etc.

One thing I forgot to say, if you get Black, you almost have to buy some sort of paint protecting film.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 08:51 PM   #16
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post
I would say Montego. It is a medium bright blue and will be much easier to keep clean compared to black. I have had medium/dark blue before, and now have black. I HATE BLACK. It looks great WHEN?? Its clean. And I like to keep my car spotless, maybe thats why I hate black. Beautiful 5% of the time.

Then buy a Jet-Black Vert like me! Only half the car to keep clean, which on a 1 Vert is NOT very much at all. lol.
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 09:03 PM   #17
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

^^^YAH. TOO bad I don't have a garage, can own only 1 car, and live where it snows-Northern IL.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 09:41 PM   #18
robert.payne
Private
Rep
Drives:

It's been a fun read tonight, fellas. Thanks. I especially liked the bit about "hello kitty".

Unfortunately, for me, I'm still not really any closer to making up my mind. I keep flip-flopping. (Curse you BMW for making both colors look so spectacular.)

So here's my next question: after I sign my paperwork tomorrow and my order gets placed, how long will I have to change my mind before the color is locked in on the production run?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 09:54 PM   #19
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert.payne View Post
It's been a fun read tonight, fellas. Thanks. I especially liked the bit about "hello kitty".

Unfortunately, for me, I'm still not really any closer to making up my mind. I keep flip-flopping. (Curse you BMW for making both colors look so spectacular.)

So here's my next question: after I sign my paperwork tomorrow and my order gets placed, how long will I have to change my mind before the color is locked in on the production run?
I'm ordering black and saying to hell with worrying about keeping it clean. For some reason, this car begs for that color. Either way, you can't go wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 10:21 PM   #20
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post

I've been driving the Jet Black now for a couple of weeks. It's not anything near as bad as you suggest. That's just an extreme over-reaction.

The airborne particles visibly show up quicker on black than on the lighter colors, that's true. But, on the other hand, I hardly see that ugly black brake dust all over the rear half of the wheel wells like I always did on the lighter cars, especially on the white ones.

And, once the black car gets its Zaino or Griots paint treatment, much of the dust will just slide or blow right off.
More difficult? Yes, a little. A nightmare? No way!

Sexiest color for the 1er?... Jet Black, without any doubt!
      04-04-2008, 10:30 PM   #21
alivebacon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Oh my god I need to get the clear turn signals in the front instead of Amber. That looks SO clean!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 11:11 PM   #22
malves85
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Black is hot. The only reason im not getting black is because i know I wont have the time to keep it looking clean. If you put in the work the car will be beautiful. Clear turn signals and tinted windows would just complete the car so well giving it an amazing look.
Blue is good too but im just not a big fan. its easier to keep clean which is a plus.
Create a picture with both color 135s side by side and put it as your deskop background and also print it out. See which color you get tired of looking at first.
Appreciate 0