BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-10-2012, 04:55 AM   #23
MarkW112
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dko3tgk View Post
Plus call me paranoid, but I don't like the idea of someone being able to open the car door if I'm not right at the door unlocking it. In my house it's dangerous since my living room overhangs my driveway. With comfort access someone could just drive away with my car while I was in my house.

I don't have either feature, but between the two options the first is more valuable.
With Comfort Access you can open the car doors with the key in close proximity to the car, eg inside your house if the key is only a couple of metres from the car; but there's a second proximity sensor that looks for the key INSIDE the car before you can then start up the car (and drive it off). It's very tight and won't allow you to start up the car before the key is actually inside the vehicle.

As above though, HK and PDC as you'll get more use out of them; though CA is very nice to have, and you miss it when you don't have it!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 05:53 AM   #24
__ivy__
Rep
Drives: 128 vert on order

HK. Had PDC and CA on my 550. It's been gone over a year, and I don't miss those features.

A 1er is not exactly the Queen Mary when you parallel park.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 06:01 AM   #25
MarkW112
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I've been without CA for 6 months now, and I definitely miss it every time I get in, start up, and get out of the car; but if you've never had it you won't. So my vote still goes to HK and PDC - it is a relatively small car, but we can all make mistakes (even if it's someone reversing up to you and you then know when to give them a "honk"!), and the cost of PDC is nothing compared to how much a resprayed bumper would be, IMO...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #26
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
I have both in my 2012 128. Get the HK. Its a no brainer. CA is just a gimmick. Actually have the PDC also. I have not found it to be a bit helpful, just a bit annoying when backing out of my garage
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #27
Fleethammer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW/CR 135i

I have all three options in my car (it's an 08 though), and I can say that the HK system is pretty outstanding as far as stock systems go. Comfort Access is a complete joke. BMW really missed the mark there. There are a lot of complaints about the key fob range, which seems to change from five feet one day to as much as 15 feet another. You also will have to manually unlock the car most of the time by pressing the fob button, which negates CA's purpose of being able to walk up to the car and have it unlock for you by grabbing the handle. If you walk up to the car and expect it to open every time just b/c you have the key in your pocket, you will be sadly disappointed. When inside, 9 times out of 10 I need to remove the key from my pocket as the car won't start due to "key not found". Apparently, my jeans and dress pants I wear are far thicker than those BMW used during R and D of the CA system and block the RF signal completely. I have replaced the fob battery and it did not solve the issue. Other manufacturers are way ahead in terms of features and functionality of their keyless systems. The only cool part is the folding side mirrors, which can be handy in crowded side streets, or pulling up to certain drive up windows. I wish I could remove the CA feature from my car completely and go back to a keyed ignition, as it truly is useless.

PDC is ok, and does work well, but it's just not necessary.

HK all the way
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #28
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Apparently they fixed the issues with ca for 2012. Still not a fan but it does work perfectly on my car every time.
      02-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #29
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
HK wasn't an option prior to 2011, IIRC. I have a 2010 and it definitely wasn't an option. We only had a "Premium Sound" package or something to that effect.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #30
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

HK sounds awesome.
      02-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #31
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Why not just order your car with all the options you want. ie: HK and PDC. ?
+1, including CA. If you have a little patience you can get exactly what you want, including colors, etc.

You can also choose delivery options (ED and performance) and even assure no one else has test driven your new car.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #32
BFD99
The Stig!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whostorm05 View Post
I love my CA, I just leave my keys in my pocket and never have to take them out. That being said, if I had to choose between the HK and CA, HK would win.
Agreed, Love it to, but the HK sound is so much nicer. I would give up CA for HK if i had to.
      02-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #33
J0E
Year One of the 1
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondamxracer51 View Post
ya i have hk in my e46 zhp and it sounds really good but ive never really listened to the newer base stereo. looks like my work wont have the one with hk in for another month. i dont know that i can wait. i am already trying hard to sell my old car and i dont really want to take the bus for a month,
I had an 03 E46 with the HK and was none too impressed. The HK on my '08 (and I assume it hasn't gotten worse since) is VASTLY superior in every way to the HK in my E46. If you like your current system, you are going to love the new one.

Edit: So apparently HK wasn't an option on the '08-'10. Thought it was odd there was no HK on any of the speakers. Either way, the "premium" sound system sounds excellent and I imagine the HK is just as good if not better.

Last edited by J0E; 02-15-2012 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #34
davefromfla
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M440ix

The HK option in my E46 M3 really sucked and was a waste of money. Had to add subs, etc, to get decent sound. However, the HK in the 135 is the real deal! Great sound- can't go wrong. Just want to make sure you know the difference in the past HK option and the current.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #35
Hondamxracer51
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i dct zmp

Garage List
2012 135i  [0.00]
ya mu buddy who is a salesman here at the dealership let me hear his hk in his 135 right after the one without it and it made my mind. my 135 w/ hk is on a boat somewhere between germany and here.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #36
RyanE92
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Between those two choices, go with the HK although both are somewhat disappointing in my opinion.

I had a 2006 E90 with the base stereo and it was absolute trash. The HK is the stereo that should be stock in the car. It is decent, but not up to par with other premium stereos such as what Acura offers.

CA is nice for starting the car but doesn't matter beyond that. For example, I park on the street in front of my house and the passenger side is closest. When I have a passenger, I use the remote to unlock since the passenger will get to his or her door before I get to the driver's side. It also works no more than half the time for the trunk.

I've been loyal to BMW for several years, but have been shopping alternatives and it made me realize again that BMW's prices and implementation for options is just silly sometimes.
      02-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #37
dry_heat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I cannot attest to the sound quality of the HK system, as my car doesn't have it, but from what it sounds, it's almost a "must-have" option. The sound system on my '09 is more than acceptable, but I feel that the sound could be "fuller" and a bit clearer, especially when not blasting it.

I can't speak for the PDC, but I've been driving cars with a wide range of visibility over the past 8 years I've been driving, and I've personally never seen the need for this kind of thing. If you can't back up a car without hitting something, I feel something early-on in your driving education was missing.

Now, as far as the Comfort Access, I understand why people don't see the need for it or its value when they don't have it, but having spent a month behind the wheel of my BMW now, I can say that the CA is hands down one of my favorite features. It is a bit buggy sometimes, but not nearly as much Fleethammer has reported (I suggest he visits the dealer if the car is still under warranty).

I can't say how convenient it is to be able to just walk up to the car with my laptop bag and not have to fish my keys out of my pocket to open the doors. The same goes for locking; no key handling required. And since I usually wear cargo pants, I don't have to worry about the bulge of my key chain in my right pocket annoying me.

I haven't had any issues with the car detecting the key fob, and after having the keys slip out of my pocket a couple times, I've never had the car lock my keys inside.

The convenience of being able to turn off the car but leave the stereo on and the windows open, get your stuff, and then get out, only to put your finger on the handle to shut down power and close all the windows is a nice bonus. While I'd never feel like I was missing something by not having the ability to do this, now that I CAN do it, I'd hate living without it!

As someone in a thread I read a while back pointed out, one inconvenience that can arguably be turned into an asset is that if you happen to be driving with your girlfriend/wife/date as a passenger, the CA kind of encourages you to open her door first like a good chivalrous gentlemen since you need the keys on you to open the door. It's that or make her wait for you to reach your door, or simply press the unlock button on your FOB. I'll take the extra moment to open her door first; that can go a long way!

Overall, I'd try to get the HK and the CA and skip on the PDC if possible. You'll live without CA if you've never had it, but once you do have it, it's hard to imagine going back to a life without it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #38
2012_135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i, 6MT, M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanE92 View Post
...The HK is the stereo that should be stock in the car. It is decent, but not up to par with other premium stereos such as what Acura offers.
I like the idea of it being stock but beg to differ on it not being up to par with others. Or maybe the Bose system in my wife's Audi A3 is lacking because the HK system in my 2012 135i blows it away.
      02-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #39
tazzydnc
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe MT, N55, PPK

well my comfort access never works and the stock sound system sucks, so I say go for the HK