BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-05-2010, 05:41 AM   #45
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Sorry if you misunderstood, sometimes diffiicult to explain without a picture! That's why I put hole in " " . What I meant was the lining as seen from inside the car was not fully retracted thereby creating a gap. Imagine the zip portion on a tent. Pull it all the way down and the opening is closed. Pull it halfway down and you create a gap at the bottom - which is what I meant by "hole". Sorry for confusion.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #46
hot_ride
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
That doesnt sound very promising.. Have you pointed this out to your SA yet?
I haven't bothered, it's middle of winter here. the last time I spoke to them about it they didn't really care that they had to replace it, I was just told that this is what they do until they get further direction from BMW NA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takahashi View Post
If it is a design fault. They have to make a solution soon. Otherwise it will be replacing roof and burnt their margin.

Does Canada have lemon law like in the US?
I've never heard of it here, but I'll check it out now that you mention it
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 03:17 AM   #47
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Car went in this morning to have soft top replaced..

Have been driving a Nov/09 335i M sport coupe/ 7sp DCT / 19inch wheels /all optioned up..Absolutely gorgeous finish and trimmings on the 3 series coupe.. Really on another level.

http://sylvaniabmw.com.au/scripts/main.asp?PageID=7864

Accidently closed the boot with my bag and keys in the boot..This car has CA and the boot will not close/lock with the key in the boot.

Tried locking the boot several times and it just reopens on its own.Unlike my 135 which locks then you have to activate the boot switch to open..keeps bouncing back up..How cool is that.

The 7 speed DCT hooked up to the N54 is just awesome to drive in manual mode with the padle shifters..The shift is so seemless.

First time ever since I have had the 135 that I have missed my 06/330Ci that I traded in..

Last edited by Zuzu; 01-13-2010 at 03:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 04:37 AM   #48
Yep 135
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 manual

hi Joe
hope it all works out well for you. happy new year to you and T/Lee btw.
must be hard without the 1er.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 05:12 AM   #49
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yep 135 View Post
hi Joe
hope it all works out well for you. happy new year to you and T/Lee btw.
must be hard without the 1er.
Hi there mate..Happy new year Chris to you and Karen.

All I miss is the brute power of the JB... The stock 335 Coupe seems lame compared to my car, even with the 7 speed DCT..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #50
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Picked up the car last night from BMW with the new roof installed..

Must say, it actually looks better than new.. The soft top is tighter than new and so far ZERO wrinkles.

Forgot to pick up the BMW soft top roof wash..Ahhhh..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #51
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Car went in this morning to have soft top replaced..

Have been driving a Nov/09 335i M sport coupe/ 7sp DCT / 19inch wheels /all optioned up..Absolutely gorgeous finish and trimmings on the 3 series coupe.. Really on another level.

http://sylvaniabmw.com.au/scripts/main.asp?PageID=7864

Accidently closed the boot with my bag and keys in the boot..This car has CA and the boot will not close/lock with the key in the boot.

Tried locking the boot several times and it just reopens on its own.Unlike my 135 which locks then you have to activate the boot switch to open..keeps bouncing back up..How cool is that.

The 7 speed DCT hooked up to the N54 is just awesome to drive in manual mode with the padle shifters..The shift is so seemless.

First time ever since I have had the 135 that I have missed my 06/330Ci that I traded in..
Hey mate glad to see your soft top is all sorted and looking like new. It's interesting that you bring up the CA feature on the 335i. Mine works the same way. I've tried to shut the boot lid with my key in the boot before and it keeps popping back open. I felt like an idiot trying slamming it shut over and over again until I realised I'd left the key in there. I wonder why yours works differently?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 05:03 PM   #52
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Hey mate glad to see your soft top is all sorted and looking like new. It's interesting that you bring up the CA feature on the 335i. Mine works the same way. I've tried to shut the boot lid with my key in the boot before and it keeps popping back open. I felt like an idiot trying slamming it shut over and over again until I realised I'd left the key in there. I wonder why yours works differently?
Thanks mate..Is your car 08 like mine or 09 ?.. As the 335 was a 09..

Unless my CA settings are incorrrect or its a vert thing....
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 02:05 AM   #53
Yep 135
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 manual

Quote:

Must say, it actually looks better than new.. The soft top is tighter than new and so far ZERO wrinkles.

Now dont go throwing the ciggie butts on the roof this time!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 05:02 AM   #54
oz125
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 125M sport convertible

Quote:

there's BMW roof wash??
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 05:28 AM   #55
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz125 View Post
there's BMW roof wash??
Of course..

You just cant wash the soft top with your normal car wash products. It is recommended to only hose down the roof with clean water and then dry .Once a year or sooner depending if your car is out in the elements wash the roof with a recommended soft top wash...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 04:19 AM   #56
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

If any vert owners are having your roof replaced, take some pix of the original roofs alignment and fittament before you have it changed.

I did, and since having it replaced have picked out these four defects with new replacement roofs fit and closing procedures, hence the car is booked into the dealers this Wednesday

1. Soft top now twisted and sits flush with the bodywork on drivers side and has a 1.5cm gap on the passenger side causing a very inaffective seal when closed.

2. Everytime the roof folds away it comes out with a oily film on the inside of the rear glass panel.

3. Locking Mechanism on rear tray doesn't close/slide fully into closer.

4. New roof not as tight fitting as old roof and sort of collapses around the DS rear view window.

Also they damaged part of the trim when they replaced the roof..(Told them about this at time of picking up car)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 05:54 AM   #57
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
If any vert owners are having your roof replaced, take some pix of the original roofs alignment and fittament before you have it changed.

I did, and since having it replaced have picked out these four defects with new replacement roofs fit and closing procedures, hence the car is booked into the dealers this Wednesday

1. Soft top now twisted and sits flush with the bodywork on drivers side and has a 1.5cm gap on the passenger side causing a very inaffective seal when closed.

2. Everytime the roof folds away it comes out with a oily film on the inside of the rear glass panel.

3. Locking Mechanism on rear tray doesn't close/slide fully into closer.

4. New roof not as tight fitting as old roof and sort of collapses around the DS rear view window.

Also they damaged part of the trim when they replaced the roof..(Told them about this at time of picking up car)
A guy in a shed could do it better.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 06:00 AM   #58
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
A guy in a shed could do it better.
Yeh..I thought they rushed it a bit with the original roof replacement..

They originally quoted me two to three days for the install, yet had the car ready the same afternoon..

Careless IMO.. I will be giving the Dealer Principle and Service Mgr a few "choice" words on Wednesday for the inconvienance they have caused me and shoddy replacement..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #59
perth_vert
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1 Convertible

Looking at the past posts and came across this. Just checked my recently purchased 2008 convertible and it has the same wear mark in the same place!

It is not a hole yet but when you feel it, it is thin like a hold will appear soon. I have 11 months of warranty left.

Thanks so much Zuzu for bringing this to members attention, I would hate to think how much a new hood would cost after the warranty expires. My last convertibles hood was in excellent condition after 10 years.

Is there a defect note for this at BMW? I remember now another 1 series convertible I looked at the guy saying the roof was replaced due to a fault - probably this same fault

Last edited by perth_vert; 06-10-2013 at 01:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 02:02 AM   #60
Alpha Trion
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Convertible

will be taking a look at mine tomorrow!

I'm out of warranty and i know the headache of having anything done after warranty period.

My gearbox is still leaking oil.... at least they're fixing it... for the second time. They wanted to charge me for oil as well... HAHAHA

-Elee
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #61
135 Vert Brisbane
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 convertible

1 series convertible roof defect documentation

I know it has been a long time since there has been a post on this topic. I bought a 135 last year that came with the "Premium selection" warranty as it had only had 1 owner and always serviced and inspected by BMW.

My roof has the identical issue as many others here. This was not something that I noticed at the time of buying it, but noted to BMW on my first service after owning it (once I stumbled onto it on these forums) that it should have been identified as part of the pre-purchase inspection (or earlier) and rectified before it was even sold to me (as part of a service bulleting across all their cars).

Their response was that:
1. this was the first time they were aware of the issue
2. it is not a common problem
3. when presented with the US service bulletin that this was not applicable to Australia and could only affect US cars
4. there is no similar technical service bulletin for Australian cars

My car is out of the new car warranty, but still covered by a BMW "service warranty" (ie all parts and labour for any service related item) for another couple of months. I would really like to know whether anyone has seen (or preferably a copy) of an Australian equivalent of the US TSB for this fault. Alternatively is there any other documentation to show that BMW Aus replaced/repaired the roofs with this defect?

Much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 09:42 PM   #62
perth_vert
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1 Convertible

hi 135 Vert Brisbane,

My car was purchased 4 years old and same as yours purchased from the dealer with Premium selection warranty (the new car 3 year warranty would have expired)

I only noticed the hole after seeing this forum and would have never noticed until years later, when it was to late. It was so small that you could feel it easier that see it as the material hadn't holed more a dent with thin material.

I printed the TSB and gave that to them with the photos I had taken. BMW Australia contacted Germany and a new hood was delivered and installed 3 weeks later under warranty.

They fault is certainly world wide and it has been highlighted as a defect. I also looked at a 2009 135 E88 a few months before I got my E88 and I remember the guy said it had a new hood as there was a defect. Many Australian members on the forum had this as well.

Under Premium selection warranty the hood is not covered but this is a defect rather than a fault and I think the dealer mentioned as under 5 years old they would replace it as a detect. How old is your E88?

I would put everything in writing to the dealer and if no luck BMW Australia. If you know the person and approx date you brought it to their attention, I would document this to them as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 09:48 PM   #63
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Absolute Bull Shit by the dealer.

I had the roof on my 135i vert replaced twice under warranty.

Puma number on the Invoice attached.

Good luck.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 11:43 PM   #64
135 Vert Brisbane
Registered
Rep

Thank you very much for the quick and detailed feedback.

The 135 has 1/09 compliance plates. I bought it in late 2012 but raised the issue with the dealer in early 2013 (and have correspondence to this effect and a date stamp on the photo of the defect).

Ideally they would acknowledge that there should be a TSB (or Australian equivalent) to deal with the defect and this gives them an easy way to solve the problem for me as the car is still covered by their service warranty. I am having no luck trying to be nice with the dealer or BMW Aust so may try BMW AG who are the real owners of the brand.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 09:07 PM   #65
135 Vert Brisbane
Registered
Rep

By way of an update. BMW Aus has now agreed to apply the US TSB under the extended service warranty I have in so far as it relates to putting in the small piece to ensure the roof no longer rubs, but will not replace the roof. Given it has not worn through much, the issues others have had with the replaced roofs, the age of my roof and that it is only a cosmetic issue at this point I am happy with this action they are taking. Thanks again for the support from the forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 07:54 PM   #66
135 Vert Brisbane
Registered
Rep

Spacer put in by BMW yesterday so hopefully the damage does not get any worse. Thanks again for the support from other forum users.
Appreciate 0