BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-30-2022, 05:05 AM   #1
golfer23rm
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 125i E82 Bluewater

removal of cats

good day guys, hope everyone is well.
need some assistance or advice please.

i went over a speed bump at a mall a few weeks back, could not avoid it because of traffic and after the front wheels went over, the car went hard down in the middle. was a loud thud. after which there was a rattle in from the exhaust at the middle to front....i was hoping it was a hanger bracket.

i went to 1 exhaust shop, guy had car on and idling, started tapping exhaust and the tinny rattle was there.

he explained to me, with the bump, parts of the either 1 of the cats have broken lose and are now rattling in the piping.

now, he said i could change the headers.
other mates with 130/125 have also indicated i can remove the cats, open the existing, remove and weld closed.

i went to a second exhaust shop, the person there recommended removed cats, welding piping in place as to not have a tin noise, and adding cat foolers for the sensors.

my questions are:
1-can i just remove the cats and have the system work? no errors?
2-i plan to leave the rest of the exhaust as standard. how much noise will increase and how bad will the tin sound be? or will it be okay?

the reason i have not gutted the resonator and back box is i have an auto. With the Golf-Tee mod, i would get a drone at 100km/h at 6th and low revs. i also prefer the car quiet when cruising. I am not old, im 35. dont judge me.

i am at 168kkm, so the cats are probably clogged up.
what is the best way forward?

thanks.