BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #1695
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Owen - I had a 30% Huper Optik tint on my 2008 135, and it's a really expensive and really THICK film. In terms of the dot matrix, you'll really only notice it with that film on the edges of the two side mirrors where the dots are. Mine just would never stay. That's the only real place of concern that might bother you.

FormulaOne is the same as Llumar, which I NOW have on my 135is. If you're going to get that, get the Pinnacle Series 30% or 35% depending on what they have. FormulaOne doesn't make anything in the 25% range, and not sure if Huper Optik does either or if it jumps from 30 to 20 or 15. Get quotes from both places as the Huper Optik may cost $150-200 more. Either one is great though and you'll be happy. You also might want to ask if they can put the 80% Air tint on your windshield, too. May not be as big of a deal in Denver though and cost me $200 extra to do it.
Fantastic info. Really appreciate it. We're on the same page, because the FormulaOne is my first choice. I had heard about the thickness of the HO tint and how people had issues with it not sticking to the dots, etc.

As well, I am absolutely going to get something like the 80% on my windshield. I've read many posts about how happy owners are with the windshield tint. I hadn't heard about the 80% stuff until I went to the FormulaOne website (see link below). Were you referring to the "Air 80" series for the windshield?

http://www.formulaone.com/pdf/FormulaOneSpecSheet.pdf

Thanks again for the info.
2013 Jet Black 135is | 6MT | Coupe | #381/586

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #1696
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen2001 View Post
Fantastic info. Really appreciate it. We're on the same page, because the FormulaOne is my first choice. I had heard about the thickness of the HO tint and how people had issues with it not sticking to the dots, etc.

As well, I am absolutely going to get something like the 80% on my windshield. I've read many posts about how happy owners are with the windshield tint. I hadn't heard about the 80% stuff until I went to the FormulaOne website (see link below). Were you referring to the "Air 80" series for the windshield?

http://www.formulaone.com/pdf/FormulaOneSpecSheet.pdf

Thanks again for the info.
You get quotes from both places? I think the HO is a slightly better tint, but I don't think it'll make any real noticeable difference so might as well save your money and put it into the windshield tint.

I hadn't heard about the windshield tint til I went to get mine tinted. I thought about it long and hard and it didn't help that it was about 90 degrees that morning when I went and I swear our cars heat up a lot more than most cars, and the black interior you have like mine does not help. So, yes, I got the Air 80 on the windshield. It's basically specifically made for windshields as it gives great heat rejection but you would never know it's tinted since it lets through 78% of light. You could also have them put the 50% tint of whatever film you use on the windshield, but that's pretty ballsy and again, don't want to give cops any extra reason to pull us over. Unfortunately, I can't really give much insight into how much it helped since I got the tint about 15 hours after getting the car. But on my drive home it sure as hell felt a lot cooler and it also cuts down on the glare I noticed.

It looks like the llumar branded films are identical to the formulaone ones made by llumar, no clue why they use multiple names, but I had the 35% Llumar ATC on my S5 which I think is identical to the "Classic Series" and it also looked great if you wanted to go the cheaper route. You get much higher heat rejection with the "Pinnacle" series though which is why this go around I got this film (which didn't exist in Dec. 2010). And ya, I went through the spec sheet, which is identical to the Llumar one which I studied before I did mine.

http://www.llumar.com/pdf/en/LLumarAutoSpecsUS.pdf

So, I'd get the pinnacle one, just a question of how dark and what kind of look you want. Most places will say a darker car can take a darker tint better, but I found it to be a bit opposite, and I was having some remorse or took me awhile to get used to the dark tint against the dark car against the shadowline trim. My place didn't carry that film in 35% though otherwise I'd have gotten it for sure as it looks a lil classier than the 30%.

Plus, I feared all the lovely ladies wouldn't be able to see how handsome I was and in all my glory with the darker tint. Ha!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #1697
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You get quotes from both places?
I haven't spoken to anyone yet. Going to start the process next week. I'll post some updates when I find out more, etc.

My car (black on black) gets pretty hot here in Denver, especially on the super-hot days in the summer. I've read a lot about the heat-rejection properties of the different brands of tint, which is why I'm interested in the FormulaOne Pinnacle 30 series.

Thanks for the Llumar link. Their website was down earlier this week and I couldn't get to that spec sheet.

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #1698
Adam135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Wincos ceramic + Air80 on windshield The ultimate in heat rejection.

Huper Optik is too blue, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #1699
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen2001 View Post
I haven't spoken to anyone yet. Going to start the process next week. I'll post some updates when I find out more, etc.

My car (black on black) gets pretty hot here in Denver, especially on the super-hot days in the summer. I've read a lot about the heat-rejection properties of the different brands of tint, which is why I'm interested in the FormulaOne Pinnacle 30 series.

Thanks for the Llumar link. Their website was down earlier this week and I couldn't get to that spec sheet.
I only posted the link so you could see the spec sheets are identical, just different names, so I know those tints well. I think when you get quotes, it will probably be like $200 something for the FormulaOne Pinnacle, $400 something for the Huper Optik I bet, not including any windshield tinting.

I'll be posting some more pics too come Monday after a full exterior detail job tomorrow, so if you want any specific tint-related shots, let me know, but probably wont be able to take any of it in front of a local salon. =P
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #1700
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

[QUOTE=bp-plickner;14904554]took a ride up the street to try out my new camera lens on my favorite subject.

Which diffuser is that? Is that the CF one that BMW offers?

Thanks-
      11-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #1701
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
...so if you want any specific tint-related shots, let me know, but probably wont be able to take any of it in front of a local salon. =P
No worries. Once I get my tint done, my next pix will be in front of the salon again. I know you miss it

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #1702
bp-plickner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M235i

yaymitch

yep the diffuser is the OEM BMW part. I bought it from Circle BMW in NJ. At the time they had the best pricing
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #1703
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp-plickner
yaymitch

yep the diffuser is the OEM BMW part. I bought it from Circle BMW in NJ. At the time they had the best pricing
Circle is where I go for service! Great dealership and service department.

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #1704
bp-plickner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
Circle is where I go for service! Great dealership and service department.
The parts guys are also real good. They offer great discounts.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #1705
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Fresh Detailing + IS Plates + Fancy Valve Stem Caps Go On

Hey guys,

Spent way too many hours of backbreaking work yesterday, washing, claying, and waxing my car. So, after clay, 2 coats of collinite 845, claying front rims, then 1 coat of collinite 845 to the rims, putting on my special IS-specific plates, and the fancy valve stem caps finally, too, here she is this morning right before it started drizzling! Sorry there are so many pics, but remember that the next time people say, less talk, more pics! =) She's very shiny and great way to celebrate her 6 month birthday. Enjoy!

Last edited by gregthegr8; 11-04-2013 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #1706
mb135is
Captain
Rep

YES! That looks awesome. So nice of those clouds to show up to demonstrate the reflectivity of 845.

Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586

Last edited by mb135is; 11-04-2013 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #1707
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
YES! That looks awesome. No nice of those clouds to show up to demonstrate the reflectivity of 845.
Not so nice when it then started drizzling on the way to work. =( May have to wipe her down with some spray wax when I get home and need to go get a fine detail brush cause there is some collinite in some crevices, most notably in the rear parking sensors that I need to get out.

Didn't even know those clouds could be seen in the hood til I saw the pics. The pictures don't quite do it justice compared to real life, where it looks darker and like a mirror. My camera stinks though and tends to underexpose pics in that light. Oh well. And needless to say, unlike most, I will not be blacking out or censoring my plates when I post pics.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #1708
bp-plickner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Greg
Awesome, once again I have to wear my sunglasses when I look at the pics here.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #1709
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
ahhhhh the benefits of less talk more pics!!! great pics, Greg! The car looks.....immaculate?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #1710
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp-plickner View Post
Greg
Awesome, once again I have to wear my sunglasses when I look at the pics here.
I'd like to credit the car and color more. We have great subjects to shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
ahhhhh the benefits of less talk more pics!!! great pics, Greg! The car looks.....immaculate?
It was...for 12 hours. =P Plus, I can barely walk today I'm so sore. Just added one additional picture at the end to compensate for talking here.

No more claying or waxing til march or april. This is my equivalent of winterizing.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #1711
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

Awesome pics, I am always in favor of more pics vs less. Is Pacific BMW of Glendale paying you to advertise their dealership? I love your personalized plate but it would look much better all by itself. Just my opinion. Hate when dealerships put their ads on our cars after they have already made money from our purchase.
      11-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #1712
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaymitch View Post
Awesome pics, I am always in favor of more pics vs less. Is Pacific BMW of Glendale paying you to advertise their dealership? I love your personalized plate but it would look much better all by itself. Just my opinion. Hate when dealerships put their ads on our cars after they have already made money from our purchase.
Ha! Last night when I was putting it on I actually thought of going with no frame, especially since I knew the dealer frame cuts off a chunk of the bottom of the plate. How will people know I'm protecting our coast and ocean?! But, my whole life I've always had a frame and think it looks better with one, but have been debating between various slimline frames, so don't worry, the dealer one is only temporary. Might put the "Ultimate Driving Machine" slimline frame on since it seems less douchey than one that says BMW on it, though even that still may be somewhat douchey. I also might get the IND custom painted slimline frame painted mineral grey to match the car which might be the best of all worlds, but is really expensive. I'm open to opinions as I know Worra is also debating and shopping for a new frame, though I don't want a carbon fiber one like he's looking for.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #1713
mb135is
Captain
Rep

No need to wipe down after a drizzle - just drive the car and the beads fly off! If the drizzle left small spots, they're on top of the wax and nothing to worry about. Seriously, if you've driven the car, don't wipe it with anything, as there is now dust all over the car and it will grind into the clear coat and swirl the paint. I never understand how people use those car duster things or wipe down their cars after driving them to events. I witness these things and feel for those poor clear coats!

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #1714
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
No need to wipe down after a drizzle - just drive the car and the beads fly off! If the drizzle left small spots, they're on top of the wax and nothing to worry about. Seriously, if you've driven the car, don't wipe it with anything, as there is now dust all over the car and it will grind into the clear coat and swirl the paint. I never understand how people use those car duster things or wipe down their cars after driving them to events. I witness these things and feel for those poor clear coats!
Well, it drizzled as I drove to work and then sat outside all day then in the sun. So, spraying it down with ultimate detailer spray or the equivalent will get the dust and mini potential water spots off. Shouldn't scratch anything as it's hardly dirty, but don't want water spots sitting on there for awhile in the sun until the next time I wash it.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #1715
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp-plickner View Post
yaymitch

Every time I go on their website you can't order online or check out. Did you order over the phone?
      11-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #1716
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

That's my favorite pic. Car looks fantastic. Great view of the tint, too. Thanks for sharing.

I stopped in to check out the FormulaOne Pinnacle series tint today. There's only 2 shops in CO that carry it, and one of them is 3-4 hours away from me.

I decided to go with the FormulaOne Pinnacle 30% all around. Since I also want to do the windshield and sunroof, they're giving me about a 20% discount to do it all. I'm going to get the Air 80 on the windshield and the Pinnacle 15% on the sunroof. Haven't scheduled the appt. yet, but I'll post pix once it's done.

Appreciate 0