BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-19-2017, 12:25 PM   #1
rod.bearings
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
1M bumper with fog lights

Whose done the fog lights on the 1m bumper? Curious how it's wired and does it utilize the stock foglight switch like for the euro rear/128i fog light switch? Wanted to know if all 1 series are pre wired for the fogs.
      02-20-2017, 03:06 PM   #2
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 14 X5 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazi3azn View Post
Whose done the fog lights on the 1m bumper? Curious how it's wired and does it utilize the stock foglight switch like for the euro rear/128i fog light switch? Wanted to know if all 1 series are pre wired for the fogs.
I did this to my 128, So I just unplugged the bulbs from the old bumper and put in the new one. I don't think the 135s have the fogs stock.

I put some dark film On the new round lenses to be more subtle. I'll get some photos up if interested.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 07:49 PM   #3
Jorgensen54
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW/AG 135i 6MT

Taken from another thread:

"Now that winter has arrived in Ohio, I quickly discovered my fan motor was chirping / squeaking from time to time and barely still under warranty. While at the dealer, I asked one of the techs about the fog light wiring harness (if the 128i and 135i shared the same) and he did not know so he removed the inner fender well and confirmed that the fog light wiring was not there. Oh well, it would have been nice to already have the wiring in place but it now looks like I may have to run my own wiring and relay back to the main switch. I'll post some pics when finished (weather permitting first)."
      02-22-2017, 12:58 AM   #4
rod.bearings
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Oh okay thanks guys, planning to do a quad setup on my headlights. So I was planning on wiring my second projectors into the fog lights. Guess I'll have to rewire it.
      03-12-2017, 03:17 PM   #5
White_i35
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55

I did the fog lights for my 135 m replica bumper and wired a switch into the stock fog light switch. It wasn't difficult at all if you know how to wire up a switch correctly. I am looking into wiring it into a factory OEM fog light switch from a 128 but I can't find electric diagrams for the fog light switch. I'll update you if I find a diagram and wire the pins correctly to use the factory switch.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 10:18 PM   #6
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_i35 View Post
I did the fog lights for my 135 m replica bumper and wired a switch into the stock fog light switch. It wasn't difficult at all if you know how to wire up a switch correctly. I am looking into wiring it into a factory OEM fog light switch from a 128 but I can't find electric diagrams for the fog light switch. I'll update you if I find a diagram and wire the pins correctly to use the factory switch.
Can you offer some more info on this? Such as what power source you used, where you ran the wires, etc.? I'd really love to do this myself
      03-21-2017, 09:24 PM   #7
White_i35
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Can you offer some more info on this? Such as what power source you used, where you ran the wires, etc.? I'd really love to do this myself
Sorry I'm just getting back to you I've been busy with my JB4 tune, new FMIC custom fab, and custom 3" downpipes back exhaust whew!!

I ran the power and ground together with an inline fuse where you run the JB4 under the air duct/cowl for HVAC in the engine bay. i tapped the ground to the Strut bolt, the power i tapped to the power tap (not sure the exact name but if you need to jump the car directly next to the strut bolts and DME).

I tapped my constant from the back of the headlight switch. i cannot remember which but there is an article out there that shows the electrical diagram for the headlight switch, i did this so long ago id have to take it off to see.

you can run the wires through the DME box if you want to go that route, its actually very very simple. if not there is a clutch grommet on the driver side you can run the wires through. I ran them through the clutch grommet which was before i knew how east the DME route would have been.

I than took out the stock headlight switch and carefully mounted a black switch. I could have spent more money and purchased the 128 or euro switch that has the active circuit board for the fog switch because mine did not (i tried and cut the plastic tabs, attempted to find constant & switch power but it wasn't found at the time).

I hope that helps, let me know if you have other questions and ill try and grab some pics, its just more of a pain to take it all apart to get pics of behind the switches and panels.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 11:06 PM   #8
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_i35 View Post
Sorry I'm just getting back to you I've been busy with my JB4 tune, new FMIC custom fab, and custom 3" downpipes back exhaust whew!!

I ran the power and ground together with an inline fuse where you run the JB4 under the air duct/cowl for HVAC in the engine bay. i tapped the ground to the Strut bolt, the power i tapped to the power tap (not sure the exact name but if you need to jump the car directly next to the strut bolts and DME).

I tapped my constant from the back of the headlight switch. i cannot remember which but there is an article out there that shows the electrical diagram for the headlight switch, i did this so long ago id have to take it off to see.

you can run the wires through the DME box if you want to go that route, its actually very very simple. if not there is a clutch grommet on the driver side you can run the wires through. I ran them through the clutch grommet which was before i knew how east the DME route would have been.

I than took out the stock headlight switch and carefully mounted a black switch. I could have spent more money and purchased the 128 or euro switch that has the active circuit board for the fog switch because mine did not (i tried and cut the plastic tabs, attempted to find constant & switch power but it wasn't found at the time).

I hope that helps, let me know if you have other questions and ill try and grab some pics, its just more of a pain to take it all apart to get pics of behind the switches and panels.
No worries on the late reply man that was super detailed, thank you so much! I'll see if I can do this without splicing so much. I'm worried about potentially messing with my warranty on that.
      04-09-2017, 09:52 PM   #9
spain4065
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: EM1 and 08 135i

Sub'd.
I have fogs, running standalone switch. I have 128i foglight switch that I would like to wire it to as well to keep it clean. Let me know what you find.
Appreciate 0