BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
theshiningnova
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Shop for replacing the windshield

I noticed I had a dollar note long crack on my windshield the other day most likely due to a passing truck dropping some road debris on me.(I heard a loud quark sound but did not immediately notice any damage until the next day as it was dark.)

Anyway, insurance will cover the cost of replacement for an OEM windshield. Now the question is the shop. Does anyone have any recommendation for shops known for quality workmanship before I go with whatever my insurance company recommends?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

I too could use a windshield replacement. I have a star the size of a dime and a solid eraser sized chip nearby. It seems like the windshield was replaced before, as i can see the caulking on the inside edge.
      11-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
TheRedBaroness
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I had the windshield on my <retired> 328xi replaced about three years ago and went with J&N Auto Glass. I think they are independently owned, so my experience may not be typical. The installer was wonderful, arrived on time, fast, etc. but the windshield was horrible. It was distorted on the edges, so I lost some peripheral viewing. The car was soon to retire, so I took no corrective action. I would not recommend against J&N, I would recommend that you check the windshield that is installed very thoroughly before signing for the work, I didn't notice the flaw until driving into direct sunlight. Once I saw it, I could not avoid it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 01:59 AM   #4
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

This: http://www.yelp.com/biz/village-glassmith-needham
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
pheller
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Baroness View Post
I had the windshield on my <retired> 328xi replaced about three years ago and went with J&N Auto Glass. I think they are independently owned, so my experience may not be typical.
Just to add another statistic, I took my 2008 135i to J&N Auto Glass in Arlington, and I wouldn't even consider them or another J&N again. The first time, they mounted the glass off center, so there was a clunk going over thresholds. I took it back, and while they did replace it again at their cost, they used way too much adhesive - so much that it was visible inside the passenger cabin squeezing out from the A pillars.

Anyways, best of luck finding a quality glass shop.
      11-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
theshiningnova
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Wow thx for all the input so far. Good to know about that J&N shop as I think that's the shop that my insurance company recommends. Now I know to steer clear of it heh.
Appreciate 0