BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #45
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
The BEST part about driving a BMW is when you don't have anyone around at all - and its early Sunday morning when most people are still in bed and you have your favorite twisty road all to yourself where you can actually have some fun getting the car up to speed. That's when I enjoy my 135i 'Vert the most, especially if the day is nice enough to have the top down. I could care less what some guy in the Camry thinks of it, or me, at the stoplight. Or my customers at my business when its in the parking lot. You buy a BMW for the 'art' of driving, as you do any performance-oriented car, not as an object to gather admiration - though if that's what you want to do, there's nothing wrong with that, either. I've owned a lot of cars - my 135i is my 7th BMW - and I come back to the brand because you can get a very nice balance of cost/quality/performance - that's the enjoyment I get out of it as my daily driver.
Preach
      05-18-2013, 01:40 AM   #46
drFUNK
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
The BEST part about driving a BMW is when you don't have anyone around at all - and its early Sunday morning when most people are still in bed and you have your favorite twisty road all to yourself where you can actually have some fun getting the car up to speed. That's when I enjoy my 135i 'Vert the most, especially if the day is nice enough to have the top down. I could care less what some guy in the Camry thinks of it, or me, at the stoplight. Or my customers at my business when its in the parking lot. You buy a BMW for the 'art' of driving, as you do any performance-oriented car, not as an object to gather admiration - though if that's what you want to do, there's nothing wrong with that, either. I've owned a lot of cars - my 135i is my 7th BMW - and I come back to the brand because you can get a very nice balance of cost/quality/performance - that's the enjoyment I get out of it as my daily driver.
You've hit the nail dead on the head. I just came back from a night drive and empty roads are just the best.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #47
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
It swings both ways. I've had people at work who find out what car I drive remark that I must be making too much money while other people have accused me of being a poser for driving one of the "least expensive" BMW's in the lineup. You can't win at that game. And by the way in Canada you can spend $30k to get a used 128i and even more on a new Camry and that is considered a lot of money either way. Most people cannot afford to do that. So even though the 1er may not be as expensive as say a GMC Acadia or a G37 its still more than most people, especially my age, can afford. Knowing that I count myself lucky but not better than anyone else. But I would never try to assuage any kind of guilt by rationalizing that this isn't a $70,000 car. Some people drive 15 year old Corolla or Civic type cars because they can't do better and some people have to take the bus. Would it set their minds at ease that I probably spent less money on the car than they think I did? Better to just enjoy the car and not worry about how much it cost in relation to whatever anyone else is driving and even better to not get drawn into any related discussion. Wait did I just break that rule?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #48
drcollie
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 'Vert '12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
I've had people at work who find out what car I drive remark that I must be making too much money while other people have accused me of being a poser for driving one of the "least expensive" BMW's in the lineup. You can't win at that game. ......Better to just enjoy the car and not worry about how much it cost in relation to whatever anyone else is driving and even better to not get drawn into any related discussion.
When you get older and more mature, you find you just really don't care what other people think of you - or your cars. You do it to please yourself and everyone else can go pound sand if they have an issue with it.

I own a 135i Convertible and have great fun with it. I sometimes get "Oh, you didn't get your bonus to buy one of the proper BMW's? Too bad."

Then the next time they see me I'm in my Aston Martin Vantage. I'll just walk by them and wink and say "Got the bonus...." And that leaves them scratching their heads...lol
Appreciate 0