BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #23
cmcdonald
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i

I have an auto 128 so I thought I would chime in. Is the manual better, the answer is Yes. I don't think anyone would disagree. But us the 128 ruined by the auto I say the answer is No. It depends on your driving. I spend an hour and a half going ten miles an hour on the Kennedy on the way home every day. I test drove a manual and loved it but decided I would shoot myself if u drove it in that traffic every day. If you have a commute like mine I'm sure you will be very happy with the auto. If you live in the country side or the burbs get the manual.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 08:44 PM   #24
Matt 335is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SMB 50e | e92 n54

There's a 2012 128i w/ 22,700 miles for $22,500

The only option and I mean only option on the car is M-Sport package but seems like a descent deal.

Alpine white, black leatherette, glacier aluminum

A 2012 135i w/ 22,700 miles would prob be close to $30k.

Last edited by Matt 335is; 07-17-2014 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #25
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
It wasn't supposed to be a "You're wrong" post, I just wanted you to know the details. It was a race from a roll - quite sad actually.
Was he "granny shifting and not double clutching like he should?"
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #26
Matt 335is
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcdonald View Post
I have an auto 128 so I thought I would chime in. Is the manual better, the answer is Yes. I don't think anyone would disagree. But us the 128 ruined by the auto I say the answer is No. It depends on your driving. I spend an hour and a half going ten miles an hour on the Kennedy on the way home every day. I test drove a manual and loved it but decided I would shoot myself if u drove it in that traffic every day. If you have a commute like mine I'm sure you will be very happy with the auto. If you live in the country side or the burbs get the manual.
Ha I have about the same everyday experience but not quite as bad... and yes this is part of my thought process for going auto.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #27
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
I disagree with the 'manual in traffic sucks' argument. To me it's better. All you need to do to avoid the frequent shifting is to let a big gap form in front of you and go really slow. That way, you can stay in 2nd at 10-15mph and watch the morons in front of you ride each other's bumpers for miles, stopping and going every 2 seconds, while you do nothing. It's the same thing truck drivers do because they don't feel like shifting. The argument is just blown out of proportion. Why would you let something as lame as traffic determine your transmission choice, especially in a car like this?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #28
Matt 335is
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the response but I don't really care about the manual vs auto debate... I've already decided I'm getting an auto.

Just trying to get opinions of the Auto in the 128i. I've test driven the DCT 135i and trying to decide if it's worth the extra $$$.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 08:25 AM   #29
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneAddicts View Post
Thanks for the response but I don't really care about the manual vs auto debate... I've already decided I'm getting an auto.

Just trying to get opinions of the Auto in the 128i. I've test driven the DCT 135i and trying to decide if it's worth the extra $$$.
They don't really compare at all.
      07-18-2014, 08:47 AM   #30
Matt 335is
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
They don't really compare at all.
Yea, guess I'm realizing they are not really comparable, completely different technology.

I'll just have to decide for myself if it's worth it or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 09:13 AM   #31
cmcdonald
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisar82 View Post
I disagree with the 'manual in traffic sucks' argument. To me it's better. All you need to do to avoid the frequent shifting is to let a big gap form in front of you and go really slow. That way, you can stay in 2nd at 10-15mph and watch the morons in front of you ride each other's bumpers for miles, stopping and going every 2 seconds, while you do nothing. It's the same thing truck drivers do because they don't feel like shifting. The argument is just blown out of proportion. Why would you let something as lame as traffic determine your transmission choice, especially in a car like this?
You've obviously never driven in Chicago traffic. If you do that you end up having people constantly cut in front of you and you never go anywhere. I saw a, guy in a 911 doing that the other day. Even with traffic going as slow as it was he was out of site in my rear view mirror very quickly. Leaving a gap large enough for a car to get in front of you around here means a car will get in front of you. It sucks that people drive that way but it forces you to do it too if you want to get anywhere at all. I've actually driven a International with a, seven speed through Chicago when I was in college and I never did the slow roll thing even in that it just doesn't work here. I don't think I would want the DTC or SMG either as they are too jerking at slow speed for this traffic.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #32
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6SPD E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg128i View Post
Automatic DS mode 0-60.

Manual 0-60.

Ok ok, the manual driver shifts like shit. But... This is the only visual evidence I have. Who's up for updating the evidence?
You posted a video of a guy granny shifting lollll.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 09:23 AM   #33
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep

Not really a zero to 60 but this was my completely stock 128i at 13k miles on shitty run flats. It was dry out the run flats just suck.
Edit: 6spd trans
http://web.stagram.com/p/558633277100693677_12014901
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 09:33 AM   #34
Matt 335is
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You've obviously never driven in Chicago traffic. If you do that you end up having people constantly cut in front of you and you never go anywhere. I saw a, guy in a 911 doing that the other day. Even with traffic going as slow as it was he was out of site in my rear view mirror very quickly. Leaving a gap large enough for a car to get in front of you around here means a car will get in front of you. It sucks that people drive that way but it forces you to do it too if you want to get anywhere at all. I've actually driven a International with a, seven speed through Chicago when I was in college and I never did the slow roll thing even in that it just doesn't work here. I don't think I would want the DTC or SMG either as they are too jerking at slow speed for this traffic.
SMG is the auto in the e46 M3 right... what is DTC or did you mean DCT?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #35
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
SMG is the auto in the e46 M3 right... what is DTC or did you mean DCT?
Yes.
      07-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #36
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
100000% agree. I live in NYC and drive my 1M every single day through 110+ miles of madness in and out of the city. I drove a dual clutch A3 for 2 years through this and it was HORRIBLE....riding the brakes like a tosser for hours a day. I have much more control with a manual.....allow a bit of distance and relax. When traffic opens up you are back in the 'fun zone' rather than suffering with a crappy autobox.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #37
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
i lived in Chicago for 3 years and traffic in Chicago is NOTHING compared to traffic in NYC. Not even a patch in terms of aggressiveness, chaos, and madness. When i go back to Chicago these days, it's like being in the countryside! haha
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #38
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
i lived in Chicago for 3 years and traffic in Chicago is NOTHING compared to traffic in NYC. Not even a patch in terms of aggressiveness, chaos, and madness. When i go back to Chicago these days, it's like being in the countryside! haha
Agreed lol I used to live near manhattan, new york. I Drove in Paris this passed year and omg they drive Insane compared to NYC! Also drove in Bahrain too and they are wreck less there too. They make their own lanes YOLO! Haha.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #39
Fume
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Yea, guess I'm realizing they are not really comparable, completely different technology.

I'll just have to decide for myself if it's worth it or not.
Yeah. As you can tell from this thread, people have very different opinions about AT version of the 128i. You need to test drive it yourself. Personally, I don't think I would have gotten the 128i if the only option was auto. The DCT I test drove in the 135i was actually pretty decent and I could maybe see myself living with that option if manual transmission wasn't an option.

New Car: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS | Stock for now
Old Car: 2013 BMW 128i | 6MT | BMW Performance Grills | CDV Delete | SSK | Performance Exhaust | M3 RSFB | TCKR DA

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 12:04 PM   #40
Fume
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS

Quote:
I agree completely. Granted, I live in Seattle where traffic is nowhere near as bad as Chicago or NYC but driving in stop and go traffic for a lot of my commute, I still prefer driving manual transmission. I don't think of pressing the clutch pedal and shifting as a chore.

New Car: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS | Stock for now
Old Car: 2013 BMW 128i | 6MT | BMW Performance Grills | CDV Delete | SSK | Performance Exhaust | M3 RSFB | TCKR DA

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #41
Matt 335is
Lieutenant
Rep

Different strokes for different folks... still getting an auto.

Traffic is just one component.

Again this thread had nothing to do with manual vs auto hasn't that been discussed to death already and does anyone really care what someone else prefers.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 12:33 PM   #42
Matt 335is
Lieutenant
Rep

I did notice some 'jerkyness' in my test drive of the 135 DCT. Not sure if it was turbo lag or an issue with the DCT i have been reading up on. When I pressed the gas there would be a split second delay then a jolt forward. The power was incredible but not the smoothest delivery.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 12:35 PM   #43
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fume View Post
Yeah. As you can tell from this thread, people have very different opinions about AT version of the 128i. You need to test drive it yourself. Personally, I don't think I would have gotten the 128i if the only option was auto. The DCT I test drove in the 135i was actually pretty decent and I could maybe see myself living with that option if manual transmission wasn't an option.
+1 well said.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #44
InControl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 328i coupe

I'll chime in since the auto boxes should be identical in the 1 and 3 series. I am very pleased with the auto box in the 3 series, drive in manual sport all the time and it works great, up shifting faster than most manual drivers (been driving manuals all my life). Downshifts even faster. I shift at around redline at times and it feels awesome. In summary, it DOES NOT feel like most other auto boxes, as some have commented, probably haven't driven it the way it ought to be. When driven in manual sport (select S and have fun with the gears) you will have no regrets over a manual. GL!
Appreciate 0