BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #23
jhaile
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2008

Wow - I can honestly say that my phone call to BMW customer relations this morning was my worst customer service experience ever. The rep on the phone could not view my service history, could not view any information about the warranty denial, could not explain the warranty denial, refused to put me in touch with anyone else, and told me that there was no route whatsoever to file or escalate an appeal (by phone or in writing). She would not even let me talk to anyone else who could explain why the warranty claim was being denied.

Given BMW's reputation, I'm really surprised at how badly they treat their customers in this situation.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #24
jhaile
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
My question is, how do they know that the turbo's are the problem?
Because there is a failed wastegate code. They also took the turbos out of the car, but only explanation I've gotten was "the code".

Quote:
What happened then between his test drive and the next day when you picked it up?
Nothing - I was waiting on car so he test drove 10 mins before me. Basically he didn't nail the acceleration, which is what produces the problem.

Quote:
What about the turbo's is bad, according to the tech?
The wastegates.

Quote:
If he's taken them out he should be able to tell you if the bearings are shot or worn. Simply spin the turbine by hand. Do they spin?
Are the turbines loose? Are the turbines seized?
Good questions - I will ask when I talk to the dealer/tech again but I think it's just the wastegates.

Quote:
Maybe your engine has been misdiagnosed.
It might be time to take your car to an independent BMW tech, and let them have a look.
Maybe so - but I want to get this covered under warranty regardless. Either Dinan caused it and they should cover it, or its a factory defect in which case BMW should cover it. Either way I shouldn't be footing the bill or stuck in the middle.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #25
jhaile
Rep

I still don't have a resolution to this thread yet, but I wanted to give an update.

I reached out to Dinan today, and Dan in the warranty department assured me that if BMW denies the warranty claim on the turbo, they will cover it. In fact, they will put in better turbos than the stock ones.

They are contacting BMW North America directly and will sort everything out.

Great customer experience with Dinan!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 05:39 PM   #26
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Good to hear that Dinan is stepping up, but I'm REALLY surprised about your experience with BMW NA. I would have immediately asked to speak to another customer service rep. immediately, or at least tried to contact someone else. They can't just flatout deny you without at least attempting to prove that they are within reason to deny the claim.

2008 E82 N54 || Stage 2 -------- Gone to a good home.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #27
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
they can do whatever the hell they want until they get sued....Dinan will probably get them on the horn and with their "relationship" hopefully it'll get sorted out
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #28
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaile View Post
I still don't have a resolution to this thread yet, but I wanted to give an update.

I reached out to Dinan today, and Dan in the warranty department assured me that if BMW denies the warranty claim on the turbo, they will cover it. In fact, they will put in better turbos than the stock ones.

Nice upgraded turbo's this might work out in your favor
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #29
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
That's awesome. Being new to the BMW world I am learning a lot by seeing how the different companies react to issues like this, it's nice to see them step up like that. FWIW - congrats on getting some kind of a resolution!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #30
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:

Excellent news!
Way to go Dinan.

As far as the waste gates, if they are at fault, BMW SHOULD cover this because they has waste gate problems in early models, regardless of tune or no tune. It was a manufacturers fault with the part, a KNOWN fault with the part. Dinan is the scapegoat here.
I'll have to look it up, but most waste gate systems are a replaceable part to the turbo system. If it's a single unit then they go together, but it's separate then no need for new turbo's.

Seems you'll get taken care of, thanks to Dinan's excellent customer service.
Kudo's to them. Their tune may cost a bit more, but it's very hard to argue with them willing to stand behind their product.
That makes up the cost difference no question.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #31
jhaile
Rep

Smile

Final update - It took BMW/Dinan about 3 weeks to sort things out, but Dinan shipped the new turbos and equipment to BMW and reimbursed BMW for the labor expenses to install. The car drives great and haven't had any further problems.

As far as I understand, BMW still has not provided any evidence (to me or Dinan) as to why they are making the claim that the Dinan tune caused the turbo failures. I believe Dinan is still arguing with BMW about this, but they went ahead and paid my claim so I wasn't left stranded.

The only party that was difficult to deal with was BMW North America. They wouldn't give me straight answers, wouldn't let me talk to the people who could answer my questions, and generally just tried to shut down all discussion about the warranty issue.

I will also mention that the local dealer was as helpful as they could be in this situation. I could tell that they were on my side, but couldn't do much after receiving the decision from corporate.

On the other hand, Dinan was fairly responsive, answered all of my questions directly, and was very helpful from the get go. Once I had explained my situation, Dinan just said "we'll take it from here" - and they did. In fact, I left town for two weeks to get married and go on my honeymoon. And by the time I got back my car was repaired. Thanks Dinan!
Appreciate 0