BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

aFe Pro Dry S filter

I just ordered the aFe Pro Dry S drop in filter for my 1M. My car is mostly stock (totally stock enginewise) and I am hesitant about the usefulness of aftermarket intakes, especially so if you are with stock map. I read a lot about filters, intakes etc. and all I learned for sure is I still know nothing for sure!

So, staying with the stock intake but experimenting for a while with this (arguably good quality, better flow but still filters good and easy to clean) type of filter seemed to be the safer way to go. I won't hesitate to go back to stock filter if I suspect anything negative about it though.

Anyone (stock or tuned 1M or even other N54 engined car, all are much welcome to comment) has any experience with this filter? Mods including the aFe intake may be misleading so I appreciate mostly users whose cars are still with stock air box. Thanks.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Drop in filter won't add anything. Better off running OEM paper filter.
If you mean hp/torque, I think the same way, there should be little to no gain in power. But I am curious to see if there will be any gain in throttle response. I also plan to put the car in dyno testing after the filter change which will be done at the same time with the charge pipe fix (ER). As long as there will be no loss in power but noticeable gain in response after these changes, I will consider it worthy (I know I will never know if it is just the charge pipe though, but I am busy and/or lazy to make them seperately).
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Have ppl have claimed they hear the induction noise better (i.e. its louder), but they must have a third ear, I personally don't notice anything with a drop-in filter as far as acoustics.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Just replaced the stock air filter with aFe ProDryS drop-in filter, will report back when I find some time to drive the car. I plan to check it frequently in order to make sure that it makes proper filtering.

By the way, anyone who never did this himself before, it is the easiest job ever, totally straightforward, all you may possibly need is a small screwdriver to pop out the silver clips holding the air box in just seconds and maybe wet wipes or a good vacuum cleaner to properly clean the box before you drop the new filter. I really advise everyone, especially people who live in bad air quality areas to check their air box and filter minimum once a year regardless of mileage since there was a surprising amount of tiny stones, pollen, debris accumulated in there and also a few got stuck inside the filter, the kind of stuff you don't want get sucked in your engine. If you live near sand deserts, like certain parts of Middle East, I would totally avoid replacing the stock paper filter and instead change or clean the stock unit as frequently as possible.

Next, I will drive and see if there is any change in sound or response or just a big fat NADA

Last edited by ozinaldo; 11-25-2012 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
Derek8819
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

It is amazing how different some of these forums can be. 1addicts is completely against filters like this, but others I am on show gains of 6-8hp almost every time. I am gonna say this, drop ins flow more air, plain and simple. Do they flow more dust too, well I think it depends on the brand/quality. I actually wondered if they were filtering ok on my Lightning and I went ahead and sent off oil samples to blackstone, the results showed more than adequate filtration. I will use a quality drop-in in every car I buy, they flow better and last longer. If you are worried, send off your oil sample.

www.blackstone-labs.com
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek8819 View Post
It is amazing how different some of these forums can be. 1addicts is completely against filters like this, but others I am on show gains of 6-8hp almost every time. I am gonna say this, drop ins flow more air, plain and simple. Do they flow more dust too, well I think it depends on the brand/quality. I actually wondered if they were filtering ok on my Lightning and I went ahead and sent off oil samples to blackstone, the results showed more than adequate filtration. I will use a quality drop-in in every car I buy, they flow better and last longer. If you are worried, send off your oil sample.

www.blackstone-labs.com
Thanks for your post. I tend to think similarly, but with some caution due to lack of personal experience on this. I need to find some of the research I have been reading in different forums and other media, there was especially an interesting independent research's results that put the aFe dry filter among the best, if not the best in terms of filtration with avarage 99.2 % filtering level if I remember the data correctly. I need to find that again, there was plenty of detailed info, charts etc. which showed that some filters like this aFe simply flow much better, as you said, but also manage to filter very close to the stock filter due to better design and materials. K&N was not among the good filtering options according to that research. The possible reason why factories do not go with best available product is because their absolute priority is safety and longevity, thinking their maintenance plans, warranties and production/repair costs. Since I am not someone who leaves everything to factory choices and recommendations (if I did, I should forget about an air filter for what 50,000 Km., and oil change every 10K km. while I could just drive without checking my tires untill TPS tells me that I am almost on my wheels!) etc. so, I am trying to decide myself if this is a minor and takeable risk with some worthy gains, or not.

Just by looking the design of the stock vs. aFe, first one seem to have one single thing in mind; to keep everything out! The aFe on the other hand looks like at least trying to filter what is necessary while letting as much air as possible go through. I think it deserves a try.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek8819 View Post

www.blackstone-labs.com
Just some mileage with this filter, not too much and not on my fast roads but still have some initial impressions: nothing too dramatic, sound is almost identical to stock for now maybe a bit more engine sound, I can't tell if there is any more power but I would be very very surprised if there is a loss of power, the real reason for me to change the filter was to experiment if there would be a tad better throttle response and I think I got it, it feels better, not a huge difference but similar to the gain I had with the N55 mids for instance.

The most obvious difference in feel is at low to mid revs in mostly city driving there is a smoothness which is very much welcome in my case. Like it is said it flows better, no doubt about it.

With more high speed driving and more mileage I may soon have a better idea if it's really worth it. In the mean time I will soon start checking inside the box and filter to have an initial idea of filtration level.

Does it worth the money? Depends on your bank account I guess
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94 M3, AW 1M, M2 CS

Any new thoughts on this air filter after a little more time with it?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #9
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piets94 View Post
Works good for me; filters good and still gives the sensation of a freer revving engine (at the top of revs). I doubt there are any more horses but they seem to be happier horses Looks like will last forever too.

Not an alternative for an intake if one needs that and doesn't give noticeably more/different sound.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 01:26 AM   #10
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piets94 View Post
have basically stock engine set up with afe dual cone intake and some air scoops and exhaust

power/torque gains... maybe/doubt it. haha I can't tell at all to be honest i was hoping i would feel some change after install, but no.
there is acutally quite some change in induction noise. Has a nice little extra turbo whistle that's about all haha.

L1MTD

Appreciate 0