BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
mtnboy
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

When to unveil?

So my wife decides she wants her freedom and most of my money, and drops the bomb on me. I think more out of spite than need, she makes a play for my beloved 525 it wagon that took me two years to find and another year to learn how to fix all the little nagging problems. Anyway she takes my baby and the kids, so in fits of saddnes a new girl came into my life.

She was young (2008), black (I don't discriminate), a little cheap (you know what I mean), and low miledge (12,000), and so I had to have her. Oh how she filled that void in my life. Going from 185 to 300 HP with about a 1,000' weight reduction, has really added spring to the old step. Plus I look really good in the thing and the ladies love it, especially when I chirp the tires in second. Gets a giggle every time.

So here is the dilema. When to out the new girl? So far she has stayed hidden in the garage while the kids are exchanged and the paper is finalized. Now that all is said and done, I want to get that moment of maximum impact. Maybe a hidden camera should be involved so I can catch the moment for all time to come.

What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

ohh boy!! Stand by for the "ex" advice from the "peanut gallery"!
Btw... I love the way you wrote this up!

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnboy View Post
So my wife decides she wants her freedom and most of my money...
Enough right there. This is a no-brainer.
Have her shot. Just don't do it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
Tee-Dub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Funny, I hail from just across the river in the 'Couv and I also just purchased a 2008 black 135i, but am still happily married. Sold my 185whp 2011 Kawasaki ZX10r, so the wife doesn't really care what I buy as long as it has 4 wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
MysticblueX3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Dub View Post
Funny, I hail from just across the river in the 'Couv and I also just purchased a 2008 black 135i, but am still happily married. Sold my 185whp 2011 Kawasaki ZX10r, so the wife doesn't really care what I buy as long as it has 4 wheels.
Same. Wife let me buy whatever I wanted when I sold my Ducati
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
Tee-Dub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticblueX3 View Post
Same. Wife let me buy whatever I wanted when I sold my Ducati
She probably expects me to buy another one, but at this time I feel I've gotten it out of my system. I've owned 2 Ducatis, 4 Aprilias, Kawasakis, CBR1000's, Triumph, even a Husqvarna supermoto. I may have it out of my system, plus a lot of guys on the motorcycle forums got killed or seriously hurt this last season. Figured I'd hang it up for a while since I've made it out unscathed up to this point (been riding since I was 16).
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 05:44 AM   #7
Ejpatch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i cv

Please keep us posted on the reaction when you do unveil!!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 06:51 AM   #8
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Don't unveil until the papers are signed and everything is agreed upon. Don't give her something else to go after. You should incorporate the kids into it. put a camera in the backpack or something and roll in to pick them up so you get 2 points of view, hahaha. keep updated please!!!!! sounds hilarious.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #9
AJundEinser
Beast Mode
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Dinan S2

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
1. Wash your car, make it show pretty... (doesn't take much; she's sexy)
2. Position its good looking self in the garage.
3. Tell children they get to show Mom the new car when she picks them up! OOOO They are so excited!
4. Children are ready, preferably with cameras (video highly suggested) in hand.
5. Surprise!!!!
6. Mom $***s herself with anger, and then jealousy, then envy, then lusts after it for a minute...
7. Beer glasses clang. Success.
      11-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #10
cpsquare8
Private
Rep
Drives: 135is

Well, my old neighbor did this to his ex wife many years back. He of course moved out of the house. In order to achieve the maximum impact (he purchased a Red Nissan 300zx (2+2)- same rationale as most divorced guys) pulled up to pick up the kids for the weekend - and - now this is the punch line - had his new drop dead blond girlfriend in the car. I only came upon the scene due to the loud and simply over the top screams from the ex.......along with some thrown objects.

The upgrade was outstanding - like a 4 to a 9.5. The smile on his face was evident, the reaction of the ex - priceless. A mastercard moment.....if only the video battery was not dead.....

So the car is merely the object - an upgraded companion - that should get it done.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
AlanO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

If memory serves, in Missouri property is declared at filing. What you have then is what you split. As long as you didn't use community funds to buy the new toy, you should be good. Check with your attorney for the particulars in your state.

Then, beg, borrow, hire, steal or otherwise engage the most outrageously hot woman you can find. Have her be waiting where you do the kid exchange. Once they kids are in the car and you and the ex are exchanging parting daggers, have the hottie come along, kiss you on the cheek, put her arm around you and smile innocently at your ex. Maybe introduce her as Bambi. Then get into your toy (make sure to open the door for Bambi) open the sunroof, roll down the windows and drive away. Ask Bambi to have a sly smile on her face the entire time.

How's that?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #12
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

i would slightly poke the nose out of the garage, only leaving headlights and front bumper show. keep door half way down, make sure its dark as dark can be so theres minimal body lines showing. tease her. let her think. refuse to show or tell what you bought. just enough that she knows she didn't hurt you, that taking the 5 series was a blessing in disguise. and then when she continuously mentions it or brings it up... pull it out with Bambi in the seat and slide sideways out of the driveway and take off!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #13
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

I myself probably wouldn't do that. Was in a similar situation once, and didn't go there. I focused on my own situation, and own well-being.

I would just go enjoy the car, and have a blast. You'll get enough enjoyment out of her troubles with maintaining and repairing the 525, if she decides to keep it.

If you do decide to go there (and it's your call), that's OK. I would think twice before putting together a scenario that involves your children, though. I took the "high road" from Day One with my children, and now, 11 years later, I am happy that I did.

PS-I loved the way you wrote it up, also. You did a good job of making it humorous.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #14
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMoe53 View Post
I myself probably wouldn't do that. Was in a similar situation once, and didn't go there. I focused on my own situation, and own well-being.

I would just go enjoy the car, and have a blast. You'll get enough enjoyment out of her troubles with maintaining and repairing the 525, if she decides to keep it.

If you do decide to go there (and it's your call), that's OK. I would think twice before putting together a scenario that involves your children, though. I took the "high road" from Day One with my children, and now, 11 years later, I am happy that I did.

PS-I loved the way you wrote it up, also. You did a good job of making it humorous.
in all reality this guy got things right. make wise choices--forums aren't reality; guys responding are creating "funny" scenarios because it's not their life.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #15
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMoe53 View Post

11-19-2012, 01:03 AM   #16
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the kind comments. When I moved 11 years ago to the apartment where I am typing this, I had lots of days where I was upset, and thought about making a "statement." I thought the better of it, and I am happy for it.

Fast forward to 2012. I've been retired for three years, I have a blast driving my 1er, and the kids are coming here on Thanksgiving to watch parades and football, and eat smoked turkey and stuffing with andouille sausage. "Mom" has to work.....

In other words, things always seem to work out in the end, if we just let them.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 03:51 AM   #17
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
ha ha...LOL
- It's not what you show up in but, who is with you also. You should have seen the look on my ex's face when i showed up in a brand new E90 330i. Riding shotgun was my new girl friend (now my wife) who is skinnier and 10x better looking, with 2 Masters degree's, her own house & her own job....well you get the picture.

It's a moment in time I will never forget. My ex looked like a stunned mullet priceless!
      11-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #18
mtnboy
Rep

Part Deux,

So an extra wrench in the works.

But before we go there, all the paper is said and done. The ex did pull up the other day in a loaner 3 series due to the 525 being in the shop. Boy did the local shop have a field day, all four doors leaked at once, and replacement of the breaks, battery and suspension bushings. You could sense the frustration as she was telling me about it. At least I could remind her that one door had already been re-sealed and should still be under warrenty. I'm just bumed that she didn't upgrade to poly-bushings since I put a "right of first refusal" clause in the divorce decree.

So here is the new dilema, the ex-brother in law. He and I always got along famously and would routinely go driving. He has had a sucession of cars but his current stable is a 90's miyata with suspension and chassis upgrades and E39 M5. So one of the things i miss the most about the marriage was the power laps with him up route 9 over the Santa Cruz mountains. He is in town for turkey day and we are meant to get together for a beer. The question, is how can I not now out the car? Now there is the "driving bro factor" to contend with. I think this Wednesday is the day and instead of the new girl friend in the car, It will be the kids in the back.

I am then dealing with it by being out of town. I am headed up to one of the rainiest places on earth during the rainiest parts of the year, the Olympic Peninsula on a little three day excursion. Thank god I put on those winter tires and those mud flaps.

Cheers,

everyone!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #19
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Yeah.....this is getting WAY too Dr. Phil for a car forum...

Are you sure you're not just trying to save money on therapy???
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 11:46 PM   #20
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep

I wish you the best, but I agree that this has gone beyond the scope of this forum. It's not about BMWs anymore. There are deeper issues....
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 06:22 AM   #21
Archetype1
Rep

Very funny posts. Thanks. However, from one divorced guy to another I would most certainly wait until all papers are signed. Then, still check with your attorney. If she is vindictive there are ways of re-approaching the settlement to gouge you for more child support, alimony, etc. I don't know your situation but, I'd be Leary of poking the snake.

As some others suggested i would live your life, enjoy your car, newfound freedom, etc.

Good luck and enjoy the lifted weight,

Jack
      11-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #22
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep

Archetype is on the money. You have your freedom, and can make decisions with your interests in mind. That's a nice ability to have.
Appreciate 0