BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-05-2014, 07:19 AM   #1
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Rear Ended While Stopped Advice?

So I was sitting there stopped this morning and I had a volvo in front of me and a volvo behind me. I was thinking "damn this is dangerous I don't trust volvo drivers". Saw the woman behind me playing with her phone. Suddenly smack. She said she had her foot on the break and she didnt know what happened, but I know...she was texting or whatever and took her foot off and lunged into me.

No pic yet, but right above the diffuser is a golfball sized dent and a crack. The paint is definitely ruined there. The diffuser doesn't look like it lines up evenly anymore.

My insurance isn't open yet, but do you think they will replace the rear bumper or somehow try to repair it and then repaint it?

Even if they want to repair it I'm considering replacing the rear bumper on my dime and then using their paint to paint it, so any suggested bumpers? Who makes some good aftermarket ones? Maybe I'll use this as a chance to stand out a bit more with something more unique.

I'm pretty sure there is nothing to worry about mechanically with that slow of a speed or anything right? My PDC sensors don't seem to be damaged or anything like that.

Bummer for sure, but I'm trying to turn it into something positive in any way I can. I'll get pics later when it stops raining.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 07:45 AM   #2
Trptguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '87 BMW 325ic, '08 BMW 135i

definitely open a claim on her insurance. I was rear ended with the guy going 70mph and he is denying it right now so i had to hire a lawyer.

Call the insurance asap!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 08:06 AM   #3
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Already called my insurance, they know me well from all the idiots runing MY cars lol. I have 0 points on my insurance, but I've been in a ton of accidents, all other people to blame. Crazy.

But I'm looking at doing the 1M conversion now and trying to turn disaster into victory haha.

I found this 1M rear bumper on ebay that is made of the factory material. I'm pretty damn sure that I'll be getting this even if they don't pay for a new bumper, just repair and repaint.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E82-08-1...d74533&vxp=mtr

My only concern with it is I know its obviously for a quad exhaust, but will a factory dual exhaust fit it for now and just look goofy? I'm totally ok with looking weird as shit while I save up for a nice quad exhaust to make it look right. Just not sure I can spend the money on a quad right at this moment. I don't mind driving around with the dual in the quad bumper while I save for the right quad.

Then once the rear is taken care of I can save a bit and get a nice quality front bumper to go along with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 08:36 AM   #4
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ended being like $603 check. The rear bumper is supposed to be repaired, and the rear diffuser is to be replaced. I have a spare factory diffuser at home already, painted gloss black. Any suggestions where to take the car? I think I'll just stick with repairing the OEM bumper. The 1M rear requires the quad exhaust, and I don't want to waste the money.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
pdisher
privateer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MB E350 - Bluetec

that's your best bet...

I've been rear-ended twice in three years.

The insurance company always seems to look at the damage and write a check, based on the obvious damage, hoping you'll take the money and run.

Get the body shop involved and just give them the check.

When they take it apart there is almost always 'hidden damage'. The body shop notifies the insurance company, they come back, talk to the body shop and basically settle on what it will take to repair the damage.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 07:13 AM   #6
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Any suggestions for a good place to take it in Middlesex county?
Appreciate 0