Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Windshield replacement nightmare --- UPDATE and question

Went to a local shop with great reviews to get my cracked windshield replaced. The tech damaged the dash when scraping off higher broken remnants of the old windshield along the bottom. The told me about it and indicated they will have BMW do all the repair work, which will require a complete new dash (it is one piece) with instrument cluster, HVAC vents and Nav screen moved over.

As soon as I pulled out of the lot, the steering wheel felt wrong in my left hand when I slid it down the left side of the wheel. I looked to see if there was dirt or glue, and discovered an area of stress wrinkles and cracks about the size of a man's hand. I went immediately back and the techs tried to say that it looked weather-beaten.

Fortunately the manager understood my theory of how it happened: the tech looked to weigh about 350-400lb. He probably used the steering wheel to support the immense weight of his upper body when leaning over to reach the middle of the car to clean the old glass and glue off. He didn't have the same way to support himself on the passenger side, which happens to be where he slipped and damaged the dash.

Fat bastard.
Attached Images

1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.

Last edited by CarJunkie; 01-18-2022 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 2
ayao627.50
N55135i269.00
      06-04-2021, 05:52 PM   #2
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

SMFH man. So painful.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 06:14 PM   #3
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
SMFH man. So painful.
Damn sorry. I service my own car when possible for this very reason. Every time I go for service something happens.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 10:16 PM   #4
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Ohh fuck them to hell!!!!

Geez!!!! I'm pissed off for you 🤬🤬🤬

Please let us know how the repair goes.

What a pain in the ass!!!! Ugh!!!!
Appreciate 1
ayao627.50
      06-05-2021, 09:26 AM   #5
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Sorry for your loss.

I have now had 2 windshield replacements done on BMWs in the last several years; one on my 135is Convertible, and the other on my recently departed 2018 M2. Rock chips and cracks are extremely common in Idaho, especially during the winter driving season. My car insurance is with Safeco, and I pay extra for "full glass" coverage, which reduces the owner responsibility to zero.

I have had a few minor rock chips over the years, out of the line of sight, where I consented to have the windshield "repaired" rather than replaced, and in those instances I have gone where Safeco sent me, either to Safelight when in the big city, or a smaller more local provider who came to my house when at my principal residence in the mountains.

In the case of damage requiring windshield replacement, I have not accepted that the work be done by Safelight or other 3rd party provider. When calling the insurance company, they connect you directly to Safelight, but it is possible to refuse having the work being done by Safelight and to insist on referral to a BMW dealer for OEM glass. This is what I did with my 135is and with my M2. In both cases I received 100% reimbursement for what I paid, within 1-2 weeks. The dealer kept the car overnight each time to let the seals cure, and I was provided with a free loaner car. This work cost a multiple of what Safelight would have presumably charged Safeco. Instead of Safeco paying Safelight directly, I needed to pay for the work myself, then submit the bill to Safelight (who contracts all windshield work from my insurance company).

Obviously, this is not your situation, and insurance companies presumably differ in how they deal with windshield damage, so check with your own carrier before proceeding. With a car like a 1M, I would not want third party glass in it, unless I was 100% certain that it was exactly the same as what the dealer would install. In addition, if the dealer does any damage to the car in the process of replacing the windshield, they will presumably fix it, but since they know the car much better to begin with, the likelihood of them doing damage is reduced. A good Indie shop could also be an option, depending on the shop, but a lot of those don't mess with windshields.
      06-05-2021, 03:20 PM   #6
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I wonder now if BMW dealers replace their own glass. A few years back I got quotes from a couple of glass companies to replace windshield on my Subary Lagacy GT Wagon. I decided to take it to the dealer for this same reason. This was around 2003. The windshield was about $300 aftermarket and dealer was about $425. I went with dealer. I showed up a little bit early and there was a truck driving out of the dealer from one of the outfits that quoted me $300. An the service advisor sees him pulling out and say..."ah, your windshield is ready" That will be $425. : )
Appreciate 2
///BYU268.50
ayao627.50
      06-05-2021, 05:08 PM   #7
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

I have had Safelite do windshield (always OEM) replacements both at their shop and in my driveway on all my cars. Each time they turned out better than I expected (knock on wood.)

What Carjunkie describes, though, is just a nightmare. CJ - are they going to replace the steering wheel?

I agree with Nacho - anytime I have someone do something on the car it's just fodder for angst.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 06:42 PM   #8
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I wonder now if BMW dealers replace their own glass. A few years back I got quotes from a couple of glass companies to replace windshield on my Subary Lagacy GT Wagon. I decided to take it to the dealer for this same reason. This was around 2003. The windshield was about $300 aftermarket and dealer was about $425. I went with dealer. I showed up a little bit early and there was a truck driving out of the dealer from one of the outfits that quoted me $300. An the service advisor sees him pulling out and say..."ah, your windshield is ready" That will be $425. : )
My local dealer uses a mobile service for glass.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 06:43 PM   #9
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
I have had Safelite do windshield (always OEM) replacements both at their shop and in my driveway on all my cars. Each time they turned out better than I expected (knock on wood.)

What Carjunkie describes, though, is just a nightmare. CJ - are they going to replace the steering wheel?

I agree with Nacho - anytime I have someone do something on the car it's just fodder for angst.
They will be paying my local BMW dealer to replace the dash and steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 08:06 PM   #10
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The BMW dealer in Boise told me that they do windshield replacements in house, and to all appearances they did on both of my cars, with the most recent replacement having been done 1.5 years ago. This dealer also owns a number of other brand dealerships all on the same very large "campus," including Toyota, Lexus, GM, Cadillac, RAM, Dodge, Chrysler, and Jeep. They also have a body shop on site. It's certainly possible that they have window people who work on all of their brands; that I wouldn't know.
ayao627.50
      06-05-2021, 11:32 PM   #11
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Quote:
The BMW dealer in Boise told me that they do windshield replacements in house, and to all appearances they did on both of my cars, with the most recent replacement having been done 1.5 years ago. This dealer also owns a number of other brand dealerships all on the same very large "campus," including Toyota, Lexus, GM, Cadillac, RAM, Dodge, Chrysler, and Jeep. They also have a body shop on site. It's certainly possible that they have window people who work on all of their brands; that I wouldn't know.
Shameless plug: it isn't to far from Boise to Bend.....whatcha doing next weekend?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 01:22 PM   #12
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Shameless plug: it isn't to far from Boise to Bend.....whatcha doing next weekend?
It would be fun to go, however I have some work planned at my Boise house next Saturday, plus have another trip shortly to San Diego, followed by a trip to France shortly after that one, if I can get the planets to all line up.

Bottom line, I do have some work I need to get done, not enough time to do it, plus I'm already tripped out for the next month or two.

But it would be a blast and I hope that all of you attending have a great time! I'll have to content myself with getting together with Nacho in San Diego near the end of the month, something we planned a while back.
      06-07-2021, 10:02 PM   #13
etr2016
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - Black

As a resident of Arizona, where the average highway speed is 85 and rocks are thrown all over the place, windshields are replaced often. No glass replacement place is "always OEM." Maybe if you're paying out of your own pocket it is. Or if you pay the difference. The 1M is an exception because the car was made in such few numbers no aftermarket company has glass for it so they have to use OEM. On my Lexus it's always "OEM Equivalent." Hell, the 1M is the only car I've ever had that has had OEM glass covered by insurance at 100% (which is an AZ law - insurance companies must cover 100% of the repair).
2022 - Lexus ES350 - Black
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 12:30 AM   #14
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr2016 View Post
As a resident of Arizona, where the average highway speed is 85 and rocks are thrown all over the place, windshields are replaced often. No glass replacement place is "always OEM." Maybe if you're paying out of your own pocket it is. Or if you pay the difference. The 1M is an exception because the car was made in such few numbers no aftermarket company has glass for it so they have to use OEM. On my Lexus it's always "OEM Equivalent." Hell, the 1M is the only car I've ever had that has had OEM glass covered by insurance at 100% (which is an AZ law - insurance companies must cover 100% of the repair).
Whether or not a dealer (probably any good dealer of any brand of car) actually does the repair, I'd expect that if you took the car to them that OEM glass would get used in the repair.

I can't speak for what you would experience with all the after market repair companies, but I do know that with Safelite they at least state that if you insist on OEM glass that they will use it. Presumably this would cost more in most places with most insurance companies.

I think that I may have had a windshield replacement on a Subaru once, that was done by Safelite. I traded the car in shortly after that repair and it was years ago and I don't remember anything about the experience.

My other windshield replacements have been more recent and have been done by the BMW dealer in house, and they did use OEM glass.

There are probably a number of other relatively limited production cars out there where only OEM glass is available, perhaps including a Z3M or Z3 Coupe, Porsche Turbos, etc.
      01-18-2022, 04:50 PM   #15
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I had been told that the replacement dash would arrive sometime in the late fall. Alas it is now January. I stopped by the dealer today and talked to my parts guy . . . still no ETA for the dash 7 months after it was ordered, and with supply issues as they are now it is unlikely that there will be any news soon.

I am considering taking a check from the insurance to cover the full estimated cost of repair PLUS compensation for loss of value. Honestly, I don't intend to sell the car. The cosmetic damage is minor and not visible except when washing the windshield. I have significant concerns about rattles after the whole dash is removed and replaced. Even if I did sell, I would never get top dollar for my 1M, which is clearly a "driver quality" car. From a financial perspective, the history of full dash replacement (would go onto Carfax due to insurance payout) may be as much of an issue to a potential buyer as the minor damage if left alone.

What says the collective mind here?

If I go the cash route, what is a reasonable "loss of value" claim for a car with dash replacement which previously had a clean carfax?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 08:49 PM   #16
etr2016
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - Black

I would take the cash value. Replacing the dashboard sounds like a real PITA that will almost certainly result in rattles. i once traded in a car because of a rattle in the sunroof sos maybe I'm more sensitive than others. I imagine the cash value of this would be huge. I think the loss of value would be hard to pinpoint.
2022 - Lexus ES350 - Black
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2615.50
      01-19-2022, 06:48 AM   #17
Holly White
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

I would take the cash in your case too. Have you looked at businesses that provide dash repair services? They can achieve brilliant results in some cases.
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2615.50
      01-19-2022, 11:33 AM   #18
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 14 X5 x35i

Quote:
Quote:
Is the 1m glass really any different than a 135? I'd expect they are the same and I would just request a 135 windshield to avoid the M tax.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 04:25 PM   #19
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by markslc1 View Post
Is the 1m glass really any different than a 135? I'd expect they are the same and I would just request a 135 windshield to avoid the M tax.
All 1ers use the same windscreen, only difference is rain sensor or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 03:54 AM   #20
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
I had been told that the replacement dash would arrive sometime in the late fall. Alas it is now January. I stopped by the dealer today and talked to my parts guy . . . still no ETA for the dash 7 months after it was ordered, and with supply issues as they are now it is unlikely that there will be any news soon.

… I have significant concerns about rattles after the whole dash is removed and replaced. …

If I go the cash route, what is a reasonable "loss of value" claim for a car with dash replacement which previously had a clean carfax?
I’ve taken out my dash to enable an 100% OEM routing of the 302 Alarm Retrofit accessory (was manditory for insurance in my home country). I would not have trusted any dealer to do this. But I recall that the factory must have known about the rattle spots as i found extra lint tape on the corner spots near glass. Think these were done proactively (my build date was 20/9/2011) so may not result in rattle in every car. My point is that if you’re no stranger to hex bits en 10mm socket wrench and you have a solid 2 days and without reservation trust your own mechanics skills, it can be cathartic. You’ll visit the deep spaces in your 1M that few will ever experience, and afterwards you’ll feel even more connected to all things e8x/e9x.

Last edited by eeghie; 01-26-2022 at 04:08 AM..
Appreciate 4
PRTSB1M282.00
CarJunkie2615.50
ayao627.50
123i25.00
      01-27-2022, 08:15 PM   #21
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Quote:

… I have significant concerns about rattles after the whole dash is removed and replaced. …

I’ve taken out my dash to enable an 100% OEM routing of the 302 Alarm Retrofit accessory (was manditory for insurance in my home country). I would not have trusted any dealer to do this. But I recall that the factory must have known about the rattle spots as i found extra lint tape on the corner spots near glass. Think these were done proactively (my build date was 20/9/2011) so may not result in rattle in every car. My point is that if you’re no stranger to hex bits en 10mm socket wrench and you have a solid 2 days and without reservation trust your own mechanics skills, it can be cathartic. You’ll visit the deep spaces in your 1M that few will ever experience, and afterwards you’ll feel even more connected to all things e8x/e9x.
I prefer to do my own work, but I don't think this is one I would want to tackle.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 04:57 PM   #22
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I heard back from the parts guy at my local dealership a few weeks ago. He put in a ticket with BMW to find out why there was no ETA for the replacement dash. They had to research it with their suppliers, and could not come back with any ETA, but likely to be sometime in late 2022 or early 2023.

I am going to get a cash payout because I can't just keep waiting on the assumption that this dash will ever show up. I have my dealership service advisor writing up a full comprehensive estimate for the cost of the repair.

How much extra should I request for "loss of value?" The way I see it a car with a replaced dash would have a lower value than a car that was fully original, even if the replacement is perfect. That is the kind of number I would like to ask for. I will probably work with a lawyer if it seems to be worthwhile. What do you folks think that number should be? $2000? $5000? $15,698.24?
Appreciate 1
ayao627.50