BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-27-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

brushed aluminum trim

Has anyone seen these in person?
Does anyone in the US have this trim through special order?
Can we get this in the US?
If so, how much for the set?

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...=aluminum+trim

This is the trim I would have chosen if it were available.
I wonder if I could have ordered this anyway as a special item, like some paint colors and leather colors?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #2
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
See if Tischer carrys it...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Better hurry. BMW is About to stop allowing Americans to import eourope spec parts

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Hi,

I had this as stock and found that it marks and scratches really easily so I got the carbon fibre trim instead.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
Lexington
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Blue Water

Saw this in a M3 and didn't think it looked that good. Not nearly as good as the carbon leather trim.
      05-28-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Has anyone seen these in person?
Does anyone in the US have this trim through special order?
Can we get this in the US?
If so, how much for the set?

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...=aluminum+trim

This is the trim I would have chosen if it were available.
I wonder if I could have ordered this anyway as a special item, like some paint colors and leather colors?
I had a loaner 116i hatch... it had that brushed aluminum trim.

It looked really BAD. As in el cheap-O!!! It looks like plastic until you touch it and realize its cold metal. Plus it doesn't even match the other trim parts of the car like the steering wheel inserts and ashtray cover! Here are a few pics I took back in the winter time.

and the dirt power plant!

I think you are in the Grass is always greener... mode! This loaner car was so bad. Not just in power... but in trim and feel quality. I would much rather drive/have a new VW Golf than this 1-er! The doors felt really thin (1/3 the feel of our 135i's) and the suspension was really bad, in cornering and feed back.

I have driven 316Ti's and 316i sedans before... this was really bellow them in quality and feel. I have driven another 116d and it was the same story... except that deisel engine was really quite decent.

After driving a euro 1er you really appreciate how luxo our cars are. When BMW says near Luxo trim... that is exactly how our cars feel. The way our doors feel when you close them... the way our suspension feel... steering... it is on a whole other level than the 1er hatches.

I would be interested in driving a 130i or even a 120d to see how they "feel".

- David -

Last edited by Dackelone; 05-29-2010 at 04:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
allies_jh
Dr. J
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2012 135i  [0.00]
One of my friends has this in his M3. Its not that great. It actually feels weird. It's like it's fuzzy or something...really strange. But if you like that kind of thing...go for it.
      05-28-2010, 06:01 PM   #8
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

I have brushed aluminium on my car and its the best trim in my opinion. Hasnt scratched yet and looks fantastic. It isnt 'fuzzy' either. It is basically as described...brushed aluminium that has been coated with a clear coat so is smooth to touch. The other trim options look a bit cheap and plasticky.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 11:39 PM   #9
TPLSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Porsche GT4

I originally wanted brushed aluminum when I ordered my 135i, but they only offered the glacier trim in the US. After seeing a 3 series with the brunshed aluminum trim after a few years of use, I'm glad they only offered the glacier trim! The brushed trim doesn't seem to age very well. Saw a used 3 series and the trim was scratched up and dented.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 12:31 AM   #10
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
Hi,

I had this as stock and found that it marks and scratches really easily so I got the carbon fibre trim instead.

Jack
Marks and scratches? Is it not real brushed aluminum then?
I had the real stuff in my S-line A4. Never scratched, looked great after 3yrs.
Is this some painted trim that just looks like aluminum?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 12:43 AM   #11
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPLSM3 View Post
I originally wanted brushed aluminum when I ordered my 135i, but they only offered the glacier trim in the US. After seeing a 3 series with the brunshed aluminum trim after a few years of use, I'm glad they only offered the glacier trim! The brushed trim doesn't seem to age very well. Saw a used 3 series and the trim was scratched up and dented.
Maybe it's the clear cost they use. Seems from the descriptions it's real metal but it's coated.
Also, in those pictures, there doesn't appear to be much "brush" in the brushed aluminum. I'm guessing it's something like the metal trim around the start button?

In my A4 the trim was very nice and great quality. It didn't feel coated at all, although I'm sure it has something. I guess that's what I was expecting, but it seems that's not what it is.

I didn't care for the glacier trim. In some spots it looks like dimpled aluminum foil. I'm not a fan of traditional wood stains either, and the gloss black looked like it would be a swirl scratch catcher. I opted for the gray poplar and it's actually very nice, nice accent with the red leather, and everyone compliments it.

I guess I'll drop my want for this.
Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 01:14 AM   #12
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

I agree, if it gets scratched and aged quickly, then it is more likely painted plastic.
      08-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #13
Texan Engineer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i + ///M Sport Pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I had a loaner 116i hatch... it had that brushed aluminum trim.

It looked really BAD. As in el cheap-O!!! It looks like plastic until you touch it and realize its cold metal. Plus it doesn't even match the other trim parts of the car like the steering wheel inserts and ashtray cover! Here are a few pics I took back in the winter time.

I think you are in the Grass is always greener... mode! This loaner car was so bad. Not just in power... but in trim and feel quality. I would much rather drive/have a new VW Golf than this 1-er! The doors felt really thin (1/3 the feel of our 135i's) and the suspension was really bad, in cornering and feed back.

I have driven 316Ti's and 316i sedans before... this was really bellow them in quality and feel. I have driven another 116d and it was the same story... except that deisel engine was really quite decent.

After driving a euro 1er you really appreciate how luxo our cars are. When BMW says near Luxo trim... that is exactly how our cars feel. The way our doors feel when you close them... the way our suspension feel... steering... it is on a whole other level than the 1er hatches.

I would be interested in driving a 130i or even a 120d to see how they "feel".

- David -
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but I'm trying to get a bit of clarification.

Dackleone: Are you sure that's the brushed aluminum trim? I hoped onto the BMW UK configurator (E82 coupe) and it shows that they have available both satin silver and brushed aluminum. Judging from the pictures on this thread:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236333

What you got is satin silver? I'm only asking because I just ordered my 128i and upon seeing the Glacier aluminum (also shown in that thread) I hate the fish scales look. I agree that the pictures you posted three years ago look crap-tastic, but it just doesn't feel like brushed aluminum, considering that brushed is an option in the UK (and presumably the rest of Europe?). Thoughts?

I'm going to try and get my hands on some brushed alu trim. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to matching things, and it does bother me that the ugly glacier alu trim doesn't match the start button bezel or the door handles. I'm not worried about the steering wheel or shifter, since I've got the M-Sport Package
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #14
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Engineer View Post
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but I'm trying to get a bit of clarification.

Dackleone: Are you sure that's the brushed aluminum trim? I hoped onto the BMW UK configurator (E82 coupe) and it shows that they have available both satin silver and brushed aluminum. Judging from the pictures on this thread:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236333

What you got is satin silver? I'm only asking because I just ordered my 128i and upon seeing the Glacier aluminum (also shown in that thread) I hate the fish scales look. I agree that the pictures you posted three years ago look crap-tastic, but it just doesn't feel like brushed aluminum, considering that brushed is an option in the UK (and presumably the rest of Europe?). Thoughts?

I'm going to try and get my hands on some brushed alu trim. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to matching things, and it does bother me that the ugly glacier alu trim doesn't match the start button bezel or the door handles. I'm not worried about the steering wheel or shifter, since I've got the M-Sport Package

I am not sure what the trim was called in my old loaner car. I guess it could have been satin silver and not brushed. ???

In my own 135i I have Glacier aluminum - and I must say I really love it.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #15
Texan Engineer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i + ///M Sport Pkg

Thanks, guess I'll take the plunge and see if I can get my hands on some brushed alu trim.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #16
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Engineer View Post
Thanks, guess I'll take the plunge and see if I can get my hands on some brushed alu trim.
Best thing would be to order a small trim piece(or ask your dealer to show you the trim) and see how you like it. Maybe order it from one of the EU mail order dealers.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #17
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

In the original 2008 1-series brochure, all the pictures of the car had the brushed aluminum trim, which looked great and what I thought I ordered 2 months before the car came out. Nothing like finding out while it's on a boat that it has a completely different trim, though I ended up liking the glacier aluminum but was hesitant at first.

The brushed aluminum appeared to match the aluminum trim on a 2008 non sports package steering wheel. I should try to take a picture of the brochure when I get home as I still have it. Or if you look at pictures of the non sports package steering wheel, I think it'd then match that and the door handles, start/stop bezel, etc.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #18
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

My brother had it in his former 118d (Europe) and I think it is bland and does not look as good as the glacier silver aluminum that is available in the US.
Not sure about BMW's brushed alu but I had a Volvo S40 with it and that thing was way too easy to dent. I am very picky but I had a few dents caused by my watch buckle on the driver door and a dent caused by my cell phone on the console.
      08-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #19
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
My Infiniti has what they call "Shodo" brushed aluminum trim. It seems very durable, looks good, and doesn't have a single scratch in it. When it came time to order my 135is, I was not a fan of the Glacier Silver Aluminum trim, partly because I wanted to lighten up the cabin and get the Oyster interior accents and the Glacier doesn't really go with it. I might get the carbon fiber interior trim kit sometime down the road.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #20
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikMsport View Post
My Infiniti has what they call "Shodo" brushed aluminum trim. It seems very durable, looks good, and doesn't have a single scratch in it. When it came time to order my 135is, I was not a fan of the Glacier Silver Aluminum trim, partly because I wanted to lighten up the cabin and get the Oyster interior accents and the Glacier doesn't really go with it. I might get the carbon fiber interior trim kit sometime down the road.
Rik - someone on the forum might be willing to swap for their trim if you had an interest say in the high gloss black perhaps. That BMW carbon fiber trim is expeeeensive. I wonder what high gloss black costs if you bought that as a new set vs carbon fiber. I also know someone in the midwest who might want to swap their I forget the name of that new dark dark something-line wood trim from the limited edition 135 for glacier aluminum.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #21
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Rik - someone on the forum might be willing to swap for their trim if you had an interest say in the high gloss black perhaps. That BMW carbon fiber trim is expeeeensive. I wonder what high gloss black costs if you bought that as a new set vs carbon fiber. I also know someone in the midwest who might want to swap their I forget the name of that new dark dark something-line wood trim from the limited edition 135 for glacier aluminum.
I think the Anthracite or high gloss black would be a better match with Oyster interior than the Glacier Silver Aluminum. I'll stick with the Glacier for at least a couple of months to see if it grows on me... then probably decide to use the money I would have spent on carbon fiber bits on winter wheels and tires (it stays at/near/below freezing for a large part of the winter season here where I live). Swapping is a great idea though... I'm sure someone with black seating surfaces would love to trade their gloss black or anthracite trim for Glacier.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #22
Southjersey128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
You can always wrap your trim with vinyl. brushed aluminum. I did mine in black brushed aluminum and it came out great. Best part is its cheap and removable if you don't want it anymore.
Afe Scoops and CAI, PBX, BMS Paddleshift upgrade, 261M's Powder Coated Gunmetal, 225/255 Michelin PSS, (BMW Performance: BBK, Illuminated Door Sills, Shifter Knob and Boot, E-Brake Handle, Steering Wheel, Front Strut Bar), E93 FSB, E92 RSB, M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, M3 Front Control Arms, HPA coilover kit (Koni Adjustables and Swift Springs), Steel Brake Hoses, Black Kidneys, Smoked LED side markers, Blacklines, Msport lip spoiler...
Appreciate 0