BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-07-2015, 06:27 AM   #155
MattyGee
Rep
Drives: E91 320d M-Sport

I fitted my darklines last night to my '09 E88 - no codes thrown and worked perfectly, so quick and easy to fit too - thanks for the guide
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2015, 01:36 AM   #156
liebemeinauto
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i AW

2008 E82 Black Line issue?

Hello all -- will hope for some help here.

I was eagerly looking to install the LCI Black Lines, which seemed, at first glance, a straight forward plug and play facelift part for my 2008 135i (Xenon equipped, of course), but, in contacting Schmiedmann (I contacted them because they have a better price than ECS, for the same part # 63212225282), I have been told I DO need a footwell module, converter cable, and I am guessing also coding.

But aren't the Black Lines supposed to be complete plug and play on the 135i? Anybody know what gives on this?

I see ECS, despite having a big red "no coding required" cheer on their site, also has fine print at the bottom that some additional wiring "may" be required...so is this a hit and miss, depending on production date of the car? I've emailed them also, but thought direct experience from owners might be more helpful, since other vendors I've asked, who sell these, can only tell me that "maybe" they work, or that they "should" work.

Hours of research and searching on forums hasn't clarified this too much, with conclusions pretty hard to pin down, and I even see where some places sell these as a kit, with the module and converter, telling me that these apparently are not always plug and play....

Yet, I see some 2008 folks on here, who have done this....

Anybody run into this problem, that some E82's can't do this, without the module/converter/coding?

Apparently I can do the non-Black Lines, the non-tinted ones, which are a different part number, and are US Spec, but not the Black Lines...meaning I either don't get these nice tinted ones, or else invest probably more time and money than I want to in trying to make it happen.

If it's helpful, my production date is 2008-02-15

This was the reply from Schmiedmann, to my inquiry on fitment, having provided my VIN:

HI Michael,

Funnily enough, BMW do not inform of the light mod under your chassis number

They inform of

1) 61122219698 Bmw OE retrofit cable set
2) Foot-room module 3 (newest number 61359390483)

And the selection of the facelift lights (high version)

We have to look under the LCI variant of the E82 (blackline)
And here we find the 63212225282 unit set.

So it is possible, but in addition of the wiring and FRM3 unit.
This is as prescribed from BMW

Kind regards
Andrew

Not that I shouldn't just trust the expert there, haha, but I really want these, and just am wondering if it's a computer glitch of some sort, or if anyone else has come up not able to direct fit, pnp these...

Of those who stated they were not pnp for their car, I could not find someone with my same year and model, so it's all a bit confusing, especially when I am seeing 2008 rides here that seem to have done it, no problem...

Any help is hugely appreciated!
Stay tuned, be tuned. '08 135i N54 6MT, Coral Red Interior, Fire Orange custom grilles and fade-to-black custom BMW Rear Wing, Black Line tail lights, Cobb CP, Forge DV's, aFe DCI's, ETS 5" FMIC, aFe Mach Power exhaust, Cobb catted DP's, M Suspension bits, PTF tune (on Cobb AP), 6000k Xenons, Lux H8 Amber halos, Custom fogs. Conformity is for wimps!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 01:42 AM   #157
heeblet
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i xDrive F31

You will be fine. Plug and play. I Gave my facelift lcis old to my 2008 buddy. Same plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 01:51 AM   #158
liebemeinauto
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeblet View Post
You will be fine. Plug and play. I Gave my facelift lcis old to my 2008 buddy. Same plug and play.
Those were the Euro spec Black Lines that worked, or OEM LCI's?

Part of my confusion is vendors using OEM LCI interchangeably with the Euro spec Black Lines, which are different part numbers of course....

Thanks much for the response!
Stay tuned, be tuned. '08 135i N54 6MT, Coral Red Interior, Fire Orange custom grilles and fade-to-black custom BMW Rear Wing, Black Line tail lights, Cobb CP, Forge DV's, aFe DCI's, ETS 5" FMIC, aFe Mach Power exhaust, Cobb catted DP's, M Suspension bits, PTF tune (on Cobb AP), 6000k Xenons, Lux H8 Amber halos, Custom fogs. Conformity is for wimps!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 04:45 AM   #159
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by liebemeinauto View Post
Those were the Euro spec Black Lines that worked, or OEM LCI's?

Part of my confusion is vendors using OEM LCI interchangeably with the Euro spec Black Lines, which are different part numbers of course....

Thanks much for the response!
It does not matter! IF your car had LED tail lights... and you want LCI or Blacklines... they will work! Totally PnP.

The problem is when your EU spec car has LCI halogen headlights(eye brow)... then you need a new FR3 footwel module, I believe. All US spec cars have this - since they all came with LED tail lights.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 04:17 PM   #160
liebemeinauto
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
It does not matter! IF your car had LED tail lights... and you want LCI or Blacklines... they will work! Totally PnP.

The problem is when your EU spec car has LCI halogen headlights(eye brow)... then you need a new FR3 footwel module, I believe. All US spec cars have this - since they all came with LED tail lights.

Dackel
Thanks Dackel!

I received confirmation from ECS as well -- they took the time to contact BMW, which was great of them to do, and has certainly earned my buying dollars going their way, for the purchase.

The lights are cheaper from Germany, but a bit easier to buy State side for me, and since the German vendor says they won't work (despite the same part number....weird ), I'd rather buy from ECS anyway, because they've guaranteed fitment. Not sure why my car came up as needing the extra stuff plus coding, from Deutschland, but glad to know it was a mistake, because the Black Lines are what I want.

Nothing against the US Spec version, but I just prefer the tint in the Black Lines. Not so much red, and accents the orange better, which goes very well with the theme of my car.

Can hopefully get them in by Christmas, and post some pics. Can show off my custom performance rear spoiler then as well -- got a great shop to work with me on it, doing a BMW Fire Orange base that fades to black.

Life may have its woes, but my car makes it all better. BMW Therapy FTW!

Appreciate 1
      12-03-2015, 11:54 AM   #161
liebemeinauto
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks Dack for the great DIY -- took all the mystery out of it!

Install smooth as butter, and they look amazing. Gives the car a whole new look.

I also had the one side up, one side down plug thing.

Wound up ordering the Black Lines from ECS after Schmiedmann said they wouldn't fit -- turns out it's the same part, lol, and they were just telling me what BMW told them, so live and learn, and coulda saved a few bucks, but I'm just happy to have them in, and thanks to Dack and those here who assured me the fitment would be fine.

Will post pics when I wash the car -- nothing but rainy, dirty roads at the moment....
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2015, 09:47 PM   #162
Gojira
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Installed the blacklines from Schmiedmann (63-21-2-225-282) on my car yesterday and finding that the driver side bottom LED line is dimmer than the passenger side (closer to the trunk side). Wonder if the LED is dead and there doesn't seem to be any way to replace them. Really disappointed and probably going to return the lights. Anyone else have this issue?
      12-22-2015, 04:07 AM   #163
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojira View Post
Installed the blacklines from Schmiedmann (63-21-2-225-282) on my car yesterday and finding that the driver side bottom LED line is dimmer than the passenger side (closer to the trunk side). Wonder if the LED is dead and there doesn't seem to be any way to replace them. Really disappointed and probably going to return the lights. Anyone else have this issue?

Sounds like a bad light. ? Maybe you can plug in the other side's light(even though it won't fit physically on the car... (I don't even know IF that can be done, look at the plugs to see IF they are "keyed")... just plug it into the other side of the car and see how both led tubes look.

Could also be a ground problem with that side of the car. Look further down the wiring harness... there is a brown wire that screws into the chassis there. Make sure its tight and clean. Ever have any body work done to your car ?

Dackel
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #164
Gojira
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Hmm I will look to see if the ground is solid. I will also see if I can test the connection with the other light to see if I get the same results.

The rear bumper was replaced/repainted about 2 years ago via a minor bump from a Sheriff's car of all things.

Thanks for the pointers!

Edit:
So this turned out to be a bad driver side light. When I plugged in the passenger side light to the driver side wires the entire taillight was bright and worked as it should. Sending both back for a refund. =(

Last edited by Gojira; 12-22-2015 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2016, 01:25 PM   #165
desertfox85
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i

So I've read through tons (literally) of posts/threads/forums on this LCI tail light topic. Long story short, I have the non-xenon headlights thus my LCI tail lights lack the LEDs to light the bars. Here's my question.....Has ANYONE tried doing a DIY to make the non-xenon version like the xenon version? Taking the bugger apart and adding in some LEDs of your own plus the wiring, etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 01:30 PM   #166
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox85 View Post
So I've read through tons (literally) of posts/threads/forums on this LCI tail light topic. Long story short, I have the non-xenon headlights thus my LCI tail lights lack the LEDs to light the bars. Here's my question.....Has ANYONE tried doing a DIY to make the non-xenon version like the xenon version? Taking the bugger apart and adding in some LEDs of your own plus the wiring, etc etc.
No. I have not seen anyone try that. I've only seen where people use the Xenon LCI's or LCI Blacklines on a halogen car and use a "jumper wire" to light up the two LED tubes.

Perhaps its possible to use some sort of LED lamp in your halogen tails to light up those "tubes".

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 01:46 PM   #167
desertfox85
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i

Thanks for the input Dack...a lot of what I read was from your posting/findings, lessons learned, etc. I really don't want to fork out a bunch of money for tail lights. Looks like I have myself yet another project this weekend! Already working on Angel/Halo eye headlights, now this....
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2016, 03:09 PM   #168
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox85 View Post
Thanks for the input Dack...a lot of what I read was from your posting/findings, lessons learned, etc. I really don't want to fork out a bunch of money for tail lights. Looks like I have myself yet another project this weekend! Already working on Angel/Halo eye headlights, now this....
The LCI tail lights are confusing to order the correct ones. I basically tell everyone that when ordering the Blacklines... order the #282 (xenon)kit that comes with two tail lights from BMW for the best price.

IF you don't want the slight tinted Blacklines... then order the xenon lci versions for your car - even IF you don't have xenons... you can make them work with a "jumper wire". But I believe they are all PnP on all US 1er's - bc they have the same footwel module(FR3). EU 1er halogen models only have the FR2 module, so they need to use a jumper wire to my xenon lci's work(LED tube to light up with lights on).

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 02:48 PM   #169
Tysken
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

I installed my Blackline rear lights earlier today. I'm satisfied with the result. Now I have to wait until spring is here and the streets are cleaned from all the dust before I take the little devil out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-18-2016, 07:42 PM   #170
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Tysken your car looks great with those Blacklines.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 10:32 AM   #171
alammers
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
I had the same issue when I installed my blacklines yesterday. I am going to plug in the passenger side assembly that I know lights up fully. If it does light up all the way than I will be returning these and getting another set.............
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 02:44 PM   #172
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alammers View Post
I had the same issue when I installed my blacklines yesterday. I am going to plug in the passenger side assembly that I know lights up fully. If it does light up all the way than I will be returning these and getting another set.............
IF it works on the other side... I wold check your chassis grounds. I bet you have a bad ground. You could just run a "jumper" ground on that side - to fix that dim light.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 12:34 AM   #173
Gojira
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Finally received the replacement set of blacklines from Schmiedmann. Installed them tonight, looks great!
Attached Images

Last edited by Gojira; 03-29-2016 at 12:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2016, 07:11 PM   #174
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Gojira your blacklines look FANTASTIC!!!
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2016, 09:31 PM   #175
SixBanger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I'm on my second set of blacklines that I received last year from Schmeidmann. They have yet to be installed on my car, because my first set went bad 6 months after I installed them. My left tail light went dim. Is there a known issue I can prevent before installing my second set? I'd hate to waste a good set of blacklines on my car.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 03:29 PM   #176
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
I'm on my second set of blacklines that I received last year from Schmeidmann. They have yet to be installed on my car, because my first set went bad 6 months after I installed them. My left tail light went dim. Is there a known issue I can prevent before installing my second set? I'd hate to waste a good set of blacklines on my car.
Check your chassis grounds(in each corner of the car). Perhaps you have a bad ground wire(loose connection?) or corrosion.

Only the stock pre LCI tail lights had a problem, where the LED tubes would break at the circuit board. ALL pre LCI lights made before December 2011 will go bad like that. Thats why a lot of us upgraded to Blacklines.
Appreciate 0