BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-17-2012, 05:39 AM   #1
pechs2k
Private
Rep
Drives:

Stock charge pipe or suggestions for aftermarket fitments

Hello,

After taking my car to BMW for servicing and replacing my dci to my stock box I noticed I lost boost. After further investigation we realised the charge pipe loose from cracking of the pipe either from running too much boost or BMW apprentices messin around and not making the necessary repairs... Either way, I prefer not to blame either and tbh BMW will just blame the extra boost over taking any blame!

If anyone has gone aftermarket and has a spare stock charge pipe and wants to be a great Samaritan and send my way, happy to pick up anywhere in Sydney

In fairness, I will happily pay fair market price whatever that is, I'm sure will be better than buying from BMW.

Or

Any suggestions on some good aftermarket bits?

Thanks all

Billy
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

it's always a good idea to upgrade at times like this.. i don't have any personal experience, but everyone always seems happy with BMS products?... but i'll be happy to offload my stock charge pipe if that's how you decide to go
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
pechs2k
Private
Rep
Drives:

Hey flinchy cheers for the late reply. Did you replace with an aftermarket part? Assume it was from bms?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
Curare86
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pechs2k View Post
Hello,

After taking my car to BMW for servicing and replacing my dci to my stock box I noticed I lost boost. After further investigation we realised the charge pipe loose from cracking of the pipe either from running too much boost or BMW apprentices messin around and not making the necessary repairs... Either way, I prefer not to blame either and tbh BMW will just blame the extra boost over taking any blame!

If anyone has gone aftermarket and has a spare stock charge pipe and wants to be a great Samaritan and send my way, happy to pick up anywhere in Sydney

In fairness, I will happily pay fair market price whatever that is, I'm sure will be better than buying from BMW.

Or

Any suggestions on some good aftermarket bits?

Thanks all

Billy
I went wth the ER chargepipe from Stu at BMR and Im very happy with it. Havent seen the BMS equivalent in real life though
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pechs2k
Hey flinchy cheers for the late reply. Did you replace with an aftermarket part? Assume it was from bms?
No worries

I haven't actually replaced it, it's an engine i'm stripping to build for a project, so a handful of stock parts i'll replace in the process.. In the end.. I have no idea what i'll replace it with. There's a fair few to choose from.. Whichever's the best i guess, if there's a dyno-able/fitment/finish quality etc. difference hah

For you..? I guess something that works with factory diverter valves, not chasing crazy power?.. Evolution racewerks and bms both have them for pretty much the same price ($250ish pp?), other manufacturers too probably, also probably for similar prices, on phone now so can't check..

I know bms has excellent customer service, and they carry multiple brands i believe, so probably a good idea to shoot them an email
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #6
bsm135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i

I've got an Er charge pipe, and it's worked great.
Paired up with a synapse, bov.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #7
pechs2k
Private
Rep
Drives:

Tbh I want something that won't come off at a sniff of boost!...

Thanks for your offer, but looking at prices for aftermarket ones, dont think it will kill me to get an aftermarket part and fitted tomorrow.

Looks like I'm going aftermarket after all. What's the bet I get a dp and full race exhaust with a bit of up selling"!

Cheers, why are you rebuilding? Project car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
No worries

I haven't actually replaced it, it's an engine i'm stripping to build for a project, so a handful of stock parts i'll replace in the process.. In the end.. I have no idea what i'll replace it with. There's a fair few to choose from.. Whichever's the best i guess, if there's a dyno-able/fitment/finish quality etc. difference hah

For you..? I guess something that works with factory diverter valves, not chasing crazy power?.. Evolution racewerks and bms both have them for pretty much the same price ($250ish pp?), other manufacturers too probably, also probably for similar prices, on phone now so can't check..

I know bms has excellent customer service, and they carry multiple brands i believe, so probably a good idea to shoot them an email
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
pechs2k
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18dim View Post
I've got an Er charge pipe, and it's worked great.
Paired up with a synapse, bov.
Cheers, looking at a similar set up. Hope this is the cause of my loss in boost and nothing more major!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
Knightelf
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Get the ER chargepipe, I also bought it from Stu @ BMR
The stock one will always have a risk of coming off/leaking with increased boost

Build thread: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1149793
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #10
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pechs2k
Tbh I want something that won't come off at a sniff of boost!...

Thanks for your offer, but looking at prices for aftermarket ones, dont think it will kill me to get an aftermarket part and fitted tomorrow.

Looks like I'm going aftermarket after all. What's the bet I get a dp and full race exhaust with a bit of up selling"!

Cheers, why are you rebuilding? Project car?

Quote:
No worries

Good choice! haha

>go in for charge pipes... Leave fully catless with straight pipes >_>

N54 into an e87, so yep, big project
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Why replace a part that failed with the same part?

ER all the way
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
pechs2k
Private
Rep
Drives:

good point.

now take my credit card details and be gone. hahah

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post

ER all the way
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #13
mickypal82
Things that make you go Mmmm
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post

ER all the way
Stu,

Sent you a PM about a N54 charge pipe. Just double checking if you got it

Cheers

Michael
ESS Tune | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Akrapovic DP's | ETS FMIC | GruppeM Intake | Eibach Springs | 20" Vertini Black Magic Rims | Electronic Performance Steering Wheel | LUX Angel Eyes | Lightweight Front Lip | Gloss Black Kidney Grills | Gloss Black Side Grills | Black Race Pedals
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #14
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Quote:
Good choice! haha

>go in for charge pipes... Leave fully catless with straight pipes >_>

N54 into an e87, so yep, big project
Monkey funky! I'm definitely dropping by your place when I'm in SE QLD in a few months...
Appreciate 0