E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Can I say it? I love my Steptronic!!!

10-31-2005, 01:34 PM   #23
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor
Wouldn't you think that driving a manual would be more involving and less boring, and hence prevent you from nodding off at the wheel due to "fatigue levels"?

If you think this, then the 330i manual will not only kick the step's butt, but also hand it over.

Don't forget that the step is a compromise for convenience's sake, even though it is quite an excellent auto tranny, better than the previous one in the E46.

My cure for fatigue levels is eat sleep and regular exercise. Manual shifting just pisses me off more.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2005, 01:35 PM   #24
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatnog
I'd like to point out to all the manual 'snobs' out there bashing the Step that your beloved Manual has barely a 1/2 second edge over the automatic in 0-60 and accomplished by a professional driver.

Unless you've driven the Step, please don't bash it out of hand just because it is an automatic. This is my THIRD car with a 'clutchless manual', and the difference between the Steptronic and the other two is like night and day. On my previous cars it was a 'neat toy' but ultimately useless. In this BMW, it has a great response time, feels great and performs better than expected.
Right on!

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2005, 01:37 PM   #25
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado
Steptronic is the best auto gearbox I've ever tried... very impressive. After I test-drove both, I seriously contemplated it before buying but decided to go with manual in the end.

In my tests, however, I found up-shifting to be considerably slow for my taste. I didn't try downshifting, which StewtheBassman says is fast.

In the end, however, there shouldn't be any snobbery directed in either direction. We should drive what we enjoy, and we're getting near perfection in both versions.
I'm not saying people are bad for driving a manny, I'm just saying how delighted I am that my Step is so awesome!!

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2005, 02:59 PM   #26
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

In response to Ward's comment regarding twin-clutch based trannies like the SMG, I personally think SMG I is coming to an end. Why else was it last seen in the E46 coupes, only to disappear when the E90 came out and in fact, was initially offered for the E90? You can google up a horde of individuals suffering from SMG I defects while it's strange how the "better" SMG systems offered in the ///M and 5+ series have less problems. There is even suspicion that BMW will license Audi's DSG technology (which is technologically superior and less defective than BMW's SMG I).

SMG/DSG sounds way better than the automatics. Conceptionally, it's just a better technology for both performance and durability. I'd take it over automatic in a heartbeat.

I'd have to agree with the other steptronic advocates here, however. I guess there's just not enough time or traffic-uncluttered moments to really enjoy a manual transmission to offset the slight disadvantage the slush-box automatic hands its owners.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2005, 03:28 PM   #27
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
In response to Ward's comment regarding twin-clutch based trannies like the SMG, I personally think SMG I is coming to an end. Why else was it last seen in the E46 coupes, only to disappear when the E90 came out and in fact, was initially offered for the E90? You can google up a horde of individuals suffering from SMG I defects while it's strange how the "better" SMG systems offered in the ///M and 5+ series have less problems. There is even suspicion that BMW will license Audi's DSG technology (which is technologically superior and less defective than BMW's SMG I).

SMG/DSG sounds way better than the automatics. Conceptionally, it's just a better technology for both performance and durability. I'd take it over automatic in a heartbeat.

I'd have to agree with the other steptronic advocates here, however. I guess there's just not enough time or traffic-uncluttered moments to really enjoy a manual transmission to offset the slight disadvantage the slush-box automatic hands its owners.

Agreed on the SMG - more and more rumours out of Europe have BMW developping a dual clutch system similar to Audi's.

As for auto vs manual, this is a lifelong debate - I do agree that the BMW steptronic is a very good automatic. I think however that the manual affords a driver a greater integration as part of the driving system, increased level of control over the vehicle and, IMHO, greater satisfaction. And yes, while the margin of performance has shrunk - better performance at the limit than the automatic.

I hope that the dual clutch new SMG system comes out, could be the best of both worlds - certainly seems to work great on the Audi TT and A3s.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2005, 03:36 PM   #28
m5peeps
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

i think step is great-but i recently had a E60 530dse and i found the software hung on to the gears too long and when switching to manual mode the changes were delayed.I test drove the M5 recently with the 7 speed smg-FANTASTIC!This gearbox will appear on the forthcoming E92 M3 and may turn up in E90 335ti.I have to say I am back to manual after a long session with Bmw Steps-it is a really nice change1
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2005, 08:51 PM   #29
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Coming back from getting milk tonight (12kms round trip ), I had the window open as I turned into my driveway and I listened to the engine....and then I thought......the M3 is going to be a real Mother f&**er!!!!!

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2005, 08:54 PM   #30
ON325i
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

Garage List
2006 e90 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
Coming back from getting milk tonight (12kms round trip ), I had the window open as I turned into my driveway and I listened to the engine....and then I thought......the M3 is going to be a real Mother f&**er!!!!!
That is the exact reason I use to make good use of my steptronic, although for some reason, I can't find milk anywhere (at 3am..) so i keep driving further...and further... and.. he
      10-31-2005, 08:56 PM   #31
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 C55 AMG

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzi
If you seriously think you can outrace a manual transmission equipped car around a corner, you are delusional and need your head examined.

What makes you think that a auto transmission does not corner faster than a manual?
Sorry , you are the one who BS and has a head problem.
BMW 2006 330i E90 Jet Black/Black Leathers/Aluminium, Steptronic Active Steering; MTech Aero Kit Carbon Fibre Splitters/Diffuser. Bilstein PSS9 Coilover, Rays VOLK Racing RE30 Formula Limited Edition 18" Pirelli Rosso; Project Mu 355mm Forged 4pot Caliper. HID:Osram D1S 6000K, PIAA 6500K White Ring, Philips Diamond Vision HB4 5000K, PIAA H490/H491 Super Bright 6500K LED Interior Lights. Chrome S.Wheel Cover, Rear Windows Sunshades.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2005, 09:24 PM   #32
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntlaw
What makes you think that a auto transmission does not corner faster than a manual?
Sorry , you are the one who BS and has a head problem.
Ummm.... do you know what a torque converter is?

In short, it is a mechanical/fluid coupling that is needed to connect the engine to the transmission in an automatic. It is not 100% efficient and it is not instantaneous in response. Hence, when you take a corner fast or faster, it is more difficult to modulate the rear driving wheels when you gas it past the apex of the turn.

So, before you call someone names, please make sure you know what you're talking about.
2017 340i xDrive | Estoril | Black | Al | 8AT | M Package
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2005, 09:25 PM   #33
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Manual has its advantages, and same with Auto. You can't say auto is better than manual, nor manual is better than auto.

While I love my steptronic, I also find it considerably slow between shifts compare to manual. I currently own both manual and auto. Honestly, with my steptronic giving me enough fun, I don't 'crave' for manual at all.

At the end, auto is all about dealing with traffic. Whenever I see cars jerking forward and backward, or see them constantly shifting, I laugh. Then again, whenever I see autos in autocross, I laugh.

but hey, generalizing auto as "non-performer" is ignorant. F1 racing cars are autos. well, similar. Its coming. Coming real fast. the day when manual is no longer needed.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2005, 09:32 PM   #34
theclay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I am amazed how intense the arguments get over transmission type! Who cares? Buy the one you like.

IMO, manuals are more fun unless you are stuck in traffic. I live in L.A. so I usually am.

Stew started this thread to say how much he loves his step. I love mine too. I really didn't see the potential for arguments in this thread.
      10-31-2005, 10:09 PM   #35
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
Coming back from getting milk tonight (12kms round trip
Me, I'd make it AT LEAST a 20km round trip, just because - any excuse will do as we are in the best 3 series and the drive.....well, we all know how wonderful that is Steptronic or manual.

Enjoy!!
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2005, 10:48 PM   #36
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

hey so this guy like his auto

friggin A people

quit being asses

different tranny's for different situations, although the auto would never be my personal choice. Some people have enough trouble pointing the car in the right direction, much less selecting their own gears (my sister for example)
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2005, 11:24 PM   #37
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
the Steptronic is an incredible transmission. It complements the fine engine very well. Probably one of the best mass produced transmissions available.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 03:02 AM   #38
ON325i
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

Garage List
2006 e90 325i  [0.00]
hehe, i get so many flames from my own friends saying i'm not a real driver by not getting the manual transmission when i order my 325i. They are also the ones complaining cramps from everyday 2 hours commute driving their manual trannys. They are also the ones now admiring and saying they will get the whatever-tronic available in their next car after having a ride with me because of the practicality+leisure when it is demanded.

it really boils down to what u need it for (most of the time).
      11-01-2005, 03:15 AM   #39
Xens
Eh
Rep
Drives: Is Turbo'd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I used to drive an auto but always wanted a manual, so I carefully reviewed all the consequences of getting a manual as daily driver and in the end decided that I'll be able to live with it just fine. I didn't get manual for 0-60 time or racing purposes, I got it because I really love to drive so I wanted more driver involvement.

I'm glad to say that after almost two months of ownership and driving in traffic almost every day, I have no regrets and am not missing an automatic. But I see no reason why manual drivers should "look down" upon step drivers, because realistically you won't be able to tell the difference in performance, unless you take it to the track. It's all about choice and what one wants. I don't like it when manual drivers complain about how tiring it is to drive in traffic - you made the decision, why not live up to it?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 03:35 AM   #40
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
It scares me when I drive an auto/step. It's almost as if having to close my eyes and have a navigator next to me tell me what to do. No matter how good the guy is, you lose control over something vital.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 03:52 AM   #41
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 C55 AMG

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by visor
Ummm.... do you know what a torque converter is?

In short, it is a mechanical/fluid coupling that is needed to connect the engine to the transmission in an automatic. It is not 100% efficient and it is not instantaneous in response. Hence, when you take a corner fast or faster, it is more difficult to modulate the rear driving wheels when you gas it past the apex of the turn.

So, before you call someone names, please make sure you know what you're talking about.
Yes. I know what a torque converter is. Why not you tell us how many auto transmission E90s in the cornering you have killed with your great theory copied from magazines.
BMW 2006 330i E90 Jet Black/Black Leathers/Aluminium, Steptronic Active Steering; MTech Aero Kit Carbon Fibre Splitters/Diffuser. Bilstein PSS9 Coilover, Rays VOLK Racing RE30 Formula Limited Edition 18" Pirelli Rosso; Project Mu 355mm Forged 4pot Caliper. HID:Osram D1S 6000K, PIAA 6500K White Ring, Philips Diamond Vision HB4 5000K, PIAA H490/H491 Super Bright 6500K LED Interior Lights. Chrome S.Wheel Cover, Rear Windows Sunshades.

Last edited by cntlaw; 11-01-2005 at 06:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 04:00 AM   #42
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by timzerofive
It scares me when I drive an auto/step. It's almost as if having to close my eyes and have a navigator next to me tell me what to do. No matter how good the guy is, you lose control over something vital.

Something vital like what? Do you have trouble driving auto transmission?
Do you go to track everyday? Do you daily autocross?

What kind of "control" does it really involve and every day commute? I mean seriously, Do you really need to shift gear everytime to gain "complete" control on public road? Its not like shifting from 5th to 3rd to pass somebody is such a big deal. You can do the same performance with step, move the lever, click-click and there you go.

Manual owners always bragging about "I wanted complete control!" is like saying you don't want to take the elevator because you don't feel like you are in control, so you'll take the stairs. And I wouldn't think you would want to do that everyday if your office is located in 40th floor. Same basic theory applies to automatic. While you might lose some "control" for few occasions where you might really need that extra "control"(street racing, track/autocross/drag, just spirited drive), its not really necessary for most driving experiences out there.

I do give respect to those manual owners who are "true enthuasist" drivers though. They want every little control that they can achieve from the vehicle even for every day driving, because every minute of driving counts for them. These people are RARE. Most people drive manual because it seems like they are "THE MAN" for shifting around, or just don't want to be bored(auto could be really boring compared to manual in non-traffic conditions) and crave some more fun. Then again, there is nothing wrong with that.

I own both manual and auto, and really, I despite manual owners over-rating manual, and samething applies to auto owners who thinks its the most perfect transmission in the world.

oh btw, I got to drove 2005 525i 6spd. It was VERY fun to drive until I found out that there was an accident 2 miles ahead and got stuck in traffic. I felt just as stupid as those honda ricers around me, busy shifting every second in their green/purple civic hatchbacks trying to look like a racer. I missed my step where I was enjoying cup of starbucks white chocolate mocha with my right hand. Later that evening when traffic hours came, I only had 2 manual vehicles to choose from in my garage. so I decided to call my girlfriend and took her 1997 auto altima beater during traffic hours.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :

Last edited by lux.sh; 11-01-2005 at 04:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 05:19 AM   #43
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
hey so this guy like his auto

friggin A people

quit being asses

different tranny's for different situations, although the auto would never be my personal choice. Some people have enough trouble pointing the car in the right direction, much less selecting their own gears (my sister for example)
Hmmm... Are you sure you did any better with the last sentence than the others you're criticizing?
      11-01-2005, 05:22 AM   #44
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado
Hmmm... Are you sure you did any better with the last comments than the others you're criticizing?
well said silverado. Good to see there are still 6spd owners with right judgement.
I thought all 6spd owners were going to side him.

when are we ever going to get along...

Appreciate 0