BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #67
radorotrex
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Cabrio / 08 M3 Sedan

So what's the update on this install video? I'm rocking my icarbon lip but the whole center portion of my lip has a 1/2" gap
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #68
dude9009
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i R.I.P.

same here +1
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 02:22 PM   #69
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Giving it another shot, this time with 3M tape brought in from the US. I stuck the center on first, and as I was working on the ends the center pulled away from the bumper almost instantly. I have it as close as I can get it to the bumper, pretty sure the tape is in full contact with the bumper. I'm going to let the car sit for 24 hours, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #70
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCARBON DESIGN View Post
We finally got a car to do the video, so that will be up soon.
I think when we finalize the video on a stock 135i it will clear a lot of things up.

This was posted on 7/26/10. I guess one needs to define terms, such as what "soon" means.

In relation to the expected life of our sun, soon could be 100 years.
      09-06-2010, 06:51 PM   #71
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Honestly, if something like this was THAT much of a bitch to install with that little reliability, would def not be on my list of cosmetic mods
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 11:19 PM   #72
micha3l
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

I had my car in at a bodyshop today getting a scratch on a brake caliper fixed, and they refused to fit this lip as it wouldnt fit.

Took it to another shop to get a quote, and they also refused as it wouldn't fit correctly.

Would love to see this video to show how to do it correctly?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #73
Chris@iCARBON
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Honda

Guys,

The lip needs to be installed in the middle first, clamps or tape used to apply pressure upward and hold the middle in place, and then the sides are installed. That is how the middle stays on flush. Furthermore, please remember the middle sits under the “outer lip” of the front bumper. I’ve attached some pics for reference.

We also advise to use thicker Automotive 3M tape (60 or 90mm) or if you really wanted to some sort of adhesive as almost all other lips/pieces including OEM ones advise. Although, we’ve had many successful installs without any additional use of tape or adhesion other than what is on the piece.

Out of the 150 or so lips in circulation right now, only a very select few have had issues being installed, and all of them were self installs (not professionally installed) until Michael’s above. It’s very possible that the shops have not had experience doing this kind of install, don’t like to do this sort of thing, or some other variables unknown. We have had many successful installs on LHD cars, RHD cars, cars in Europe, Asia, Australia, Canada, US, the works, which also leads us to believe that it’s not an international thing, a RHD thing, or anything in between.

Since a very small percentage of people have had issues, this leads us to believe it’s an issue with the way they are being installed, because we have installed plenty, as have several VERY-well recognized shops that are dealers for our products, and all of them have raved about build quality, ease of installation and fitment, specifically when compared to other products (including ones costing twice more).

The nature of our design is a little bit complicated to install because it doesn’t hide or create new lines, but rather hugs and accentuates already existing ones, which is hard to do. If we made a bulkier design that covered more, installation would be a cinch and it would just kind of plop over the bumper – but we didn’t want that. We wanted something sleek and beautiful, and if it requires a little know how to get perfect, that’s something we’re willing to live with.

An installation guide and video is VERY overdue, mainly due to the fact we need a local car that has no mods done to the front end. We’ve had one lined up forever, but the guy hasn’t been able to stop by and our car is always taken apart in pieces. I guess we’re just going to have to do it on our car as a guideline to show people what to do and how to do it. We will film it tomorrow just to have something to give you guys, the iPhone 4 camera is pretty damn good and will have to do just to get something up now.

If you guys show photos of the attempted install, I’d love to take a look and show you were it went wrong – I can assure you it’s an installation problem when only a very small percentage of people have had issues during installation. It’s very hard for us to account for all sorts of variables like intercoolers, bumpers being taken off/on, being hit, misaligned, or banged up, etc.

I think this problem would be fixed with including an installation menu in every box – we’re going to start doing that. Please let me know and let’s get this figured out.

Pics attached for reference:

09-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #74
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Ok, I took the painter's tape off today, and the center seems to be sticking well. I can see only 2 very small areas in the center where the tape is starting to pull off the bumper, but a little press with my hand and it sticks back on. I did 90mph on the autobahn and it lived, although I dont feel it could take 90+ too many more times though.

However, once again this install did NOT go perfectly. The center (the old problem area) seems to be resolved, however now the problem area is the driver's side. The area of the lip that meets up with the wheel well isnt sitting flush at all. There is a good 1/2 inch gap, I even had to add 3M tape to the front leading edge to get that to stick at all. This gap won't be an issue with the lip falling off, but its isnt exactly pleasing to the eye.

I'm going to talk to Andy directly, show him some pics and see what he says. I'm not exactly thrilled with the way this lip is fitting this time (main difference now is the use of 3M tape instead of the German stuff here), but the fit is a little better. Still not perfect.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #75
radorotrex
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Sylon

Any update on your lip fitment?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 02:20 AM   #76
djpeetur
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

this lip is doomed. by pushing the fangs in it makes the center wavy and and not touch the center part of bumper. im just gonna run with a gap in the center. thug life
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #77
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
I also have elected to live with my gap in the center, because the upper right and left sides are "hellaflush". You don't really see the gap anyway unless you are right on top of the lip on the ground.

I do also now see that my 3m Adhesive installed almost a year ago is now started to pull away slightly on the driver side right after the center.
      03-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #78
radorotrex
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I have the same problem as you. The ends of my lip line up perfectly but the center has pulled away but I have a 1/2" gap and it is very noticable. I have reviewed iCarbons install video and can't see that I did anything different. I know that if the center of the lip is flush the ends will protrude past the bumper. Not sure what to do anymore.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #79
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

Just installed my second iCarbon lip after cracking my first one on a curb a month ago. I don't know if they made an adjustment to the design but this one did not pinch in the center like the first one. I followed the tips in their install video, leaving the tape pre-peeled and sticking out. The end result is much better than my first.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #80
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
That looks promising Ulrichd, hopefully the tape will hold.

I never really did a good job installing mine. I asked Topspeed to reinstall it for me since their 135 also has the same lip and theirs fits great. Topspeed never got around to it so I'm like a few others above and just running with a tiny gap in the center. It's barely noticeable until a piece of trash or something gets stuck in it. I'm planning to put three screws in it sometime soon. I figure I might could get a reinstall to work, but for sure the screw will work. Modding is a lot of work..lol.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #81
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I put in a few extra screws as well. I have this fear of running over my own lip if the tape ever lets go.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 07:33 PM   #82
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Almost forgot. I did 3 layers of tape on the side pieces to fill out the hollow area and get good contact with the bumper faces.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #83
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
See thats what keeps me from doing any front end mods like that, unless theyre made for the bumper and bolted on, no fuckin way. With wind pressure and speed against it and things flying thru the air catching in it possibly, etc. No damn way Id install something on the front end thats held on even partially by tape.

The carbon lips look alright but its just nowhere near nuff for me to go thru the work, money and stress of it coming off or cracking, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #84
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
See thats what keeps me from doing any front end mods like that, unless theyre made for the bumper and bolted on, no fuckin way. With wind pressure and speed against it and things flying thru the air catching in it possibly, etc. No damn way Id install something on the front end thats held on even partially by tape.

The carbon lips look alright but its just nowhere near nuff for me to go thru the work, money and stress of it coming off or cracking, etc.
Just FYI, it took me over an hour to get the old one off. The 3M heavy duty tape holds on so tight it's almost impossible to get off. The screws I added are simply for my peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 06:00 AM   #85
djpeetur
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

So a little trick I did. I had tape on the center that I didn't untape. So I ran with a center gap for a week. But I use painter tape to hold up the center piece hoping that the gap will be very narrow instead of wide. So yesterday I took painter tap off the center and I was moving up and it would touch the front bumper. So the 3m tape I didn't untape came in to play. I took the tape off the center and pushed it to the bumper and then used painter tape to hold it there. I'm gonna leave on for a week to let it form and I tape
The fangs too in case they pop out. Lip still sucks but yea
Appreciate 0