BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-27-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
Gazmoses
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 123D M-Sport Coupe

Electric vs manual seats

Hi guys

This my first post, so first I'd like to say thanks to everyone for such a great forum. The amount of information available is sensational.

Hoping to place an order soon, because if I don't, I'm likely to explode... either that, or the missus will probably kill me, because she is sick of me pointing out every 1er that drives past.

Was initially looking at a whole bunch of options, although will probably keep it simple, just down to the sunroof. The only other option I can't decide on, is whether to go for electric seats. There is a considerable height difference between Miss G and myself, and unfortunately I have to share... so we'll adjust seats everytime we switch... effectively weekdays to weekends. Considering this annoys me in our current car, I figure I'd be stupid to not go electric...

Although... this would likely mean ordering a brand new 1er, which isn't a bad thing, it's just that the savings of a demo model may be too tempting to pass up. (Or is considering a demo just plain blasphemous)

Any thoughts? Anyone had reliability issues with electric seats?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Welcome to the forum Gazmoses. Personally I can give or take electric seats. My wife and I share our other cars (not my 1er though as she can't drive manuals - so it is ironic that it has electric seats) and we have no hassles moving the seats back and forth manually.

Manual seats are quicker to move as well, the main thing you would miss out on is the memorised mirror positions.

So far the elec seats have been reliable, but I wouldn't put it pass the BMW gremlins...

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
BigBoss168
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe manual

Aren't electric seats standard spec on the 1-series coupe? They were on mine.

In any case, personally I would prefer not to have electric seats - on a performance car like the 135i every additional kg is unwelcome in my book, and electric motors weigh a LOT. Couldn't delete them from my spec though (and I did ask).
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 07:19 AM   #4
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

I personally prefer manual seats because it is faster to move just like d3syd said, plus it is less weight and less point of failure in overall car. When I ordered my car, it was additional unless premium pkg. 2011s might be different because of Value pkg.
      04-27-2010, 08:03 AM   #5
BigBoss168
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evice View Post
I personally prefer manual seats because it is faster to move just like d3syd said, plus it is less weight and less point of failure in overall car. When I ordered my car, it was additional unless premium pkg. 2011s might be different because of Value pkg.
Umm, this is the Australia forum and our car spec is quite different to that in the US...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 08:10 AM   #6
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

The big advantage to the power seats is the driver's seat memory. If a second person occasionally drives the car, it's easy to get the seat back to where you wanted it. I was borderline on the option, but my wife insisted on it, and in retrospect, she was right. I hate driving her car now, because I always have to fiddle with the seat to get it to where I find it comfortable.

The disadvantage (other than weight, etc.) may be that when people are getting in and out of the back seat, it is probably faster to slide the seat forward manually than it is to use the power seat to move it forward.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 08:20 AM   #7
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by taipan168 View Post
Aren't electric seats standard spec on the 1-series coupe? They were on mine.

In any case, personally I would prefer not to have electric seats - on a performance car like the 135i every additional kg is unwelcome in my book, and electric motors weigh a LOT. Couldn't delete them from my spec though (and I did ask).
You can change them to the performance
----

Welcome to the forum
Electric seats I am pretty sure it's only standard on the 135i. I can count how many times I have driven my wife's car, and it's because it doesn't have electric seats. Having said that, it is definitely quicker with the manual seats go back and forth but you can never get the fine adjustments of the electric.

I am pretty sure the seat is key specific as well, so you don't have to adjust anything apart from the rear view mirror.

However, if you are going to spend that much on the electric seat, I would pick other options instead like the sport seats if it's not standard on the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 08:23 AM   #8
~sarah~
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135  [10.00]
I love the electric seats because i never have to fiddle with the seats to find the right position - i just press the button or open the car with my key and they go straight to my position.

But my hubby hates it!!!!!!!!! He thinks that they take to long to move to his position and also thinks they add so much weight to the car. lol
But at the end of the day there is no way i could tell the diffrence between driving a manual seat one and an electric seat one. I guess unless you are planning to do some serious track days then the weight might be somethin you take into consideration.
      04-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BSM 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazmoses View Post
Hi guys
... The only other option I can't decide on, is whether to go for electric seats. There is a considerable height difference between Miss G and myself, and unfortunately I have to share...
I went with manual seats for a number of reasons, weight and to lessen any potential electrical reliability issues (although the manual sports seats have electric adjustment for bolsters), but no one else drives my One, so I don't have to fiddle with the seats. If you have to share with another driver, then electric seats should considerably lessen the hassle of changing seat positions, which likely will aid marital bliss.

pge
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
I've sat in a mates 120i 'vert and with the manual seats and prefer my electric sports seats every time they're more comfortable IMO. My 2c.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #11
spellbmw
Feuertrunken
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY10 135i 6MT

I went with the electric seats and like them very much due to the memory settings; whenever a passenger gets in/out I just hit the memory button. I also found that the two memory buttons can manually control the passenger side mirror in case I wish to tilt it down manually.
      04-27-2010, 06:23 PM   #12
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

get electric seats, have 1 setting for yourself, have the 2nd second setting for your wife, just hit the button when you get in, you'd be nuts not to do it, also have your own keys which will adjust the mirrors and other things. tell your wife its worth it as it could save the marriage.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #13
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

My wife and I both have manual seats in our cars. We both could have ordered them with power seats but we rarely drive each other's car. Actually, she never drives mine as it is a stick and I only drive her car a couple of times a year. We do not miss having power seats at all in our cars.

But I agree that if you are going to be frequently sharing a car with your wife, then power seats are certainly worth the money just for the memory setting alone. Having to readjust your seat to just the right spot is always a royal pain.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 06:36 PM   #14
Gazmoses
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 123D M-Sport Coupe

Thanks for all the replies! I think electric may be the way to go, given the constant switching.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #15
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
I'd also recommend electric, since the manual seats in the 1er have like 6 different adjustments and it's a PITA to get them right again after someone else uses the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #16
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 120D M Manual

If I was swapping drivers regularly I'd get the memory seats, as someone else has said, with so many adjustments it takes a lot of stuffing around to get the seat position right. I'd also go for the adjustable lumbar support. I ended up buying the switch, pump, and lumbar pads from a wrecker in the US and retrofitting them because I was finding the standard seats so horrendously uncomfortable. I still find it extremely difficult to get a good seating position.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 12:44 AM   #17
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by taipan168 View Post
Umm, this is the Australia forum and our car spec is quite different to that in the US...
Manual seats are different in Aussie?
      04-28-2010, 01:55 AM   #18
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

we have to unbolt them, drill holes and bolt back into place, we get ripped off
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 04:54 AM   #19
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chylld View Post
I'd also recommend electric, since the manual seats in the 1er have like 6 different adjustments and it's a PITA to get them right again after someone else uses the car.
The key here is to not let someone else use the car
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 05:16 AM   #20
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

If it's a weekday/weekend thing, electric seats are definitely a worthy consideration. Unlock the door with your key, and everything will slide back into position.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 08:17 AM   #21
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
I am quite fussy about my driving position and it takes me ages to get the right setting. So when you lend the car to someone its a pain to get the right setting back again without electric memory seats.

However I do find that the electric seats in the 1 do not adjust low enough. I found that the manual seats could go lower and therefore giving me a bit more headroom.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #22
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
I am quite fussy about my driving position and it takes me ages to get the right setting. So when you lend the car to someone its a pain to get the right setting back again without electric memory seats.

However I do find that the electric seats in the 1 do not adjust low enough. I found that the manual seats could go lower and therefore giving me a bit more headroom.
That's why I chose the manual seats and no sunroof. I needed the headroom.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0