BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-05-2012, 02:00 AM   #23
jo
vrooooomba
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 GTI, '08 135i coupe (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
So... did you get your car fixed?
got it towed to the dealer on friday, they didn't do the repair by the end of the day, so i expect it back tomorrow (monday).
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:07 AM   #24
jo
vrooooomba
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 GTI, '08 135i coupe (RIP)

Quote:
from Turner's website...

...How to avoid a water pump failure in the future? Replacing the water pump as part of a regular interval schedule will ensure you always have a functioning pump in place. Since this technology is relatively new for BMW, therefore the lifecycle of the pump isn't yet known, we have been recommending replacement every 80-100k miles. This package of OE/OEM parts covers everything with Original BMW coolant offered to finish off the job. A proper bleeding procedure must be followed with the new electric pump.

$570 for Turner's electric waterpump and thermostat kit...

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-16...-e60-535i.aspx
i read that blurb too on turner's website. but what i want to know is if they're referring to their own (i assume) aftermarket pump/thermostat, or BMW pump/thermostats in general? given how much the water pumps fail before 80k (see http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...php?p=12936362), my guess would be the former rather than the latter....
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 05:56 AM   #25
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

^^Yea... Jo... that is just Turner's own recommendation NOT bmw's. As far as I know BMW has never said when to replace a waterpump or thermostat.

Once you get up in the ~80K miles range... I think you are living on borrowed time - in any BMW! I personally would not think our electric water pumps would fail early at 60K miles or even sooner (~40K) - like a few people here have reported.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #26
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I found an interesting waterpump thread on the e90 forum... it is for the NA N52 engines though...

How many miles have you logged, and have you replaced your water pump yet?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725313
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #27
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
No it does not! Your car is over heating(!) bc that is what that yellow cooling icon means! Have your car towed to a dealer or indi - do not drive it! You most likely need a water pump and thermostat. Dan @United and Jason @Tischer both sell a kit for about $700. I think at the dealer this is a $1,300 repair. You might see IF it is covered under the powertrain warranty. ?

You can have a low oil temp and have a high water temperature. Since we do not have a water temp gauge BMW gave us these warning(idiot) lights.

And yea... why is your TPMS light on too?
Hey Dack,

you are probably correct.. It appears to be overheating / overheated..

As far as what you refer to as 'Power train" warranty....BMW only has one original Warranty in the USA.. 4 yr 50 k PERIOD this is what came with your every US spec car.

The Only additional BMW warranty that a car MAY have is if it was
CPO'D or the custmer purchased an ESP plan

There is no "Powertrain" warranty like Hundai that cover the Engine and trans till 100k or something silly like that..

Just wanted to clear that up..
Regards,