BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-18-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
Lynniz
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

Coupe vs. Convertible

Hi all, just wondering how many of you owned a convertible 135? How is it compared to the coupe? Thinking about getting a convertible, but want to get more advices on it.

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
bbbradley
Resident Alien
Rep
Drives: A4 for now, Miata for fun!

From what I've seen either you are a convertible lover or not.

Owning a convertible does mean trade-offs, but also come with some great benefits. IMO, there is nothing better than top-down driving, for the last ~10 years my (now) wife and I take a fall foliage trip that features hundreds of top-down miles. The rule for the weekend - if its not raining the top is down. She brings a blanket to hunker under occasionally. Having nothing above your head is just a great feeling, I love cool weather top down and the heater cranking.

Downsides - less security, slashing a top is very easy to do. I leave nothing of value in my car, and in the 10 years I've owned it have never locked it. The locks might not have ever worked from the factory for all I know. Typically a convertible has worse rear visibility as well as over the shoulder for lane changes...with the top up only. They will likely be noisier and feel more flexy than a tin-top, some also sacrifice trunk space for the top stowage.

I bought the Miata truly on a whim, and am now a "always own a convertible" person. Some people buy them and can't stand the wind noise and the open feeling, I think there is nothing better than blasting through the back roads with the top down.

I wouldn't buy a 1 convertible personally as the convertible is my toy car. The coupe is my preference, but it would complement another convertible in the stable.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Hi, I’m one of the few who has owned both cars – coupe first for 2 years and now a convertible for the last 6 months (11k miles).

There are trade off’s, but not many. Key one for me is the increased weight which I offset with JB+. There is also increased flex which you only really notice on very bumpy roads – on ‘normal’ roads you struggle to notice unless you drive really hard.

Overall the key benefit to me is dropping the roof, not only does the car look stunning with the roof down it sounds amazing – especially with the BMWP exhaust!!

Which do I prefer…. That’s a hard one! Sometimes I want my coupe back and sometimes I prefer the convertible.

Boot space is not really an issue, in fact the boot space is fantastic when compared to the 3 series vert or the Z4 – both of which are virtually useless with the roof down. The 1er is great, even with the roof down I can easily fit in my golf clubs (with driver). In fact, I can get two sets in, but do need to take the driver out of the top set.

It’s surprisingly quiet with the roof up too, the roof is fantastic and has 3 layers. I did upgrade to the HK stereo to offset any additional noise from the canvas roof, but I have not really noticed any significant increase in noise. Maybe I’m used to it as I came from two single layered roofed S2000’s!

Overall I love my car, but there are some restrictions, such as no bike rack option and no ability to drop the rear seats which does reduce practicality.

For $$$$ for car it’s fantastic, I really like the Z4 35i but for the money it’s a joke really. The 135i is great value for money.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
spyderx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

It's a tough choice! I lease a 135 convertible and have accepted it's compromises, I think. I've test driven several 135 coupes and they felt like very different cars that happens to resemble its convertible sibling. Coupes are super rigid in structure and felt much faster without the extra 250 pounds.

I would test drive both as much as possible and take your time. If you do decide on a convertible though I would consider other makes as well like a Miata. Like the previous response suggets I think the biggest benefit of a vert is the sensation from open top driving.

My reason for a 135 vert was that I just didn't find many decent choices out there in terms of size, price, power... and BMW's attractive leasing terms helped greatly in sealing the deal... GL
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
Lynniz
Rep

Thx for all of the advices. I will do some test drives to decide.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
228iconvert
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i x drive convert

It is about what you want BUT I have a coupe and my friend has a convertible. There are good and bad to both. For me even though I love Convertibles I have two kids with car seats and since the convertible has a smaller back seat I could not get two car seats back there. So I learned to live to like the coupe and the DCT trans helps me forget the roof!
      11-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
bbbradley
Resident Alien
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB135i View Post
I have two kids with car seats and since the convertible has a smaller back seat I could not get two car seats back there.
Two car seats in the back of the 1? Pics please! Need some persuasive evidence.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
leftyone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135 convertible

There is nothing quite like owning a convertible.
great feeling to cruise with the top down. I believe it's more of a personality trait then a practicle preference.

I personally feel completely comfortable with my convertibles utility. It is no real compromise for me.

No doubt the car has a considerable amount of twist. You get used to it though.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #9
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

My convertible is a 128i. The drawbacks are few and have been mentioned except for one which may or may not apply. BMWCCA driving events exclude convertibles. Apparently there are mechanical malfunctions sometimes and at high speed the instructors are not comfortable with convertibles in the very small possibility of a rollover. I do autocrosses in my 128i convertible but cannot do driving events (high speed with an instructor at a race track).

I've driven a 135i couple, I drove one on the BMW Performance Center track when I took performance center delivery. It is faster but not to my seat of the pants observation dramatically so. Both are very smooth so you almost have to watch the speedometer to get a good indication of how fast you are going. I think my 128i vert is quick, a 135i would be more so.

For most driving, anything not on a race track, the added weight of the convertible should be no issue, especially with the N54 engine. There is a little more flex but driving topless is fun at any speed and a major advantage.

In case you are wondering, you can drive with the top down into the upper 30s or low 40s pretty comfortably due to the special mode in the bimmer. It blows warm air out the vents to keep your hands on the steering wheel and upper body warm. I can also talk on a speaker phone on the highway with the top down - as long as there is no big truck nearby. Top up it is very much like a coupe. Top down is a whole additional very pleasant experience. Plan on the windscreen for your female passengers, however. It's about $400 but worth it.

Jim
      11-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Coupe or convertible? If you even have to ask, you're probably not a convertible guy!
      11-18-2010, 03:11 PM   #11
bbbradley
Resident Alien
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
Coupe or convertible? If you even have to ask, you're probably not a convertible guy!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #12
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
I'm a HUGE fan of convertibles. My last car was a S2000 that I loved driving with the top down. That being said... I really believe the BEST convertibles were designed to be convertibles from the ground up (S2000, Miata, Z4, SLK, etc.). I don't think I'd ever consider a car that comes in coupe OR convertible form, as the coupe form is usually much more refined, precise, nimble, etc., and the convertible form is the poorer performing and more expensive progeny of the coupe (basically an afterthought).
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #13
mac128ic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

I was 'thinking' about 'a' convertible for a very long time and never got it as it was either expensive or drivability during winter.. etc..
But at the end.. I got 128i convertible. It is definitly worth it and every time I am in the car, it makes me feel great. Top down is the great experience, at highway speeds in a nice warm weather, it is wonderful. In winter at temparatures close to 40's I stil drive it with top closed. I am not missing a coupe.

128i convertible with 6MT is amazing whether it is warm or cold. (I am not sure about the snow though, but it is the same for coupe or convertible).

I love this car and the power.

If you want convertible, you should get it.

IMHO
Past: 2011 Jet Black 128i Convertible 6MT/HK
2004 X3 2.5
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 03:38 PM   #14
Lynniz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
For most driving, anything not on a race track, the added weight of the convertible should be no issue, especially with the N54 engine. There is a little more flex but driving topless is fun

In case you are wondering, you can drive with the top down into the upper 30s or low 40s pretty comfortably due to the special mode in the bimmer. It blows warm air out the vents to keep your hands on the steering wheel and upper body warm. I can also talk on a speaker phone on the highway with the top down - as long as there is no big truck nearby. Top up it is very much like a coupe. Top down is a whole additional very pleasant experience. Plan on the windscreen for your female passengers, however. It's about $400 but worth it.

Jim
Wow, nice to know that you can still drive with the top down in those temperatures. Now you got me debating even more. Thx a lot!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 04:45 PM   #15
mke135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Cabrio

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
This is my first convertible (bought used with low miles), and just have to point out one more benefit: Chicks dig it!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 01:32 AM   #16
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Without a doubt it was to be a convertible for me. I wanted a fun and fast car for the weekend and the 135 vert fitted the bill perfectly. I have 3 other bmws but because this car is so much fun it is now my daily drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 03:08 AM   #17
SmilesAndGiggles
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:

Jim
Meh, check out windblox. I got mine for like, $130 and it works a lot better than the OEM one I had before. I wouldn't pay $400 for one, especially since WB offers a lifetime warranty. Can't beat that for $130.... Just one idea..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 04:51 AM   #18
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilesAndGiggles View Post
Meh, check out windblox. I got mine for like, $130 and it works a lot better than the OEM one I had before. I wouldn't pay $400 for one, especially since WB offers a lifetime warranty. Can't beat that for $130.... Just one idea..
With all due respect, . Might be ok for your 2-seater Z4, but looks pretty crummy on the 1er. And it looks like both seats need to be in the same position for that thing to work. By the way, I love how their website "appropriated" the image of the Staples "Easy" button.

But the OEM piece (yeah, way overpriced) is great. Works like a charm. Cuts about 75% of the wind whipping your face. I haven't had my car long enough to test it on a really cold day, but I'm sure it's gonna make cold weather top-down driving a lot of fun.
      11-19-2010, 06:41 AM   #19
bbbradley
Resident Alien
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynniz View Post
Wow, nice to know that you can still drive with the top down in those temperatures. Now you got me debating even more. Thx a lot!!!
Cool weather top-down driving is my favorite! I would take a 30* F drive over a 100* F drive any day! Turn the heat up, aim the vents at your hands and enjoy the cool air all around you.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 06:56 AM   #20
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I agree about the heat with the top down. I occasionally do it but the AC seems much less effective top down than the heater is. So to be comfortable I have to put the windscreen down (very simple and can be done while driving) and roll the windows down if I am on the highway (normally they are down if the top is down except on the highway). This makes the car noisy and makes it not as much fun. And I still sweat.

My only stipulation on top down cool weather driving is that it be sunny. For some reason, if it is cloudy or dark, it just is not as much fun. If it is sunny, even if it's upper 30s, it is fun to me to drop the top.

What I don't get is the hard top convertibles. I kind of thought I wanted one when I started looking. It seems like you would get he best of both types. But it really seems more like you get a convertible with major issues in trunk space and you get a hard top with at least potential leakage locations and mechanical complexity. My dentists wife has one he says she has never put down. Soft tops can last a really long time and are not that huge an issue to replace if you ever have to.

I think most people who think they do not like convertibles have never owned one. Most people who try one want to continue to have one. My logic was I'd rather spend ~$5,000 to get a convertible than roughly the same amount of money for more power than I can normally use. For example, I had fun with a Tahoe just yesterday at a stoplight. The road we were on narrowed to two lanes and the driver obviously was planning to blast away from the light so he/she could be in the lead when we hit the 2 lane. Ususally I just let them and save the gas. This time, I decided I didn't want to let him/her. ~5,000 rpm in first into second and the Tahoe gave up. 128i is enough for me (but I am not criticizing those who want the 135i - more power to you!).

Jim
      11-19-2010, 07:43 AM   #21
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep

Quote:
128i is enough for me (but I am not criticizing those who want the 135i - more power to you!).

Jim
Or, get the 135 AND the vert - problem solved!
      11-19-2010, 07:49 AM   #22
bbbradley
Resident Alien
Rep

Quote:
But it really seems more like you get a convertible with major issues in trunk space
Not if the hardtop is well designed! MX5 power hard top has no difference in trunk space hard or soft top.
Appreciate 0