07-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #23
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
Do they do anything about the size of the opening where the snorkel meets the scoops in the front of the engine bay? I have to imagine this is where the air flow is restricted. The two openings are about 1"x3", and the air needs to make a 90* turn before it enters the snorkel. Would love to know if they found a solution. Thanks.
Shelby came up with the perfect solution in 1968.

Yes I'm serious and if it didn't look so ridiculous on a BMW I'd do it. Maybe a set of NASA induction scoops are in order

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #24
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Shelby came up with the perfect solution in 1968.

Yes I'm serious and if it didn't look so ridiculous on a BMW I'd do it. Maybe a set of NASA induction scoops are in order
I'd be lying if I said that thought hadn't crossed my mind. Even thought of installing a scoop on the bottom of the plastic belly pan. Just can't figure out a way to route the plumbing up to the intake.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 01:06 AM   #25
BJ1M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M coupe AW

i tried to get more picture there to let you guys know about the structure. I think the the GrurppeM CIA is under certain premise to compare with OEM one. the key benefits are larger flow of air and won't suck heat from engine bay. I am living the city the temp will increase to 40'C at summer. So cool air is very important. If i back to Toronto, i'd go for AFE2 CIA. However, after the change i notice clear increase on power and torque. Althought it may not be very significent but clear response is good enough to me.
      07-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #26
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Was that on a dyno or was it something you simply felt? Forgive me for never trusting butt dynos when I'm spending 2 grand

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #27
BJ1M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M coupe AW

Quote:
Was that on a dyno or was it something you simply felt? Forgive me for never trusting butt dynos when I'm spending 2 grand
u know why i bought 1M here? all car is 2 times more expensive than US. my 1M cost more than 100grand here. but it is the most close priced to US market. Similiar to 1M, a X5 costs 150grand here. so 2grand is a OK match for 1M.

they stopped the quota policy which can bring one car from NA without extra tax last year.
      07-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #28
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

In theory a CAI will have a little more impact on a car that has a FMIC compare to a dual cone. I am certainly looking at the GruppeM as well, but I am not convinced it is better than the aFe2. It certainly looks better and it might flow better, but the question is how the K&N filter stacks up to the aFe's? Most people rate aFe's filter better than the K&N. I would seriously think about the GruppeM if it could use the aFe filter.

After all, CAI only gives about 8 degree difference, so you are looking at <3% of performance gain max over a dual cone without calculating insufficiencies. GruppeM is like Akra, there are options which cost 1/4 of it that do almost the same job. You are just paying for bling. I would most likely do the Akra plus Gruppe. Just like China, the 1M is 115k in Australia, 2k is small in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #29
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Get a drop in filter and remove the seal at the back of the engine bay that seals against the hood, the increased airflow will drop underhood temperatures and its free....IMHO
      07-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #30
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
How is the grouppe m intake bette than OEM though?
Engine bay art....
Not to cheapen any aspect of the piece, but holy crap it is beautiful!!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 03:49 AM   #31
E36325is
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 1M coupe

Just got mine installed.... loving the effect, much sharper throttle response from idle and emits a deep rumble at 3k rpm and up. and at least a 10C drop in intake air temp according to the P3 gauge is not bad.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 04:27 AM   #32
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Irresistible !
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 05:33 AM   #33
luial
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1///M, e46 M3, e30 320is ///M3

How much does it cost in HK and where to get it?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #34
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
Get a drop in filter and remove the seal at the back of the engine bay that seals against the hood, the increased airflow will drop underhood temperatures and its free....IMHO
I am going to install a aFe Pro Dry S air filter together with ER charge pipe very soon and will experiment sometime if the filter will do anything good and/or noticeable. Was checking threads on relevant subjects and just noticed your quoted comment. Before I go under the hood, could you tell me (even better if you could show me) which seal you were talking about and if it has any function that will be missed or not? Thanks.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #35
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
Anyone do ol' fashioned K&N? Just plug 'n' play into the stock box? Does no one do this anymore? Heckuva lot cheaper if flow is the issue and not so much temps.
      02-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #36
zayzay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 1M

purchased the afe dual cone cai. notice a difference in sound and performance at higher speeds
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #37
gibbo21
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupè

I think that a hood like that could help a lot with an open DCI
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #38
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1'M Blue View Post
I have an AFE Stage II dual cone open style CAI. fits perfectley.
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 01:39 AM   #39
4thM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp. Alp. White

I know that many on this forum are not fond of DINAN's products but their CAI is the only one I've sen that dramatically increases air volume and flow and gets air from outside the engine bay. Its beautiful too. Its not cheap but see a lot of folks here spending some serious money on a particular exhaust system that has no better performance than many less expensive alternatives. Unfortunately it requires FMIC and increased oil cooler to off set elimination of secondary radiator and even though they told me directly that it was due out some time ago, still does not seem available.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #40
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thM3 View Post
I know that many on this forum are not fond of DINAN's products but their CAI is the only one I've sen that dramatically increases air volume and flow and gets air from outside the engine bay. Its beautiful too. Its not cheap but see a lot of folks here spending some serious money on a particular exhaust system that has no better performance than many less expensive alternatives. Unfortunately it requires FMIC and increased oil cooler to off set elimination of secondary radiator and even though they told me directly that it was due out some time ago, still does not seem available.
Why promote something that may not even make it to market? Dinan has made some great intakes, but I don't see many 1M owners willing to modify their stock cooling system in order to install the Dinan unless there were proven significant gains with the intake alone. Also, the purpose of a CAI is to reduce IAT, so why would an upgraded FMIC be required?

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 12:29 AM   #41
4thM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp. Alp. White

I'm not promoting just adding to the dialogue. Do the research then ask me again. It's actually very well conceived but is part of an overall concept.
Appreciate 0