BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-15-2014, 06:23 PM   #23
jmz135
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 MT E82

Garage List
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGMike View Post
I guess I dont see the issue. The car developed a problem (it is used...) and the dealer is taking care of it? If they cant fix it or it takes an obscene amount of time to fix, then I would be upset. If it was a brand new car and starting having issues immediately, then I would be upset. If you buy a used car and there are issues but the dealer is fixing it, then what is wrong? As I see it, you get a brand new loaner to put miles on while they fix your car..
Maybe the car was beat on a little bit before the previous owner turned it in? It was a leaser return so maybe it once had an aftermarket UICP and when the previous owner returned it to stock he missed something? I wouldnt get too worried right now and see if the dealer can fix it. Then, ask them exactly what happened and ask the new dealer to look over the car to make sure there is nothing else wrong. Everytime I take my BMW in, the dealer looks it over and gives me a little sheet saying whats going on with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1descending View Post
This. I don't see why getting a lawyer involved would be necessary at this point. Used cars are sold as-is and you got CPO (and it should still have factory bumper to bumper warranty) to protect yourself financially from a situation like this, so as long as they fix it they are holding up their end of the bargain.

I completely understand why you'd be unhappy about this but I think all this talk of lawyers and lemon laws is a massive overreaction at this point.
Fair enough, I agree with you guys on principle, that is completely reasonable. I think discussion of lawyers was somewhat premature. I am waiting to see what the explanation is from the dealer and continuing on as normal if I don't see any other issues with the car.

I hope you can forgive me for being overly concerned when I just invested what I consider a lot of money on a luxury car (used or not) and have it break down the next day.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 06:36 PM   #24
1descending
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz135 View Post
I hope you can forgive me for being overly concerned when I just invested what I consider a lot of money on a luxury car (used or not) and have it break down the next day.
Oh I definitely understand, and I'm not condoning BMW's half-assed inspection either. I just think the best course of action at the moment is what you're doing: Get it fixed, and tell the dealer you bought it from just so that they're aware of it. In the future, you'll probably wanna get your own PPI done by your own mechanic regardless of what car you're buying, BMW or otherwise.

Like others have said, sometimes the car has a few problems when you first get it but once they're fixed some people get years of trouble free driving so hopefully that will be the case for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 09:05 PM   #25
tomahawk997
Private
Rep
Drives: Slow Machine

Quote:
Weren't the recalls only for the N54?
N54 recalls dealt with the high pressure fuel pump. There was also a recent recall on the N55 cars dealing with broken vanos bolts.

Thread link....http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831971

Recall link... http://www.bimmerfest.com/news/76464...anos-problems/

Not saying this is your issue, but it could be. Supposedly, it only affects cars with build dates of Dec. 2010 and earlier but the recall extends to 2012 model cars as well, perhaps for good measure on BMW's part. Run your VIN in one of the databases and it will tell you your build date.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 11:41 PM   #26
jmz135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Update:
The dealership called me today saying the problem was fixed. They said the intake boot was coming off during hard acceleration and was putting the car into LIMP mode due to a change in airflow detected by some airflow sensor. They replaced it, and I drove the car a bunch tonight and pushed it fairly hard. Overall seemed great.

The only issue I still occasionally have is when I'm decelerating and roll through something like a yield sign, or if a light goes from red to green, and then I hit the accelerator semi-hard there is a significant turn over time (~1-1.5 seconds) before the gear catches. Anyone else have this happen with the DCT?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 12:30 AM   #27
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

Quote:
Update:
The dealership called me today saying the problem was fixed. They said the intake boot was coming off during hard acceleration and was putting the car into LIMP mode due to a change in airflow detected by some airflow sensor. They replaced it, and I drove the car a bunch tonight and pushed it fairly hard. Overall seemed great.

The only issue I still occasionally have is when I'm decelerating and roll through something like a yield sign, or if a light goes from red to green, and then I hit the accelerator semi-hard there is a significant turn over time (~1-1.5 seconds) before the gear catches. Anyone else have this happen with the DCT?
There's a separate thread about this that's on going. A service bulletin issued in Dec 2013 is supposed to address this. I got it but it's de-balled the car a lot. Fixes some, not all, of the issues with rolling starts at 5mph or less. Me thinks that the DCT just can't figure out what gear to be in and thinks about it while you're sitting in the middle of an intersection.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 12:44 AM   #28
jmz135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overpar56 View Post
There's a separate thread about this that's on going. A service bulletin issued in Dec 2013 is supposed to address this. I got it but it's de-balled the car a lot. Fixes some, not all, of the issues with rolling starts at 5mph or less. Me thinks that the DCT just can't figure out what gear to be in and thinks about it while you're sitting in the middle of an intersection.
Yea it makes me nervous to try and turn right on red, when it happens in those situations it feels like a lifetime. Would you mind linking the thread? It didn't come up when I searched
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 05:54 AM   #29
Overpar56
Rep

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675318

Start here. The SB is from Dec 2012.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 06:35 AM   #30
BimmerE82
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i Sport package

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [7.00]
Quote:
Weren't the recalls only for the N54?
No, the Vanos problem was with the newer N55 engine.....The N5 only had the water pump issue.
      05-16-2014, 07:13 AM   #31
e36addict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35iX

I don't think BMW's "half assed" inspection has anything to do with your blown chargepipe.. Did you expect the tech to get out his crystal ball and predict that the part was going to fail in the near future? Or if it's a vanos failure, would you also like the crystal ball treatment? Get real.
      05-16-2014, 08:36 AM   #32
Overpar56
Rep

The CPO checklist is just that. Pencil whipped by the tech. Mine was checked off and I found some missing tools. No big deal but you do wonder if any manf spends much time on them.

When I sold my RX8 back to the dealer I know they missed a few things when they CPO'd it.

You do have to let the dealer make an attempt to fix the car. You're still under warranty. It took me three visits to get a squeak out of mine but they stuck to it.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #33
CGMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe Sport

Quote:
Fair enough, I agree with you guys on principle, that is completely reasonable. I think discussion of lawyers was somewhat premature. I am waiting to see what the explanation is from the dealer and continuing on as normal if I don't see any other issues with the car.

I totally understand and I would be a little upset as well. Your concern is justified, Im glad the dealer took care of it. The uicp is a pretty common thing too, plastic doesnt hold up well to boost and heat.
Quote:
Update:

The DCT thing seems like a pretty common issue. I had a 328i as a rental (brand new) and it did the same thing. The trans doesnt know what to do and hesitates for a second. The 328 did it when down shifting too. The joys of owning an automatic all of them do it to some extent.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 10:22 AM   #34
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Glad to hear it was fixed easily.

Did the selling dealer call you back with any plan or good faith offer? Are there any BMW accessories you are thinking of getting for it? If so, maybe you can suggest they give you an XX% discount off the price of those for your hassle on the second day of ownership. Or some other suggestion that would you make you feel better about your purchase and help them retain a customer. Worth a try.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 10:46 PM   #35
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

I'm not on this site as often as many and certainly don't pay super close attention...but what I can say is EVERYTIME I look at the posts, someone is complaining about either reliability or "livability" issues with the DCT. What the OP is describing sounds horrible!!! And...I've read it dozens of times. I'm sure there are many cars that run perfectly, but it seems like an overabundance of issues with the DCT. Does anyone disagree?? - This can't be my imagination. But, to the OP...sorry about your troubles, I'd be kind of discouraged.

Everyone knows the new 2 series doesn't offer a DCT.....doesn't that tell anyone anything???

What I do know is you couldn't pay me enough money to buy a 135i with the DCT. My 2008 135i MT was 100% engine/transmission trouble-free for 35,000 HARD Miles. I beat the hell out of that thing! :-)

Prediction: Your car will be back in the shop within 7500 miles. Hope I'm wrong......
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #36
vertebra
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i vert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x97Melbourne
I'm not on this site as often as many and certainly don't pay super close attention...but what I can say is EVERYTIME I look at the posts, someone is complaining about either reliability or "livability" issues with the DCT. What the OP is describing sounds horrible!!! And...I've read it dozens of times. I'm sure there are many cars that run perfectly, but it seems like an overabundance of issues with the DCT. Does anyone disagree?? - This can't be my imagination. But, to the OP...sorry about your troubles, I'd be kind of discouraged.

Everyone knows the new 2 series doesn't offer a DCT.....doesn't that tell anyone anything???

What I do know is you couldn't pay me enough money to buy a 135i with the DCT. My 2008 135i MT was 100% engine/transmission trouble-free for 35,000 HARD Miles. I beat the hell out of that thing! :-)

Prediction: Your car will be back in the shop within 7500 miles. Hope I'm wrong......
I have been an avid reader of the forum and I don't see that many DCT problems. I have not read of any recalls. As far as the 2er not having a DCT... my guess is it will be exclusive to the M2. It's not like BMW stopped producing DCT. Other models have it. Don't scare the OP with BS opinions in order to evangelize MT.

Posted from 1addicts.com App for Android
      05-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #37
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertebra View Post
I have been an avid reader of the forum and I don't see that many DCT problems. I have not read of any recalls. As far as the 2er not having a DCT... my guess is it will be exclusive to the M2. It's not like BMW stopped producing DCT. Other models have it. Don't scare the OP with BS opinions in order to evangelize MT.

Posted from 1addicts.com App for Android
I'm an AT guy currently. I have a 328 automatic -- very slow.....but a great car. I wasn't trying to make a comment one way or the other about transmission selection....not sure where you got that. And I don't think making a comment about a transmission with known reliability issues is BS. Ask your service adviser if you don't want to take my word for it -- ask him if the DCT is anywhere near as reliable as the traditional AT or the MT.
Happy driving.

Last edited by x97Melbourne; 05-21-2014 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: clarification :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 10:43 PM   #38
Overpar56
Rep

DCT in operation

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 03:01 PM   #39
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overpar56 View Post
I just had the new software installed and it's been great so far this week. Still slightly laggy sometimes but no stalling yet and I actually feel like my have has been given an extra set of balls, rather than it feeling gimped.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 03:28 PM   #40
jmz135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
I just had the new software installed and it's been great so far this week. Still slightly laggy sometimes but no stalling yet and I actually feel like my have has been given an extra set of balls, rather than it feeling gimped.
Hi Fcman, I posted an update regarding this in the other thread linked above. I had the new software installed and it is significantly better. The driving at low speeds is worlds better, doesn't lurch nearly as much and no more stalling or engine randomly revving. I do still ocassionally have throttle hesitation, but it doesn't last as long as it used to, nor does it happen as frequently. So still somewhat annoyed at the occasional throttle delay, but still worlds more drivable than before.

And I posted that the hidden upside was that my car seemed significantly faster, so I completely agree. Not sure what they changed on the stock tunes, but the car feels like it has 50 more ft/lbs of torque.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 07:18 AM   #41
Overpar56
Rep

Quote:
Hi Fcman, I posted an update regarding this in the other thread linked above. I had the new software installed and it is significantly better. The driving at low speeds is worlds better, doesn't lurch nearly as much and no more stalling or engine randomly revving. I do still ocassionally have throttle hesitation, but it doesn't last as long as it used to, nor does it happen as frequently. So still somewhat annoyed at the occasional throttle delay, but still worlds more drivable than before.

And I posted that the hidden upside was that my car seemed significantly faster, so I completely agree. Not sure what they changed on the stock tunes, but the car feels like it has 50 more ft/lbs of torque.
I did the throttle reset the other day and the drivability seems better. I still get a little rev change at idle (with and without the AC on) but not as bad as before where it would rev past 1200rpm.

I'm try to wear the RFTs down as quickly as possible because they just aren't able to handle the least amount of torque.

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 08:22 AM   #42
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:

Oh wow haha, didnt realize it was the same person
Appreciate 0