BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-10-2008, 08:44 AM   #1
UR2SLOW1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Oil Capacity / Filter Location ??

Can anyone tell me what the Oil capacity is and where the Oil filter is located ??? I've looked everywhere in the owners manual and can't find this information. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 09:16 AM   #2
chewablechain
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

You know I can't find anything on it either. After all there's no dipstick, they might not want people to know... ?? Can't explain it, you know I've even asked BMW this and they told me they would call me back. Hasn't happened yet.
      04-10-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

OIl filter is a cartridge type and location is highlighted in the photo below. Since the N54 enigne is used in the 335i - I suspect that if you look for it's capacity it'll be the same in the 135i:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
UR2SLOW1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the handy diagram, I thought that was the location but was not sure. According to the e90 forum the 135i engine holds 6.9qts of oil, holy cow.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 03:48 PM   #5
M3_Dust
Michelin Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by UR2SLOW1 View Post
Thanks for the handy diagram, I thought that was the location but was not sure. According to the e90 forum the 135i engine holds 6.9qts of oil, holy cow.
that may be the total capacity, if so, it doesn't all drain out when you do an oil change and you may only need to add 5.5-6 quarts/liters to avoid overfilling the oil. overfilling the oil is bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 05:29 PM   #6
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

6.9qt (6.5L) is how much all N5x engines take with an oil and filter change. If you only fill it with 5.5 qt, it will give you a low level warning. Don't worry about the extra tenth; you can fill it with 7qt.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 08:11 PM   #7
UR2SLOW1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Did the deed tonight and added a full 7 quarts with no problem, after a few minutes of idling the computer registered "OK" with the level right at full. Very easy car to change the oil on, there's a handy little door to flip down so you can remove the drain bolt throught the shroud.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #8
M3_Dust
Michelin Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did the deed tonight and added a full 7 quarts with no problem, after a few minutes of idling the computer registered "OK" with the level right at full. Very easy car to change the oil on, there's a handy little door to flip down so you can remove the drain bolt throught the shroud.
:w00t:

I think you are the first person to do one, would you care to post some details or even a DIY? How easy is it to access the oil drain plug? did you use ramps or jack the car up?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 09:34 PM   #9
UR2SLOW1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

It was extremely easy, I used my dads garage since he has a two post lift. Before putting it up in the air I removed the oil filter and the fill cap. After the car was in the air I began looking at the underbody and admiring the many many underbody trays. Then I started to look for the drain bolt and I noticed a small "triangle" shaped door. I used a straight head screwdriver to turn a little dial and the door swung down to reveal the drain bolt directly above it. Then I used a 17mm box wrench to loosen the bolt and drain the oil. The BMW oil filter I purchased also included a new copper drain bold washer and a large O-ring and small O-ring for the oil filter cap. All in all it's a very easy job, especially compared to my old 06 Si. Good luck !
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 10:20 PM   #10
M3_Dust
Michelin Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It was extremely easy, I used my dads garage since he has a two post lift. Before putting it up in the air I removed the oil filter and the fill cap. After the car was in the air I began looking at the underbody and admiring the many many underbody trays. Then I started to look for the drain bolt and I noticed a small "triangle" shaped door. I used a straight head screwdriver to turn a little dial and the door swung down to reveal the drain bolt directly above it. Then I used a 17mm box wrench to loosen the bolt and drain the oil. The BMW oil filter I purchased also included a new copper drain bold washer and a large O-ring and small O-ring for the oil filter cap. All in all it's a very easy job, especially compared to my old 06 Si. Good luck !
sounds almost exactly like the procedure on my M3, except it uses a 6mm hex socket for the drain plug, thanks for the headsup on the drain plug size.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 12:14 PM   #11
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Thanks for this info !!!!

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 11:46 PM   #12
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

So changing the oil doesn't drain the oil cooler? I don't understand how this all works? If the engine oil and oil cooler uses the same oil, shouldn't everything be drained???

A complete step by step would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 11:50 PM   #13
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Dust View Post
I think you are the first person to do one...
I've been changing oil on N5x engines for over 2 years. :wink:

Other than the oil filter cap adapter needed, it's exactly like M54 cars.
Appreciate 0