BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #45
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkkyyMan View Post
I understand a wheel and a rotor are different, the point was it is an important component don't buy junk.

Go buy meijer root beer and come back and tell me it's made with the same ingredients
Dude...you just don't get it, do you?

Your logic is so flawed.

My Eibach sway bar was cheaper than a M3 Sway bar, is that junk?
My HP+ Pads are cheaper than OEM Pads, is that junk?
My Dunlop ZII Tires are cheaper than PSS, is that junk?
Recaro Pole Position seats are cheaper than OEM, is that junk?
Hell, my TCKline Dual Adjustable suspension is probably cheaper than OEM....IT MUST BE JUNK!

I can go on, and on, and on...but I would hope you get the point.

You don't know why ECS is discounting those rotors. Maybe they are short on warehouse space and they just need the room? You do not know.

Regardless, it has been WELL documented that generic rotors are PERFECTLY FINE to run.

PS - Running HID Kits in fog lights, now that is junk.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 09:15 PM   #46
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkkyyMan View Post
When tracking or driving your car hard everything wears at an accelerated rate, wheels aren't going to last forever..

The point I'm trying to make is buy a quality product. Does it have to be top of the line and the most expensive thing? No.

If you ask the veteran drivers if they are running autozone rotors I am willing to bet that majority of them will say no..
I use cheap blanks in the rear, specifically the Wearever brand (or whatever it's called) from Advance Auto. I've done Brembo, Centric Premium and the cheap stuff and there is no discernible difference. Other rotors may be more expensive for reasons such as less prone to rust or they are slotted/drilled but that means nothing for on track performance.
      04-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #47
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

Here's some interesting reading.

http://www.underhoodservice.com/Arti...c_in_2013.aspx

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 09:38 PM   #48
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Dude...you just don't get it, do you?

Your logic is so flawed.

My Eibach sway bar was cheaper than a M3 Sway bar, is that junk?
My HP+ Pads are cheaper than OEM Pads, is that junk?
My Dunlop ZII Tires are cheaper than PSS, is that junk?
Recaro Pole Position seats are cheaper than OEM, is that junk?
Hell, my TCKline Dual Adjustable suspension is probably cheaper than OEM....IT MUST BE JUNK!

I can go on, and on, and on...but I would hope you get the point.

You don't know why ECS is discounting those rotors. Maybe they are short on warehouse space and they just need the room? You do not know.

Regardless, it has been WELL documented that generic rotors are PERFECTLY FINE to run.

PS - Running HID Kits in fog lights, now that is junk.
"When tracking or driving your car hard everything wears at an accelerated rate, wheels aren't going to last forever..

The point I'm trying to make is buy a quality product. Does it have to be top of the line and the most expensive thing? No.

If you ask the veteran drivers if they are running autozone rotors I am willing to bet that majority of them will say no.."

^You must have missed that..

What does running no name cheap Chinese recycled steel rotors have to do with you naming off reputable companies that are slightly less in price vs oem and other random brands?

What about HID kits in fog lights?

Last edited by MarkkyyMan; 04-17-2014 at 09:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 07:32 AM   #49
hoki06
Lieutenant
Rep

The point several of us are trying to make is that cheap, no name blank rotors have no noticeable lack of performance when compared to brand name blank rotors (or slotted/drilled/gold plated/ect). We know this from years of on track experience which has formed these opinions.

A lot of people come on these boards and look for guidance on which parts to buy. Most people are also looking to save a buck or two when possible. When people start blindly throwing out suggestions for brand name products when cheaper alternatives are just as good, it's concerning. There are a lot of parts where you absolutely get what you pay for. Wheels, suspension, and body parts are some I'd say spend some extra $$ on for the good stuff. From my experience, I'd say rotors do not fall in that category.

If I can buy a set of cheap rotors that last 80% of the brand name rotors at 1/4 the price, why would I not do that?

In the end it's not my money being spent but I'd like to try and help keep the facts in front of people. There's no need to spend $100/rotor when you can go buy all 4 for $150-200 and get the same performance.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 07:39 AM   #50
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 07:49 AM   #51
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoki06 View Post
The point several of us are trying to make is that cheap, no name blank rotors have no noticeable lack of performance when compared to brand name blank rotors (or slotted/drilled/gold plated/ect). We know this from years of on track experience which has formed these opinions.

In the end it's not my money being spent but I'd like to try and help keep the facts in front of people. There's no need to spend $100/rotor when you can go buy all 4 for $150-200 and get the same performance.
The problem is this mentally that somehow purports track experience with parts as > any street use. It's frankly idiotic and misleading.

Track parts are single purpose rapidly disposed of wear items. Street drawbacks(like brake squeal from track pads or lightweight flywheel clatter) are utterly irrelevant when lapping the circuit.

Sure, those rotors might work on the track for keeping costs down. But I also have no doubt that due to their shoddy Chinese metallurgy, they rust up very quickly. No big deal on the track when you have your warmup lap to scrub them in with the tires. But when you back out of the garage on the way to work and are pulling past the house, that rusted over rotor is going to severely impair your stopping distance when your daughter runs out to give you a hug goodbye.

Parts need to be evaluated for their intended purpose. When it comes to street use, WGAF if it works on the track.
      04-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #52
hoki06
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
The problem is this mentally that somehow purports track experience with parts as > any street use. It's frankly idiotic and misleading.

Track parts are single purpose rapidly disposed of wear items. Street drawbacks(like brake squeal from track pads or lightweight flywheel clatter) are utterly irrelevant when lapping the circuit.

Sure, those rotors might work on the track for keeping costs down. But I also have no doubt that due to their shoddy Chinese metallurgy, they rust up very quickly. No big deal on the track when you have your warmup lap to scrub them in with the tires. But when you back out of the garage on the way to work and are pulling past the house, that rusted over rotor is going to severely impair your stopping distance when your daughter runs out to give you a hug goodbye.

Parts need to be evaluated for their intended purpose. When it comes to street use, WGAF if it works on the track.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with thinking if a rotor can take the abuse of the track then it's ok for street use. Many parts should be track use only but basic brake rotors is not one of them. It's absurd to think that some minor surface corrosion will severely hinder your ability to stop the car, especially in the situation you described.

Stig, I typically agree with your mentality and thoughts on the forum and I'm all for buying quality parts, but we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #53
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoki06 View Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong with thinking if a rotor can take the abuse of the track then it's ok for street use. Many parts should be track use only but basic brake rotors is not one of them. It's absurd to think that some minor surface corrosion will severely hinder your ability to stop the car, especially in the situation you described.

Stig, I typically agree with your mentality and thoughts on the forum and I'm all for buying quality parts, but we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.
At the end of the day, we all own our own cars and make the decisions we want to make. I'm merely offering the counter perspective.
      04-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #54
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Personally rear brake maintenance should be put on hold. We may no longer desire 128i rear rotors. A 328i hub and rear rotor may be the way to go

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #55
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta
Personally rear brake maintenance should be put on hold. We may no longer desire 128i rear rotors. A 328i hub and rear rotor may be the way to go
Lol. Way to go and throw that in there. Now everyone will be confused!!
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 01:55 PM   #56
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.rodriguez View Post
Lol. Way to go and throw that in there. Now everyone will be confused!!
LOL, yeah I guess, im not too good at being clear initially.
I took me a few days to make my idea complete anyway, hence why my post count is what it is - every post edit is +1 post.

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 03:20 PM   #57
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6SPD E82

Lol we'll guys I ended up getting 125 centric rotors for my rears. Can't wait to see how these Pagid pads bite and stop with the new tires
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #58
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

I spoke to my metallurgist BIL over the weekend. He said if the casting process follows the proper procedures and the grey cast iron has the right mix of carbon and silicones (and other stuff my BIL rambled on about) that the chance of failure would be pretty rare but there might be uneven heat transfer. He used as an example run the car through a puddle of cool water and watch your rotors warp. Won't fail, but you'll need to turn or replace them.

What he couldn't understand is how someone could sell them for $10 pair and not lose money? So if they're still available, go get them and see how they work. By the way, said BIL heads up the metallurgy dept for engine castings at a Japanese auto manufacturer. He also showed me why our rims rust onto the hubs every few months.

What I recall from college physics 101 professor was: brakes don't stop cars. Trees do.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 09:28 PM   #59
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep

And then statics comes into play after the tree stops the car. Yay forces!

Last edited by MarkkyyMan; 04-21-2014 at 09:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 09:42 PM   #60
Blacksport
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i

I just bought 2 of those rotors and my car only has 2300mi.....

I don't even like my rotors to have deep scores, and the stock rear rotors are looking somewhat scored already (the front BMW performance rotors are gorgeous)...any scoring or warping, they get tossed on the rotor pile.
'13 128i 6sp, '19 Cherokee Ltd 3.2, '17 Ducati SuperSport S Gone But Not Forgotten: 74 Z28, 77 Datsun 280Z (1st 5sp in US), 92 Nissan 300ZTT, 94 MB SL600 V12, 01 M Roadster, 66 Yamaha TwinJet 100, 70 Suzuki X6 Hustler Race: GP/FP Spitfire SCCA, Merlyn FF SCCA, Mazda RX7 IMSA GTU, Yamaha FZR 400 AMA.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 11:18 AM   #61
Blacksport
Second Lieutenant
Rep

UPDATE:

I just got the rear rotors from ECS.....I was shocked to see the BMW logo stamped on them....yes, these are genuine factory rotors...I even took a rear wheel off to check the stamping on the hub...both have exactly the same stamping; same size, same type font, same BMW logo.....

factory rotors for 5 bucks each???
'13 128i 6sp, '19 Cherokee Ltd 3.2, '17 Ducati SuperSport S Gone But Not Forgotten: 74 Z28, 77 Datsun 280Z (1st 5sp in US), 92 Nissan 300ZTT, 94 MB SL600 V12, 01 M Roadster, 66 Yamaha TwinJet 100, 70 Suzuki X6 Hustler Race: GP/FP Spitfire SCCA, Merlyn FF SCCA, Mazda RX7 IMSA GTU, Yamaha FZR 400 AMA.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 12:19 PM   #62
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Congrats, a nice gamble indeed. ECS has had those on sale for like a year now

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 12:19 PM   #63
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksport View Post
UPDATE:

I just got the rear rotors from ECS.....I was shocked to see the BMW logo stamped on them....yes, these are genuine factory rotors...I even took a rear wheel off to check the stamping on the hub...both have exactly the same stamping; same size, same type font, same BMW logo.....

factory rotors for 5 bucks each???
That's pretty shocking news, do you have photos?
      04-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #64
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6SPD E82

Rats I should of bought them lol
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 05:16 PM   #65
Blacksport
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, the sale is over now....

Here's a shot of one of the rotors, a piece of the bag with the BMW logo and part number is pictured with the numbers and logo on the rotor....wow, what a steal...I actually tried to buy 3 sets, but their system changed it to 1 set...I tried like 10 times, LOL...

More good news...found a set of EBC green stuff pads on sale with free shipping....these are great street pads and especially good on the rear...they have a course "coating" that conditions the rotors and beds the pads...very sweet, and low dust...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 07:13 AM   #66
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Very odd they didn't advertise them as such!
Appreciate 0