Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tire warranty... to get or not to get?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-16-2006, 12:27 PM   #1
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Tire warranty... to get or not to get?

Hey guys,

I am picking up my 2006 Premium & Sport 323i tomorrow and the dealer just called me and offered me a tire warranty that would replace tires if I, say, drove over a nail or something (you can use the warranty until a dollar value of is $5000 reached). The warranty costs are as follows:

3 years for $404 + tax
4 years for $524 + tax
5 years for $584 + tax

Does anyone have opinions? Keep in mind that my car only has 16 inch rims...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2006, 12:41 PM   #2
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

save your money........think about it....how many times in your life have you punctured a tire due to a nail/something else?
      01-16-2006, 01:17 PM   #3
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

i have bad luck with tires. i've had at least one puncture with almost every set of tires i've had. i still didn't get the insurance though.
      01-16-2006, 07:45 PM   #4
gdcwatt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 Mazda Protege

I don't understand all the details of the program. I was told that you don't have to get the tire fixed/replaced by BMW, but what happens - do you apply for a credit? How much? So, you're on holiday, and what, you have to carry the spare on the roof, so that you can bring it back to the dealer? The dealer told me that a typical tire from BMW is $500, or more. The Continental r-f from tiretrends.com is $400, plus shipping, plus tax, plus installation. I told the dealer last week that if I bought a 323i, I'd also be getting into the tire importing business; you can order the same Continental for [I think it's] $140US or $170US from tirerack.com, but you'll never get near the .94g lateral acceleration number that Car&Driver recently achieved with their test winning Goodyear.

I bought an Acura TSX on the weekend, and run-flats and the deturned 2.5L (vs the european engine) were the big reasons why. BMW made a bad decision, and owners are paying for it.

BTW, I had three nail punctures last year. I travel 300km round trip to the cottage most summer weekends, and just don't want to have to spend the night at a motel 6, waiting for a new tire to be couriered to ....

The BMW package also covers your rims, by the way. But the 323i comes with 16's that you'll want to use for your snow tires, so does their plan cover the new 17's you'll want to buy? And the BMW rims (and all run-flats) are so heavy that you'll want to compensate with some non-BMW alloys - are they covered too?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2006, 07:54 PM   #5
Silv3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I got a quote from Bridgestone/Firestone dealer. They charge $100 for all 4 tires,for the road hazzard plan. Its good for 3 years or 2/3 tread. They will replace it or repair it. They offer a lifetime rotation/bal pkg for $63. They also have more service centers than BMW has dealers in the US. This quote was for my e90 325 w/ 205/ 55 16 all around. Each tire cost $244 installed.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2006, 07:57 PM   #6
Compos Mentis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Arctic 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdcwatt
The dealer told me that a typical tire from BMW is $500, or more. ?
They do a good job selling the insurance. Put the money in the bank for a tire fund. The premium over a regular tire isn't so much you need to insure them. That seems crazy. You can afford a new tire once in a blue moon.

Run flats may not be for everyone, but it's a great safety item. You can get off the road to a garage safely.

Everyone complains about blowing out a RFT and being stuck without a spare, but that rarely happens - mostly to people who absolutely neglect the tire pressure. If all fails, have the garage put a cheap non-RFT or used tire on it until you get to your favorite tire shop.
18000 miles...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2006, 11:08 PM   #7
2006bmw
First Class Privates
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Is that just the tire or the tire and wheel? I don't think it's worth it for just tire insurance, but may be worth considering if for both. I think dealers usually offer tire and wheel, not just tire.
      01-16-2006, 11:27 PM   #8
jimf15e
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

It's for tires and wheels. I got it because my wife is the primary driver and she actually asked for it. She has had bad luck with tires and I was more than happy for us to pony up. The salesman (and yes, he did try hard to sell it and I bit) showed a bent 20" Rolls Royce rim from a pothole impact that was replaced under the warranty. I can't speak 100% honestly, but logic would say low profile run flats and relatively soft aluminum wheels lead to a higher probability of damage, especially with someone who "hasn't had good luck with wheels" (and backed into my car in the driveway... twice!). I'm also now considering going back and getting "Ding Monkey" because a) the name is cool and b) someone in the Target parking lock opened a door into my S4 and left a half dollar sized dent about 1 month after I got it.

Jim
(Sold) 2006 BMW 330i/Jet Black/Black
(Sold) 2005 Audi S4/Moro Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 08:47 AM   #9
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Hey Guys,

Thank you all for your informative replies! I think that I am going to stay away from the insurance business... I think that I will likely spend less money if I just take care of wrecked tires out-of-pocket... hopefully I have good luck!

The tough part about now-a-days is that somebody's hand is always in your pocket or feeling up your leg really hard trying to get into your pocket. These insurance things must be big money makers as everybody including Futureshop, Bestbuy, BMW, ALL cell phone companies, Banks, etc. are offering some sort of insurance!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2006, 09:05 AM   #10
gmcwv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Sport

epipthone- I would follow CNTRCHO's lead. Go to a bridgestone/firestone store and at least get a quote for road hazzard from them. If anything goes wrong with a tire it is around 400 to 500 to replace. You can use the warrenty at any bridgestone/firestone store or a tire expert center (they have been bought out by firestone)

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/store...r/index_bs.asp
http://www.experttire.com/locate/index.jsp
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2006, 09:52 AM   #11
volinder
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw wannabe

I just bought a 325i from Calgary BMW last night, they offered me the warranty also. I'm going to decline it for 2 reasons.

#1 If you need to replace the tires in the future due to normal wear, i'm assuming that if you don't buy the tire from the dealership they will void that warranty.

#2 I'm a get me some 19" er's anyways
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2006, 10:39 AM   #12
06_BlackSapphire_325
Rep
Drives: 2006 325

I did get the insurance on my car and actually found it to be useful. I was on a road trip from here to Portland and got puncture in portland. Took out the "tire insurance" card, called them. By default if I were anywhere in the Bay Area, they ask you to go to the dealer for the fix, but as I was out of state, they found a tire provider in the area I was in, which ended up being just a tire store, drove down, new tire was waiting, replaced back on the road with very little inconvenience. As long as you plan to keep the same tires and or rims on the car, its not a bad plan to get.
Appreciate 0