BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-18-2014, 08:59 AM   #1
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

Exclamation Dead Pixels….not the rock band

Dead Pixels….not the rock band

I love my 135i…I really do…it’s a nice car she makes me smile…even though she has mental issues.

Ok yeah she drinks a half a quart of full synthetic motor oil every 5k miles…which is when I do my oil changes.
And yeah every now and then…for some odd reason she throws a code regarding a corner light…which requires the car to be turned on and off for it to be cleared…hell even the seat as a little tear in the cheep thin fake leather….all that I can deal with.

But now I’m freaking scared out of my boxer briefs…..I’m looking at my beautiful I drive navigation screen and all along the bottom the pixels are failing…going white…..and here and there on the screen there is a dead pixel or two. And here is why I’m scared….did a google search for dying pixels on Idrive…I got nothing…..

Here is the background, the car is a 2009, it has 75k miles on it, she lives in a garage, I take her to the car wash every other day. I clean the inside of the car carefully….i let the car warm up before I drive off…..i park in the shade and use a sun shake to keep her inside cool in the summer….so WTF is going on with this screen?

And is it covered under CPO? I have a sinking feeling….the answer may be a no. And that means I’m looking at a solid $1k repair bill?
Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
DSSG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M Sport

Trying to fix stuff like you mentioned is a total waste of time and will probably be expensive. Your car is dying as BMW or God intended.

It is time for you to begin saving your pennies to buy a new car. Perhaps a Toyota Corolla?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Pixel failures are common with German cars. I had tachopix.de repair my e39 5er speedo bc display. They had a one day turn around and were great to deal with! They speak English as well.

Looking at their website your problem is common too. Its only a ~300 euro repair too.

http://www.tachopix.de/navirepair/na.../pagetype.iav/

Shoot them an email with some pics of your pixel failure...

info@tachopix.de

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 10:36 AM   #4
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep

75k miles the car dies...really? If a car was to live to only 75k miles then i think we have a major problem.
and if BMW can't get Denzo to build a quality screen that lasts past 75k miles then BMW has a major problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 10:39 AM   #5
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Pixel failures are common with German cars. I had tachopix.de repair my e39 5er speedo bc display. They had a one day turn around and were great to deal with! They speak English as well.

Looking at their website your problem is common too. Its only a ~300 euro repair too.

http://www.tachopix.de/navirepair/na.../pagetype.iav/

Shoot them an email with some pics of your pixel failure...

info@tachopix.de

Thank you but i don't see the N53 called out?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by shah269 View Post
Thank you but i don't see the N53 called out?
Send them some photos of your pixel problem. I am sure they can repair it.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #7
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep

I'm actually going to take a few pictures tonight when i get home to post here.
I wonder how much it is for a new screen? And how much ot install? And if i can even do it myself?

It's kind of silly...I've had a TV longer than this car...and the TV has been on longer than the car screen....why is it failing like this? From the bottom up...so strange!
But maybe that's why we never hear any good electronics comming from Italy....

Thank you Denso for making crap parts i guess?
Appreciate 0