BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
thehalcyon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i MT LeMans

First annual service next week, have a few questions

I have my first annual service next friday.

Aside from the oil & oil filter change and the standard scope is there anything else I can request to have changed or replaced? After doing a search it seems to vary from dealer to dealer as to what they do.

I did my low mileage oil change at around 10,000km . Right now i'm sitting at 16,568 km (10294 miles) however my 1 year in service date was June 28 2012, I tried to book my car in 2 weeks ago, but they were booked solid. Got a service date for the 5th of July. Hopefully that shouldn't effect my service records since its only a week.

I had a couple noise questions.

Are noises and sounds not covered by warranty after 12 months? I have a minor what sounds like squeak / squeal noise when the car rolls backwards slowly for a couple seconds when in reverse ( no brakes applied at all). Don't hear it at all while driving forwards. Just a minor annoyance or something to be concerned about?

The second is what sounds like a pump of some sort, I only hear it when the car is wet or when I've washed it. when its off and parked it sounds like its coming from underneath the air filter. A periodic slightly random pump type sound.

I think some people answered before saying it could be normal, just thought I would double check again since I'm bringing it in for service.

As a side note I got a quote for a ppk1 and performance exhaust from the 2 dealerships in town. They are both right around the same price for the quote

ppk1
kit price $1280
install (quoted at 2 hour flat rate) $250
plus sales taxes 13%
-----------------------
$1717.60 CAD

that is just outrageous, I thought it was just a 10 min software update and a sticker? I'm not sure if that's the norm here in Canada but I see some of you guys over in the states paying half that.

Performance Exhaust $1350
install (quoted at 1 hour flat rate) $125
plus sales tax 13%
--------------------
$1666.75 CAD

Expensive but a lot of people say its worth it.

Is it really a noticeable upgrade over the stock?

Cheers & Happy Canada day weekend to our other fellow Canadian members
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Yes, prices in Canada are certainly higher. I have been quotes of close to those amounts for PPK1 and PE. Your provincial taxes are higher. Sometimes these items go on sale, but not aware of that happening soon.

Others say you can feel the PPK, but the PE is just sound, not hp increase.

If I were going to do PPK1, I would more likely do the Dinan as it is about the same money, maybe a bit more, is warrantied as well; and gives more hp and torque than PPK1.

Good luck.
      07-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
thehalcyon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i MT LeMans

I managed to negotiate $100 off the BMW performance exhaust ($1250) so I took the plunge. Getting it put on this Friday hopefully, when I take the car in for service.

I'm quite looking forward to it. Is it reasonable to request that I keep my old exhaust?

I'll be recording audio clips of the before and after with my zoom h1 mic in 24-bit/96 kHz wav. If I can find the right levels without clipping & wind noise!

I got one of those old radioshack db meters so I'll try to measure the sound levels before and after inside the cabin & cold start.

Another little thing i found is that the gutters in the rear of the car for the trunk seem to drain water and bits of foliage and debris into the rear tail light plastic housing? Odd... seems to flow past a little gap in the light housing and collect in the top of the clear plastic.

A minor thing but I wonder if anyone else has had this.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

halcyon - yes, it is reasonable to keep your old exhaust. I am considering adding the PE, and I have made it clear I want my old exhaust back intact (ie, not chopped up). If they cannot do that, I won't change to PE.

Let me know how you like the PE once on the car, thanks.