06-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #23
1MOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M AW & F15X5 40d & M2C HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombeh View Post
Thanks bud, did they do both sides or did they not feel it was required. You describe it precisely, just when you slowly take off, then again when you slowly come to a stop. I figured it was metal as the other night when the car had been sitting in 3 degs, no noise.

I'm just fully expecting that the one time I demonstrate the noise with one of their techs, it will shut up. Murphy likes my company.

She's booked in, will be so nice without this incessant creaking.
The noise only came from left side so they didn't feel the need to do both sides as the noise completely disappeared by just doing one side. I wouldn't them to do both sides...seeing the windows and interior trims coming off the car wasn't too comfortable as I was worried another creak may appear after they refitted the trims....so far touch wood and the car has been absolutely rock solid since.

Are you in Sydney?
      06-22-2013, 01:20 AM   #24
Chapman1977
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOz View Post
Mate, I had the problem you just mentioned.

My dealer fixed it under warranty. They diagnosed it as seam creaking. They had to remove the interior trim and the left rear window to get to the problem. BMW Australia knew exactly what the problem was as soon as my service advisor discussed the issue with them.

Here's a pic I took, the solution was to put new high tensile rivets along the seam where I placed the red dots. No lube is going to fix this one.

Hope this helps you sort yours out. The creaking was so annoying to me so I know how you feel.
Hi mate,

can't see any pictures...? Could you try to upload them again?

My car is at the dealership right now and they can't seem to get it right..having a hard time to locate it.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #25
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

Quote:
The noise only came from left side so they didn't feel the need to do both sides as the noise completely disappeared by just doing one side. I wouldn't them to do both sides...seeing the windows and interior trims coming off the car wasn't too comfortable as I was worried another creak may appear after they refitted the trims....so far touch wood and the car has been absolutely rock solid since.

Are you in Sydney?
I'm in Melb bud, great to hear the thing is sorted, mine's going in on Tuesday and I can't wait for it to be quiet. Going to be wonderful. Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #26
1MOz
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapman1977 View Post
Hi mate,

can't see any pictures...? Could you try to upload them again?

My car is at the dealership right now and they can't seem to get it right..having a hard time to locate it.

Cheers
Hello, not sure what happened.
Here's the photo.

Let us know how you get on. Hope it's sorted out for you.
Attached Images

06-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #27
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Here's the photo.
If they managed to remove the Shadow Line trim and rear window without breaking the latter, then your 1M was/is in cautious hands.
      06-25-2013, 03:00 AM   #28
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Mate, I had the problem you just mentioned.

My dealer fixed it under warranty. They diagnosed it as seam creaking. They had to remove the interior trim and the left rear window to get to the problem. BMW Australia knew exactly what the problem was as soon as my service advisor discussed the issue with them.

Here's a pic I took, the solution was to put new high tensile rivets along the seam where I placed the red dots. No lube is going to fix this one.

Hope this helps you sort yours out. The creaking was so annoying to me so I know how you feel.
So of course, I take the car in for a service and tell them about the fault, and because of the cold weather, the car doesn't make any noise. So I take them to this thread and a pic of your car and they say they can't do anything if the noise is not apparent. So I have to take the car back, drive it around and when it creaks again take it back. Wouldn't ya now it.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 05:42 AM   #29
1MOz
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombeh View Post
So of course, I take the car in for a service and tell them about the fault, and because of the cold weather, the car doesn't make any noise. So I take them to this thread and a pic of your car and they say they can't do anything if the noise is not apparent. So I have to take the car back, drive it around and when it creaks again take it back. Wouldn't ya now it.
Aargh, always the case isn't it!

Mine was creaking every single time without fail. Even the service advisor agreed it would have driven him bonker driving a car like that, let alone a 1M. My dealer was really good about it and got it organised for repair straight away. They had to consult with BMW Aus and get their approval for the repair. Mine was apparently the 3rd 1M that had exact same issue in Australia.

Good luck and hope you get yours fixed soon.
      07-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #30
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well I took the car back now on a day the temp was a little higher as expected, and took them for a drive.

They agreed that it creaks and stripped it back to find it was indeed the seam. So the car is now at the body shop getting the welds done.

Thanks again 1MOZ, shame this is prevalent in such a pricy machine, but at least it's being repaired.

Can't wait for it to be silent.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #31
1MOz
Captain
Australia
Rep

Good news. It will be fixed now that they have confirmed the cause.
      07-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #32
Chapman1977
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Quote:
Here's the photo.

Let us know how you get on. Hope it's sorted out for you.
Hi guys!

So they fixed the creeking noise from the right a-pillar and also did the same thing to the left a-pillar before it could start making any noises.

Everything under warranty, took them three days but they gave me a nice rental.

Only thing they couldn't figure out was a noise coming from the back. Unfortunately I found out where it was coming from a couple of days after I left the dealership...the armrest!

Gonna try to fix this one myself or talk to the dealership when my second inspection is due.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0