BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-22-2013, 05:21 AM   #1
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Why are people keeping their 1Ms ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
I think the better question is why aren't people selling them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
The M2 better be a superior car but we won't know until 2015 or so. I'm putting a deposit down soon. Will the 1M resale go down? I'm not sure. The consensus of a lot of owners is that it's a keeper. I'll never sell mine. Its rarity will help maintain its premium price. I also think that history will reserve a special place for this little beastie since it marks a point where the M division's philosophy changes to an emphasis on turbochargers and lighter weight. Regardless BMW has to note the huge demand for a true drivers car and will surely capitalize on it with the M2. I betcha it'll have more HP and torque which will sell me on it for sure. Gotta love it when your rear tires wear twice as fast as your fronts!
Subscribing to forum fellow Dee Pee's answer.

Though, the reason for keeping is not always driven or influenced by what the competition or BMW itself has on offer. Sometimes you keep stuff simply because you like it, because you consider it precious and enjoyable, regardless of future ("better") opportunities. The "I'm (fairly) happy and satisfied with what I got" argument. And as time goes by, the keeping experience generates bonding, making it even more difficult to part, except if it starts to let you down. Same goes with relationships/friendships: you don't give up on these simply because there's a new interesting kid/gal in town, no ?
      06-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
redux
WTF does Stage 1 mean?
Rep
Drives: Bwm and such

Garage List
2011 1M  [9.35]
That's question is easy enough to answer with one word; that word being character, simply, character. I've been lucky enough to own a few six figure sports cars, all of which are now sold or traded away, and I've come to the conclusion that was the something lost in the computer aided relentless pursuit of speed. Supercars have gotten so good that just about anyone hop in and drive relatively close to the limit ease. The downside being that you learn nothing as a driver and that once the computer runs out of talent, you're headed for the for the undergrowth at Mach 9 without a bag of tools to rectify the situation. The 1m with the fun light illuminated, on the other hand, gives you a chance to play around with the balance of the car while a at reasonable speed.

Additionally, the clutch pedal, skittish read end and that fact that the car likes to be thrown around only enhances my want to hold on to it. It reminds me of times before the affordable performance car sector was tragically lost to understeer and wrong wheel drive the early 2000's. So yeah, the 1M has earned a permanent spot in the stable. It's everything I've ever wanted in a toy (plus, I can't help but sing that Katy Perry - Last Friday Night song every time I press the start button..... weird)

Last edited by redux; 06-22-2013 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Exactly the same reason why I married my wife and keeping her

This is actually my second marriage and I had some long relationships in between too. Sometimes, if you are fortunate enough, at one point in life you feel with certainity that there might not be anything this good or this right happening to you anymore if you miss that or think that your luck will never run up.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redux View Post
That's question is easy enough to answer with one word; that word being character, simply, character.
You nailed it. Project Pyrat forever!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

For the same reason that the E30 M3 is now in such great demand. Rare cars will always be rare cars. The upcoming M2 will be a Mass production car that will undoubtedly be a great M car, but it will never be a Rare car

Why would anyone sell their 1M?????
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post
Why would anyone sell their 1M?????
"The problem is all inside your head
She said to me
The answer is easy if you
Take it logically
I'd like to help you in your struggle
To be free
There must be fifty ways
To leave your lover"

06-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
Vrumpkin
Seymour J. Vrumpkin
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

You can see the writing on the wall. They wont make little sports cars quite like this anymore and one day everyone will want one.

The bitch stays!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
Axelf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 35is...

Every now and again I get the feeling to trade it in for am M3... That's when I looking on the Internet..... But then I need to make a trip in the 1M , to pick up the kids, go to shops or just fill up... Then I always say to my self" you stupid if you want rid of this"... So I don't get rid
I love it
      06-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
Luca335
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I am keeping it because people keep asking me when I am going to sell it. My friend told me he gets the first dip. I was at a bimmer dealership with my wife's F30 and when the sales manager found out I have a 1M, he asked if I wanted to sell it because he regretted giving his allocation to a client. My neighbours ask me, even my SA ask me today.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelf View Post
Every now and again I get the feeling to trade it in for am M3... That's when I looking on the Internet..... But then I need to make a trip in the 1M , to pick up the kids, go to shops or just fill up... Then I always say to my self" you stupid if you want rid of this"... So I don't get rid
I love it
I've been going through this too, keep thinking, "might be nice in an M3" and then I recall my key thoughts of it which were:

- Baulky gear Shift (didn't really like the manual shift at all)
- unnecessary (for me) length
- slightly more sedate looks
- depreciation
- and although I love the sound, every time I nailed it, I thought, it doesn't really do what the noise it's making is suggesting. The dealer looked at me strangely the first time I punched it and then said, "it goes ok". When I mashed it in the 1M, I just started laughing. But they go the same

So the 1M is going to stay for the moment. Love it, she rips, she snorts, you have to wrestle her to the ground, and I followed it home the other day when wifey drove purely for my enjoyment, and my word she has a gorgeous backside. I've not seen many cars look so planted when tootling along through city streets at 35. And when I pulled up along side her and asked wife to squirt it in 2nd, the girl just BARKED at me (the M that is)....... Love it.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 07:50 AM   #11
Alino
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: VO BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelf View Post
I love it

Same here. When my buddy drives off with his e90 M3 and you hear that V8 and its double clutch gearbox going through the gears, I sometimes wonder if I've made the right decision. He bought his (second) M3 second hand in Germany and paid a lot less (20k less) than I did for my new 1M. I can't help thinking " I could have this as well and still have some change"

But the next day when I'm giving my 1M a nice spa treatment and the sun is starting to shine and you see that VO sparkling and those nice competition wheels, those feelings are long gone

I would only consider swapping it for a M3 because of the V8, the advanced MDM and the real M button. I hate it when people are asking me what that little button with the M on my steering wheel is for and I have to reply it only sharpens the throttle response

Look how it sparkles in the sun
Attached Images

06-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #12
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alino View Post
I would only consider swapping it for a M3 because of the V8, the advanced MDM and the real M button. I hate it when people are asking me what that little button with the M on my steering wheel is for and I have to reply it only sharpens the throttle response

Name:  Faking.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  40.2 KBName:  M_Button.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  10.9 KB
      06-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #13
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Keep it while there`s no immediate alternative IMHO.

The only thing that comes to my mind is a Porsche Cayman S, which I really do like. Same size, but less weight, HP almost on par, but I do fear the lack of torque compared to the 1M. Porker a little more expensive in the Netherlands, also there is some rumor about a Cayman R/GT, with a 4 banger turbo (which could eliminate lack of torque)

Like this one;

I have owned an E46 M3 and an E92 M3, the thing I have learned; no more big and fat cars for me. Do not understand me wrong, previous cars where great, great cars, but weight and lack of agility is a real PITA for me. The 1M is a whole lot better in that department, it for sure enhances driving fun, the car is much more alive. There are IMHO just a few cars that can level such driving fun, not necessarily meaning cars with huge HP numbers.

Last edited by Romo; 06-23-2013 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #14
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

To all those thinking about selling your 1M I say please do. There are sooo many people out there hoping to get one. Please make their day!
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #15
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

There is no plans or considerations to rid our lives of the 1M, only what will join it next....

Wife is keen on checking out the CLA45 AMG, but hardly a 1M replacement!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #16
jan9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
There is no plans or considerations to rid our lives of the 1M, only what will join it next....
Exactly my thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #17
h-manuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post

Wife is keen on checking out the CLA45 AMG, but hardly a 1M replacement!
those are ugly as hell!
Current mods: Forge FMIC, N55 Midpipe, Alcantara Steering Wheel, OEM 2012 LCI Black lines, BMW Performance grilles and pedals, Ohlins R&T suspension, Supersprint Exhaust, BMS Charge Pipe, Forge Diverter Valves
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #18
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F80 ZCP & 1M BSM

1. Fender flares
2. Turbo power & torque
3. Manual transmission
4. Smooth revving engine (thanks I6)
5. Wide tires on a small car
6. Limited slip differential
7. Limited production
8. That ass (see No. 1)

The only other cars that meet most of these criteria are:

GT3
GT2
Cayman R
Clown Shoe M Coupe
Renault 5 Turbo
RS4
C63 Black Series

Notice that most of these are not still on the market...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #19
trevoro
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

I've tried talking myself out of the 1M many times. Most recently, I spent 1,200 miles in a 2014 Cayman S with PDK. I'm convinced the Cayman is a better balanced, better engineered and more beautiful car, but none of those things actually make it more desirable. The Porsche is undeniably desirable, and for three weeks I kept reaching for the keys to take another drive. The trouble is that every time I got back in the 1M I realized it is as good or better in just about every way. After a while, I began to wonder why I was reaching for the keys to the Porsche at all...I have more fun in the 1M.

I've casually run about a dozen cars in local autocross over the years, and the 1M has been the most rewarding. Before the summer is over, I hope to take the Cayman and the 1M to the same event, but I'm already convinced of the outcome; the Cayman will be marginally faster, but I won't care. The 1M is the car I look forward to driving.

The PDK is the most amazing automatic transmission I've ever used. While it is amazing 99% of the time, the 1% of the time that it does something unexpected is enough to turn me off. The thought that it might shift or not shift, produce power or not produce power is always in the back of my mind. The thing that niggles the most is when I want a small amount of power to balance the car but the PDK decides it needs to downshift before giving me any power at all. I'm expecting power and rear weight transfer but get momentary deceleration instead. It doesn't matter if I'm driving 10/10ths or 6/10ths. The point isn't that PDK makes me any faster or slower. The point is that it doesn't make me feel in control (whether I am or not is besides the point), and that is what these cars are all about to me.

For better or worse, I "feel" in control of the 1M. On a wet and bumpy road that control may not be as good as in the Cayman, but it is still more rewarding. That I occasionally find myself with white knuckles in the 1M is part of its perfection.

The 1M offers more seats, more space, more torque, more exclusivity (without more maintenance cost) and more excitement. What's not to love? What other car compares?

I'll probably sell it in a few months. Haha : )
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #20
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-manuk View Post
those are ugly as hell!
Yeah they ain't a looker but in the metal they do look better then in the pictures, decent size boot and 2 back doors lol

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #21
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post
1. Fender flares
2. Turbo power & torque
3. Manual transmission
4. Smooth revving engine (thanks I6)
5. Wide tires on a small car
6. Limited slip differential
7. Limited production
8. That ass (see No. 1)

The only other cars that meet most of these criteria are:

GT3
GT2
Cayman R
Clown Shoe M Coupe
Renault 5 Turbo
RS4
C63 Black Series

Notice that most of these are not still on the market...
Good list including Renault 5 Turbo. I would add Clio V6 too
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #22
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F80 ZCP & 1M BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Good list including Renault 5 Turbo. I would add Clio V6 too
A few more:

930 Turbo (personally like the slant nose option)
E30 M3 (obviously)
CLK 63 Black Series
CSi/CSL
E46 M3 CSL
Audi Quattro

And some that are less 'German':
XK140/150
Lancia Stratos HF
R32-34 GTR
Corvette C3
Appreciate 0