E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Front plate

02-01-2006, 12:21 PM   #1
kekoa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 e90

Front plate

So pissed. I got popped yesterday for not having plates on my car. Rear or front. Do we have to buy the bracket and drill for the front plates?

Anyone run front plates here? I think I'm just going to double tape the plate on to get the ticket signed off and then take it off again. No way in hell i'm going to drill.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2006, 12:35 PM   #2
BeemMeUp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

E90 330i / SG / Biege / Burl / ZPP / Heated Seats / Steptronic / CA / PDC / ACC / iDrive / Sirius-prep
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2006, 12:36 PM   #3
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

your dealer should've installed the front and rear brackets for the US sized plates. bring it back to your dealer.
      02-01-2006, 03:27 PM   #4
parafrog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i BlkSaph

Quote:
Originally Posted by kekoa
So pissed. I got popped yesterday for not having plates on my car. Rear or front. Do we have to buy the bracket and drill for the front plates?

Anyone run front plates here? I think I'm just going to double tape the plate on to get the ticket signed off and then take it off again. No way in hell i'm going to drill.
dude, that makes me laugh. i'm kinda in the same boat. the italians aren't that bent out of shape about me not having a front plate. the law requires it, but i don't get stopped for it. i've passed by many a polizia stradale and carabinieri doing traffic stops and haven't been pulled over....yet. besides, i work with many carbs and could get out of the ticket anyway.

germany is a different story. those cats don't play! dude had an eruption when he saw i didn't have a plate. he was busy looking for some felon, so he just told me to fix it right ASAP. i now keep the plate in my trunk with some plastic zip ties. for one trip i put some double sided tape for cushion on the back, then zip tied it through the mesh on the low part of the grill. it worked great and i didn't have to drill. i didn't remove the backing from the side of the tape facing the car cause i didn't want the glue on my finish. i just kept it in place with the zip ties.

best of luck and stay strong brother...resist the drill at all costs!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2006, 03:44 PM   #5
md37793
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Dude, you had no plates on the car at all? If you had a rear plate they would have probably never pulled you over. Not having any plates is just asking for trouble.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2006, 08:13 PM   #6
gos
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by md37793
Dude, you had no plates on the car at all? If you had a rear plate they would have probably never pulled you over. Not having any plates is just asking for trouble.
Agreed.

Colorado has tried several times to pass legislation to eliminate front license plates, but it hasn't passed yet. I don't have a front plate, it's definitely illegal, but I don't think the cops care too much if that's the only offense.

No rear plate would instantly get you pulled over.

I'm guessing about half the US requires a front plate, the other half doesn't. #1 reason against front plates is the cost of making 2 plates per car instead of 1. #1 reason for front plates is that the cops can ID the car/driver/etc fron the front.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2006, 08:55 PM   #7
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

We have to have front and rear plates here. Good news is they can be very slimline and you can have personalised plates as well as long as you pay extra for them.

In fact a car here looks incomplete/strange without plates.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2006, 09:10 PM   #8
Chesmu
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gos
Agreed.

I'm guessing about half the US requires a front plate, the other half doesn't. #1 reason against front plates is the cost of making 2 plates per car instead of 1. #1 reason for front plates is that the cops can ID the car/driver/etc fron the front.
In AZ we're only reired to have rear plates. But if you order vanity plates you get a set of two.. one for ther wall?
      02-01-2006, 09:22 PM   #9
KUweatherman
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Civic Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow
In AZ we're only reired to have rear plates. But if you order vanity plates you get a set of two.. one for ther wall?
Kansas is the same way. No front plate, but you get a front plate when personalized plates are ordered.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 12:28 AM   #10
CALIF65GM
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e93-35 May08 ED

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by md37793
Yep no plates gives them cause to stop you because the car could be stolen.

Debadged 330xi ED 11/14/05 Auto/Mystic Blue/Gray leather with Alum/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seats/Alarm. Sold to Carmax on 6/7/08 with 50,624 miles on clock
Appreciate 0