BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-23-2010, 01:08 AM   #1
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Corona Rings in Queensland

Interesting read. This is from a source of mine at Queensland Police. Apparently our corona rings (ie. daytime running lights) should be off when the headlights come on.............

The Queensland Police Service recently received correspondence in relation to the issuing of traffic infringement notices for offences related to Daytime Running Lights which are fitted to a number of European design motor vehicles.

Advice received indicates that an anomaly exists between Daytime Running Lights (DRL) fitted to late model motor vehicles and the relevant legislation and Australian Design Rules (ADR). The anomaly relates to the legislation and ADR, which state that the DRL must be off when a headlight is on.

The relevant legislation is contained within the:
TRANSPORT OPERATIONS (ROAD USE MANAGEMENT–VEHICLE STANDARDS AND SAFETY) REGULATION 1999
67 Daytime running lights
(1) A pair of daytime running lights may be fitted to a motor vehicle.
(2) A pair of daytime running lights fitted to a motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels must be fitted with the centre of each light–
(a) at least 600mm from the centre of the other light; and
(b) not over 510mm from the nearer side of the vehicle.
(3) However, a pair of daytime running lights fitted to a motor vehicle under 1300mm wide may be fitted with the centre of each light not under 400mm from the centre of the other light.
(4) When on, a daytime running light must–
(a) show a white or yellow light visible from the front of the vehicle; and
b) not use over 25W.
(5) Daytime running lights must be wired so they are off when a headlight, other than a headlight being used as a flashing signal, is on.

The relevant Australian Design Rule is contained within:

Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 13/00 – Installation of Lighting and Light Signalling
Devices on other than L-Group Vehicles) 2005

6.19.7. Electrical connections - The daytime running lamps shall be switched ON automatically when the device which starts and/or stops the engine is in a position which makes it possible for the engine to operate.

The daytime running lamp shall switch OFF automatically when the front fog lamps13/ or headlamps are switched ON, except when the latter are used to give intermittent luminous warnings at short intervals.

Until further advice is received, Officers in Charge of stations and establishments are to advise officers under their control, to be mindful of this possible anomaly before considering commencing proceedings for relevant offences. Without removing an officer’s discretion to commence proceedings, consideration should be given to:

Section 3.4: ‘General prosecution policy’ of the Operational Procedures Manual with regards to the ‘public interest’ and ‘sufficiency of evidence’ tests; and

Section 8.10: ‘Verbal cautions’, and 8.10.2: ‘Records to be kept of cautions issued’ of the Traffic Manual.
      07-23-2010, 01:27 AM   #2
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
If it was an issue the cars would never have been sold the way they are.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 01:32 AM   #3
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
That's why the advice to the police states it's an anomaly (and the subequent warning to use discretion in using this law in relation to "public interest"). The law exists that they shouldn't be on when the headlights are on, yet modern cars don't automatically switch off the running lights when the headlights come on.
      07-23-2010, 01:46 AM   #4
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
The corona rings aren't actually DRL's are they?

I would have thought they act as 'parker' just like any other car. The first click of the headlight switch turns the parkers on, then the next click turns the headlights on. As far as I know, just about all cars have these and they stay on when the headlights are on.

What I would have thought is illegal, is the fog lights like the 125.

Last edited by BBK; 07-23-2010 at 01:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 01:47 AM   #5
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
interesting find. i guess common sense will come into play.
I wish cops cracked down on those guys with fog lamps on all the time, or worse only fog lamps on.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 01:54 AM   #6
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksgoh View Post
I wish cops cracked down on those guys with fog lamps on all the time, or worse only fog lamps on.
I know a person who got done for this just the other week. I think it'll be a more frequent occurance.

125 owners take note I guess.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 01:56 AM   #7
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
my 125i is fog lamp free now its got the performance bumper on =D
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 02:13 AM   #8
E92325i
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

Hmm interesting...

Has anyone actually seen a 1 series or 3 series xenon headlight on without the angel eye on around it? I had it like that on mine (both angel eyes had burnt out) and it looked awesome on a black car.

Anyone remember how the HSV guys were getting pulled over for breaches of the foglight rule for their DRL on the E2 models.

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2009...g-lights-17445
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 02:36 AM   #9
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Off topic a little, but the HSV DRL's may be the worst LED's I have ever seen... Audi started a trend, but at least they did it a lot better! The new Mercs and Porsches with the LED strip look weird...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 02:50 AM   #10
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

I don't think the ring is part of DRL, as I recall, but I will check (or you guys can ), is when our DRL is on, it's more than the rang, but another bulb as well. So, technically, that's part of the normal headlight decoration... while the DRL is the light in the centre of the corona lights.... I might be talking crap here....
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 04:11 AM   #11
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
This also brings up another anomaly, namely where it states the drl should be less than 25w. I'm pretty sure the H8 bulb used for our drl is actually 35w.

Not many people are getting booked for their fog lights being on in clear weather judging by how every other car seems to have them on during the day. I really hate this as it is mostly done by some teenage punk with red p license, little shit box, and self aligned $10 aftermarket fog lights pointing straight up and directly into your eyes.

Even worse are those driving at night in clear weather with their REAR fogs on despite their normal lights are in working order.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 09:10 AM   #12
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 120D M Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
If it was an issue the cars would never have been sold the way they are.
not true.

The 'Foglights' on VX onwards commodores don't comply with the ADR's (incorrect beam pattern and markings), yet they are still sold.

edit: The corona rings/angel eyes/wank circles also run at a lower brightness when the headlights are turned on. There is one globe in there (in the inner 'light' that's not reall a light).
Somewhere in the ADR's there is a line about compliance with ECE/EU rulings being able to be used as an over-ride for the ADR's if appropriate as well. I suspect BMW probably knows a thing or two about being compliant with their local protocols.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #13
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksgoh View Post
lol why?
      07-23-2010, 05:54 PM   #14
recce
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i & 335i

To what I know, if its come out from factory, its OK. If its reto fitted later, then you are in trouble.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #15
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 120D M Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evice View Post
lol why?
because it's illegal and annoying and pointless?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 12:28 AM   #16
qship
Disillusioned bourgeois capitalist pig!
Australia
Rep
Drives: Blue

Corona rings?

I thought that was a special edition Toyota from the 70's.
      07-24-2010, 08:17 PM   #17
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
I will admit i've been warned 4 or 5 times for having my foglights on. However, those have all been at RBTs.

When the car was new, I acted dumb and say the car is new, that the lights were on 'automatic mode' and was still unsure of all the headlight buttons.

Now the car is a year old, i just say i was driving up from Canberra and it was raining on the freeway, and forgot to turn my foglights off as i was concentrating
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 08:59 PM   #18
nvanorten
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW m140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
I will admit i've been warned 4 or 5 times for having my foglights on. However, those have all been at RBTs.

When the car was new, I acted dumb and say the car is new, that the lights were on 'automatic mode' and was still unsure of all the headlight buttons.

Now the car is a year old, i just say i was driving up from Canberra and it was raining on the freeway, and forgot to turn my foglights off as i was concentrating
Why don't you just do the right thing and turn them off when the conditions don't warrant them being on!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 01:45 AM   #19
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvanorten View Post
Why don't you just do the right thing and turn them off when the conditions don't warrant them being on!
Fully agree. 'Gives me the shits all these pricks driving along with their w@nker lights on. If there's no fog, turn them off. You're just pissing off other road users. HSV and FPV drivers seem to be the worst. They inevitably have their fogs on & their fogs are more like blinding spotlights.
      07-25-2010, 09:22 AM   #20
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Fully agree. 'Gives me the shits all these pricks driving along with their w@nker lights on. If there's no fog, turn them off. You're just pissing off other road users. HSV and FPV drivers seem to be the worst. They inevitably have their fogs on & their fogs are more like blinding spotlights.
Off ya high horse.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #21
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
I agree. Well said Tim. It's almost a case of "have foggies, must use them."
      07-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #22
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
I think using the fogs is a bit lame, but I have never had a case where they were distracting me or could have been dangerous to other drivers...
Appreciate 0