BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-08-2017, 05:12 PM   #45
titium
Captain
167
Rep
949
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymil View Post
A lot of customers, you know a lot of advan customers ?

You would be lucky if you knew 5% of old or new advan customers

Very foolish statement and assumption
Not really. You're dilusional if you think advan haven't lost customers.
Few people I've spoken to have been fed up with them and moved on.

The general vibe in the community is that they just aren't as good as they used to be.

Crappy workmanship shitty customer service and overcharging is why I won't be returning back there.

To be fair though they lost me on the tail end of Pete's ownership, so can't really comment on the new ownership.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 04:16 AM   #46
martymil
Colonel
martymil's Avatar
Australia
255
Rep
2,122
Posts

Drives: Garage is to big to list.
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (8)

I did say they didn't loose customers but with every ownership change over
things are going to change, some like it some don't.

For a fact a lot of customers didnt like pete because of the long delays in install times
and a lot of new and old customers have come back/in since the new ownership.

Yes some have left but your going to get that, but not a lot of them as perceived from previous statements.

The problem with the previous statement was that a lot of customers are leaving advan
and thats just not the case, if anything advan is busier than ever with great quality work coming from Cameron and Joe.

Since then things have changed and turn around times are great, with new mechanics
now in the shop things are looking up and I dont have to travel to the arse end of Sydney to get a service.
__________________
Opinions are like assholes everyones got one and they're often full of crap.

Last edited by martymil; 09-10-2017 at 04:22 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 05:31 PM   #47
Drawn05
Captain
Australia
44
Rep
830
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Left

iTrader: (0)

Geez, its good to see that nothing changes on the 1addicts oz forum - still full of pointless arguments.

Anyway, I ordered a Wagner Evo 1 from Schmiedmann along with the Alpine stereo kit. Was surprised that the stereo got delivered yesterday afternoon by some random bloke in a WRX - weird. Intercooler is due by COB tomorrow so looking forward to putting that on.

I've got to say I have been impressed with Schmiedmann. They used to be quite difficult 5-6 years ago compared to ECS Tuning, however the shipping costs of ECS these days are just plain bullshit.

I flashed the MHD stage 1 map and it has been good so far. Not sure if my transmission needs to be serviced as the shifts are quite brutal - I dont remember them being so bad on my previous 135i.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 06:08 PM   #48
martymil
Colonel
martymil's Avatar
Australia
255
Rep
2,122
Posts

Drives: Garage is to big to list.
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (8)

I just cant stand anyone rubbishing a good bussiness either be hills or advan its just not on

Without each other theres no competition, no competition prices creep up slowly

Here is a great guy that just brought a bussiness and is really trying hard to make a go of it and the tools on here want rubbish its name. Give the bloke a chance and you might be surprised
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 07:09 AM   #49
UR25IO
Captain
UR25IO's Avatar
Australia
36
Rep
916
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M-SPORT DCT
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SYDNEY AUSTRAILIA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymil View Post
I just cant stand anyone rubbishing a good bussiness either be hills or advan its just not on

Without each other theres no competition, no competition prices creep up slowly

Here is a great guy that just brought a bussiness and is really trying hard to make a go of it and the tools on here want rubbish its name. Give the bloke a chance and you might be surprised
Seriously Marty i have just lost all respect for you. SO PLEASE GO STUFF YOURSELF.
What dont you get when all ive said was i used Hills now
When did i say DO NOT GO TO ADVAN BECAUSE THEIR OVER PRICE WITH POOR WORKMANSHIP.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 08:02 AM   #50
martymil
Colonel
martymil's Avatar
Australia
255
Rep
2,122
Posts

Drives: Garage is to big to list.
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (8)

I did have a good feed tonight too thanks for telling me to.

Just goes to show the maturity of the crowd on here sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UR25IO View Post
Marty seriously have you read my statement - A lot of Advan customers had moved on. (Fullstop) meaning moved on to other workshops and other makes of car brands
Then i stated personally I now go to Hills same with a few others.

There is a difference between a lot and a few

This is going back to the good old days back in 2011-2012.
Im not talking about the new school guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by UR25IO View Post
Seriously Marty i have just lost all respect for you. SO PLEASE GO STUFF YOURSELF.
What dont you get when all ive said was i used Hills now
When did i say DO NOT GO TO ADVAN BECAUSE THEIR OVER PRICE WITH POOR WORKMANSHIP.
Insinuations are just as bad as statements, you might as well said what you just did in capital letters.

Your maturity level has been shown right here in your last statement.

I never wanted, asked or cared if you respected me, should I run along now and
__________________
Opinions are like assholes everyones got one and they're often full of crap.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #51
T1M
Lieutenant
Australia
83
Rep
513
Posts

Drives: AW MY12 1M
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
Really good post
Didn't want to re-quote all that but very nicely written opinion on the addition of the LSD. I would like to change the stock M3 diff centre to a clutch type LSD in the near future to regain the predictable nature that I had previously and now sorely miss in this current car.

Although my diff won't be behaving exactly like yours does, it's worth noting that I have not experienced understeer in my car. I've not pushed it to the absolute limit of front end mechanical grip but I have been leaning on the door/wheel for support and wishing I had proper buckets and/or a harness but it did not understeer. Hopefully adding more M3 suspension bits will help you.

What tyres are you running?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 10:31 PM   #52
xQx
First Lieutenant
Australia
120
Rep
365
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Sunshine Coast QLD Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1M View Post
Didn't want to re-quote all that but very nicely written opinion on the addition of the LSD. I would like to change the stock M3 diff centre to a clutch type LSD in the near future to regain the predictable nature that I had previously and now sorely miss in this current car.

Although my diff won't be behaving exactly like yours does, it's worth noting that I have not experienced understeer in my car. I've not pushed it to the absolute limit of front end mechanical grip but I have been leaning on the door/wheel for support and wishing I had proper buckets and/or a harness but it did not understeer. Hopefully adding more M3 suspension bits will help you.

What tyres are you running?
I'm running 225/40r18 Kumho Eccsta le sports all round (squared).
The tires came with the rims and they're much better than the all-seasons that came with the car. As far as traction goes, they let go gradually, which is great for learning how the car handles.
(You'd think this was a given, but the all-seasons that came with the car just used to slide without provocation).

I expect control arms at the front should make a big difference, but I've been driving for a week now and it's a really easy behavior to manage. It's only if you're accelerating into a corner - and either backing off or mashing the throttle will cause the car to tighten up (backing off puts the weight back on the front wheels and stops pushing from the back, mashing the throttle causes the back-end to break loose and rotate the car). That said, I haven't driven on any wet roads yet, there's a chance it'll plough.
(In which case I'm going to start spending money on front-end suspension bits.)

I too didn't find understeer to be a problem before the diff, since I'd trail-break into a corner (promoting oversteer) if I was already going fast; or I'd loose 'one-wheel' traction well before I gained enough speed to unsettle the car sideways if I was powering through a corner.

But it's the biggest change in driving the car on the street, compared to before - when you power through a corner, the steering is much heaver because it's desperately trying to push the front wheels straight again; and the track the car takes through the corner is wider than before.

In some sense the answer is what any HPDE instructor would tell you: if you're on the power before the apex you're driving wrong; and you shouldn't be exploring the limits of your grip on the street.

In practice, I just aim for a slightly tighter curve when I'm powering through a corner so I've given myself enough space to catch the car if it does understeer.

But it's so worth it... You notice the extra traction every time you accelerate.

An e-diff might be better than an open diff, but the difference in traction between the e-diff and a mechanical LSD is like night and day.
__________________
2008 BMW 135i Convertible 6AT (E88 N54) M Sport (BMS DCI, VRSF 7" Intercooler, VRSF CP, VRSF v2 DP, Turbosmart BOV, JB4 w/ Bluetooth Gauges, BMS E85 BEF, SmartTop Module, xHP Stage 3, BMS Cowl Filters, RB Inlets & Outlets, MFactory 1.5way LSD, Fuel-it Stage 2+ Bucketless)
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 08:48 PM   #53
Griffster
Private
2
Rep
67
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
So I finally got my diff installed
The good news for me was in my pumpkin size, the Mfactory 10-plate clutch-type diff was the same price as the helical.

I've never had a car with a mechanical diff before, and I gotta say I was a bit nervous spending $3k ($1.5k for the diff, about $400 - $500 for Mike's work & oils etc, about $500 for the diff removal and replacement and about $500 for new PowerFlex diff bushes & Installation)
Great post. I'm kind of shocked though. Mike quoted me $4156 just for the diff. At $3k i'd put one in tomorrow, at $6k i'm really struggling to justify it.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 11:09 PM   #54
xQx
First Lieutenant
Australia
120
Rep
365
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Sunshine Coast QLD Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffster View Post
Great post. I'm kind of shocked though. Mike quoted me $4156 just for the diff. At $3k i'd put one in tomorrow, at $6k i'm really struggling to justify it.
Which diff are you looking at?

This is the one I got:
https://www.difflab.com.au/by-produc...ry-1.5Way-2Way

Obviously what you can get depends on your pumpkin size (I don't know the specifics but I know MT and AT are different), but I would've expected a MFactory Helical be $1,500 + build & fitting, or a Mfactory clutch $1500 - $2,000 + build & fitting.
__________________
2008 BMW 135i Convertible 6AT (E88 N54) M Sport (BMS DCI, VRSF 7" Intercooler, VRSF CP, VRSF v2 DP, Turbosmart BOV, JB4 w/ Bluetooth Gauges, BMS E85 BEF, SmartTop Module, xHP Stage 3, BMS Cowl Filters, RB Inlets & Outlets, MFactory 1.5way LSD, Fuel-it Stage 2+ Bucketless)
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 01:34 AM   #55
martymil
Colonel
martymil's Avatar
Australia
255
Rep
2,122
Posts

Drives: Garage is to big to list.
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (8)

For those prices you can get a low km m3 complete rear end and its way stronger than those from the uk and thats inc install
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 05:51 PM   #56
Drawn05
Captain
Australia
44
Rep
830
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Left

iTrader: (0)

Can anyone link me to a surefire guide (and preferably download) for INPA? I have spent the last week trying to get it working but no luck. It's really starting to shit me.

I got one version working but despite installing in English, all the text is german. Then I couldn't find anything for the e88 (or e82 or 89) or even N54.

I used to have this working well about 5-6 years ago with my old 1ers but I do recall a lot of faffing about to get it to work also.

Help!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 05:59 PM   #57
drjekl
Captain
28
Rep
809
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oz

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawn05 View Post
Can anyone link me to a surefire guide (and preferably download) for INPA? I have spent the last week trying to get it working but no luck. It's really starting to shit me.

I got one version working but despite installing in English, all the text is german. Then I couldn't find anything for the e88 (or e82 or 89) or even N54.

I used to have this working well about 5-6 years ago with my old 1ers but I do recall a lot of faffing about to get it to work also.

Help!
the guys recently released an english version of INPA this week (check for bimmergeeks on FB- oh wait youre not on FB)
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 06:22 PM   #58
Drawn05
Captain
Australia
44
Rep
830
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Left

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
the guys recently released an english version of INPA this week (check for bimmergeeks on FB- oh wait youre not on FB)
Hi Shane. Yes, we have no Facebook...however I take it these are the said "geeks": https://www.bimmergeeks.net/?

I will try and download and install when I get home. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 07:10 PM   #59
drjekl
Captain
28
Rep
809
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oz

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawn05 View Post
Hi Shane. Yes, we have no Facebook...however I take it these are the said "geeks": https://www.bimmergeeks.net/?

I will try and download and install when I get home. Cheers
That'd be them
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 07:13 PM   #60
Griffster
Private
2
Rep
67
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymil View Post
For those prices you can get a low km m3 complete rear end and its way stronger than those from the uk and thats inc install
Where? I've been keeping an eye out and have yet to find one. I see them from time to time but they're invariably the wrong diff for my manual.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 05:38 PM   #61
Drawn05
Captain
Australia
44
Rep
830
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Left

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
That'd be them
Out of interest, have you used this version of Inpa Shane? I cant get this version to work either as it says "Could'nt find INPA configuration file c:\ blah blah". Getting fed up with it. I don't have much spare time anymore so it's annoying to lose time for nothing.

Such a painful process to get this up and running as there are so many versions but also far too many methods/tricks to install. There should just a standard install without the 'replace this file' and 'delete that file'.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 04:25 AM   #62
Nugget
Colonel
Nugget's Avatar
Australia
110
Rep
2,160
Posts

Drives: 2017 M140i, 1994 E36 M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Perth

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffster View Post
Great post. I'm kind of shocked though. Mike quoted me $4156 just for the diff. At $3k i'd put one in tomorrow, at $6k i'm really struggling to justify it.
Was a few years ago but I got a complete diff with a brand new wavetrac centre delivered from the US for ~$3500.
Meant I could just swap them, so when I sold the car I swapped back in the stock diff and sold the LSD for ~$2k.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 06:33 AM   #63
T1M
Lieutenant
Australia
83
Rep
513
Posts

Drives: AW MY12 1M
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
I'm running 225/40r18 Kumho Eccsta le sports all round (squared).
The tires came with the rims and they're much better than the all-seasons that came with the car. As far as traction goes, they let go gradually, which is great for learning how the car handles.
(You'd think this was a given, but the all-seasons that came with the car just used to slide without provocation).

I expect control arms at the front should make a big difference, but I've been driving for a week now and it's a really easy behavior to manage. It's only if you're accelerating into a corner - and either backing off or mashing the throttle will cause the car to tighten up (backing off puts the weight back on the front wheels and stops pushing from the back, mashing the throttle causes the back-end to break loose and rotate the car). That said, I haven't driven on any wet roads yet, there's a chance it'll plough.
(In which case I'm going to start spending money on front-end suspension bits.)

I too didn't find understeer to be a problem before the diff, since I'd trail-break into a corner (promoting oversteer) if I was already going fast; or I'd loose 'one-wheel' traction well before I gained enough speed to unsettle the car sideways if I was powering through a corner.

But it's the biggest change in driving the car on the street, compared to before - when you power through a corner, the steering is much heaver because it's desperately trying to push the front wheels straight again; and the track the car takes through the corner is wider than before.

In some sense the answer is what any HPDE instructor would tell you: if you're on the power before the apex you're driving wrong; and you shouldn't be exploring the limits of your grip on the street.

In practice, I just aim for a slightly tighter curve when I'm powering through a corner so I've given myself enough space to catch the car if it does understeer.

But it's so worth it... You notice the extra traction every time you accelerate.

An e-diff might be better than an open diff, but the difference in traction between the e-diff and a mechanical LSD is like night and day.
Have you coded out the brake assist ie e-diff since adding the LSD?


Quote:
Originally Posted by martymil View Post
For those prices you can get a low km m3 complete rear end and its way stronger than those from the uk and thats inc install
The M3 diff is not a real clutch type LSD. It's a viscous centre that only via wheelspeed difference locks up and actuates clutches. This unlocks itself as wheelspeeds synchronise and then relocks again if they differ as a slide is held. This creates unpredictable behaviour, and a true clutch type LSD is far superior.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 08:04 PM   #64
martymil
Colonel
martymil's Avatar
Australia
255
Rep
2,122
Posts

Drives: Garage is to big to list.
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (8)

The problem with the 135 diff its a pile of shit

It has so many weak links your wasting your time upgrading if your
going to race

The pinion gear shaft is weak and breaks, the pinion gear bearing fails as
its a design flaw in the diff

The half shaft are weak and break.

Has limited gear ratios and the list goes on

The 1m/m3 diff is basically unbreakable as many races have found out.

You have an abundance of ratios to choose from

You can install any diff centre from an abundance of manufactures

It has super strong axels yet to be broken.

The diff is far superior and yet to be broken even at the drag strip on full slicks

The drive shaft to diff coupling is superior as the 135 ones fail easily and
is a common problem.

It has passive cooling unlike 135i

The whole cradle can be had for 1000 plus shipping from UK and that and
that comes with m3 arms, m3 bushes.

What a saving over these silly 135 diff upgrades, now if you want to upgrade
the m diff since you don't like it the plethora of upgrades is available to you

But for 99% of drivers this is the best way to upgrade the 135/335 diff and
get the traction they are lacking.
__________________
Opinions are like assholes everyones got one and they're often full of crap.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:17 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST