BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-13-2014, 07:30 AM   #199
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Reaks of frank smith
Frank Smith and junky CPI headers, what a winning combination.

For those who are unaware, CPI are essentially knock off stepped Supersprint headers made in China. Sadly for them, there is a bit more to header design than a "stepped look", so they ended up losing power in the low/mid range and only had a peak gain of 4hp/1tq, which is within the margin of error for a dyno.

Frank Smith is a well known BS E46 M3 tuner. Famous for his magic dyno where cars magically gain 30hp+ from just a tune. Just don't count on anyone being able to repeat the results independently.

Last edited by TheSt|G; 08-13-2014 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 04:14 PM   #200
Soccs
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 125i, Mini GP

Have ever consider to do a leak down test?
I had a very similar problem with my my mini, using data logging from bytetronik, same software as evolve but a bit more complex. They actually do a specific tune for you car reading your logs from a FA. I had so many issues with the file, o2 sensor burning... Months, also starting to blame their file. I payed for a representative from bytetronik to come to Portugal and see the car for him self... I had my engine head broken in 18 places! New thumper head! And a happy 280hp mini user!
I think evolve and other companies should do like bytetronik does. Do a health check on your car first, make sure all is in order and then start the flash. Because sometimes the car has a problem, but it doesn't detect any issues after a software or hardware is implemented.
Try to do a leak down test or a simple compression test.
I know how you feel! I had 4 months of hell! Changing all magical parts! And in the end, I ended up with a brand new car lol
My 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 08:04 PM   #201
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccs View Post
Have ever consider to do a leak down test?
I had a very similar problem with my my mini, using data logging from bytetronik, same software as evolve but a bit more complex. They actually do a specific tune for you car reading your logs from a FA. I had so many issues with the file, o2 sensor burning... Months, also starting to blame their file. I payed for a representative from bytetronik to come to Portugal and see the car for him self... I had my engine head broken in 18 places! New thumper head! And a happy 280hp mini user!
I think evolve and other companies should do like bytetronik does. Do a health check on your car first, make sure all is in order and then start the flash. Because sometimes the car has a problem, but it doesn't detect any issues after a software or hardware is implemented.
Try to do a leak down test or a simple compression test.
I know how you feel! I had 4 months of hell! Changing all magical parts! And in the end, I ended up with a brand new car lol
My 2 cents.
Car had less than 37,000 miles on it and never had an issue prior to Evolve/S.S. install. After flashing back to factory DME calibrations I am getting issues with sensor 1 in both banks now.

I believe the pistons, rings, valve seals, & head gasket are fine so I really see no need for a leak down test at the moment, thanks for the suggestion though. The problem I was having is the tune was running rich. Evolve claimed they didn't touch the fuel, then came back later and said they did. Hopefully your transaction with that company goes better than mine.

They declined my request for a refund, since I had a hardware issue after 9+ months of usage with their product, I'm eating the loss and going with A.A. I and several other people are still convinced it was the tune. After their requests for data logging and other situations described in this thread I thought it best to just move on.

Last edited by MarkkyyMan; 08-18-2014 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 05:30 PM   #202
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkkyyMan View Post
Car had less than 37,000 miles on it and never had an issue prior to Evolve/S.S. install. After flashing back to factory DME calibrations I am getting issues with sensor 1 in both banks now.

I believe the pistons, rings, valve seals, & head gasket are fine so I really see no need for a leak down test at the moment, thanks for the suggestion though. The problem I was having is the tune was running rich. Evolve claimed they didn't touch the fuel, then came back later and said they did. Hopefully your transaction with that company goes better than mine.

They declined my request for a refund, since I had a hardware issue after 9+ months of usage with their product, I'm eating the loss and going with A.A. I and several other people are still convinced it was the tune. After their requests for data logging and other situations described in this thread I thought it best to just move on.
Replace the O2, run it again.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 08:17 PM   #203
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Replace the O2, run it again.
Running an A.A. tune now, no more Evolve. I will not waste anymore time or money with them, my biggest mistake was not walking away much sooner.

Last edited by MarkkyyMan; 08-26-2014 at 08:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 12:08 PM   #204
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6SPD E82

Quote:
Running an A.A. tune now, no more Evolve. I will not waste anymore time or money with them, my biggest mistake was not walking away much sooner.
So are there any problems with the aa tune now? Or there isn't just because they shut the o2 sensor off for no codes? Or you just never replaced the sensor? Lol if you had 02 fail the. Replace it and run the tune again it's that easy. User error
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 01:10 PM   #205
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobeballer96 View Post
So are there any problems with the aa tune now? Or there isn't just because they shut the o2 sensor off for no codes? Or you just never replaced the sensor? Lol if you had 02 fail the. Replace it and run the tune again it's that easy. User error
I replaced both precat 02 sensors, that is what displayed having problems.

The 02 sensors functioned fine with no heater code issues for 9 months. Only on that last incomplete tune from Evolve did it display issues. See earlier posts for more details.

Car only has about 300 miles on the A.A. tune so far and it runs great. *knock on wood*

Last edited by MarkkyyMan; 08-27-2014 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 01:41 PM   #206
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6SPD E82

Quote:
I replaced both precat 02 sensors, that is what displayed having problems.

The 02 sensors functioned fine with no heater code issues for 9 months. Only on that last incomplete tune from Evolve did it display issues. See earlier posts for more details.

Car only has about 300 miles on the A.A. tune so far and it runs great. *knock on wood*
well im just glad you finally have a car the functions and runs like its suppose to with a tune!
Appreciate 0