BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-17-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Retrofitting a 1M or M3 Steering Rack

Does anyone know what exactly is involved in doing this? I've tried researching part numbers etc but I've gotten a little stuck due to my limited knowledge of all things mechanical.

I know that definitely the entire rack and tie rods would need to be replaced, but what about the lower column joint assembly, power steering pump/pulley and hydro steering oil pipes?

The power steering fluid reservoir is the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 02:17 AM   #2
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Why do you want to do that?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 02:25 AM   #3
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

The stock 135i steering rack sucks the balls. It's so damn slow. I'd prefer the 1M/M3 rack which is faster and won't require me to take my hands off the wheel so often just to make it around a moderate bend.

I drove a 2004 corolla just today and the rack on that was faster and more enjoyable than on my 135i lol... I prefer fast steering racks like those on MX-5's or 350/370z's.

I haven't driven a 1M or M3 yet but I'd be happy with anything that's faster than the stock rack.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

From what ive read its just bolt on, just need rack and tie rods. I was able to find some rebuilt units for $800
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

It is possible to make it more quick by coding it
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

^^ Impossible. U can change steering effort but the amount of steering wheel turns to wheel angle is mechanical and locked in.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Frrop - you should contact Harold at HP-Autowerks. I think he has done one 135i to 1M rack conversion. At least he told me he had a customer that wanted to have him do it. I bet Harold would know whats what.

Rimas no amount of coding will help on a mechanical part. Now maybe IF we have EPS(electro power steering) coding would work!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #8
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i View Post
From what ive read its just bolt on, just need rack and tie rods. I was able to find some rebuilt units for $800
If that's the case that would be awesome. I did find some on eBay in Germany for around that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Frrop - you should contact Harold at HP-Autowerks. I think he has done one 135i to 1M rack conversion. At least he told me he had a customer that wanted to have him do it. I bet Harold would know whats what.
!
Thanks a lot Dack. I'll send him a message and see what's what. Definitely wouldn't want to buy a rack only to find out I'll need to change almost everything else do with the steering...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 02:38 AM   #9
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Rimas no amount of coding will help on a mechanical part. Now maybe IF we have EPS(electro power steering) coding would work!
But how in that case active steering works?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
But how in that case active steering works?
Most 135i's did not come with Active steering. It was an $1K option. And I do not think active steering was an electronic system anyways.

I really do not know exactly how it works. But I do know Active steering boosts(makes the wheel angle move more (faster) the lock to lock ratio at slower speeds while making the steering ratio slower at higher speeds.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Most 135i's did not come with Active steering. It was an $1K option. And I do not think active steering was an electronic system anyways.

I really do not know exactly how it works. But I do know Active steering boosts(makes the wheel angle move more (faster) the lock to lock ratio at slower speeds while making the steering ratio slower at higher speeds.
Active steering has a different column I reckon judging by the blurb on it on the BMW website, but the same rack.

From BMW website.....

The optional Active Steering system adjusts the steering ratio to the car's speed - for greater driving comfort, faithful cornering and maximum agility. At low speeds, for example, it requires just two turns of the wheel from lock to lock. At higher speeds, it then increases the steering ratio to guarantee flawless forward progress. Active Steering also countersteers automatically if the BMW 1 Series Coupé threatens to skid when cornering or braking.

At the heart of the new Active Steering system is the planetary gear set integrated into the steering column. An electric motor in the joint adjusts the front wheels' steering angle in proportion to the Sedan's current speed.
When driving at lower speeds - such as in city traffic, when parking or on winding mountain roads, Active Steering increases the size of the steering angle. The front wheels respond immediately to small movements of the steering wheel, enabling the driver to manoeuvre through tight spaces without needing to make multiple turns of the steering wheel. Parking is easier and agility enhanced.
At medium speeds, steering is also easier. And to ensure smoothness at higher speeds, as of around 120 to 140 km/h (depending on the model) Active Steering becomes more indirect.
Active Steering therefore reduces the amount of change in the steering angle for every movement of the steering wheel. This gives the driver the advantage of more precise steering at higher speeds, and ensures great stability and more comfort.
If the vehicle is threatened with instability, such as by oversteering or braking on a changeable surface, DSC identifies the problem and can use Active Steering to help overcome it. For example, in order to reduce unsafe yaw, Active Steering can increase the angle of steering wheels faster than even the most expert driver.
Active Steering does not interrupt the direct connection between steering wheel and front wheels, so that even in the unlikely event of a complete failure of the electronic systems, the BMW remains completely controllable at all times. This is because at the first sign of any problems, an adaptation mechanism blocks the Active Steering immediately using a pivot so that the driver is permanently in control of the situation.
      06-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
Active steering has a different column I reckon judging by the blurb on it on the BMW website, but the same rack.

From BMW website.....

The racks are totally different between hydraulic(standard PS) and ACTIVE STEERING (AFS).

http://realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?mo...22&hg=32&fg=10
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #13
SHeap
Rep
Drives: BSM N54 135i

Would that explain the difference between these 2 parts then?

12 reg 1M steering column lower joint assembly -

07 reg 135i steering column lower joint assembly -

Theoretically then it's just a case of swapping the rack...

Just checked all hydro steering oil pipes look t be exactly the same across 1m and 135i only differing items are power steering pumps...

Last edited by SHeap; 06-19-2013 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #14
skyscraper_g80
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
I'm interested in doing this too, I think the steering in our cars is too slow by todays standards at nearly 3 turns lock to lock.

froop- keep us updated with any progress
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #15
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Does anyone know what exactly is involved in doing this? I've tried researching part numbers etc but I've gotten a little stuck due to my limited knowledge of all things mechanical.

I know that definitely the entire rack and tie rods would need to be replaced, but what about the lower column joint assembly, power steering pump/pulley and hydro steering oil pipes?

The power steering fluid reservoir is the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
this was asked elsewhere not long ago hah

tie rod ends are identical between M and non-m, so that bolts on, however the steering rack side is not, which is pretty much what you said

the rest (pumps etc.) are all the same.. can confirm via realoem.

it's a relatively common mod on E46, and it all straight bolts on
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 02:06 AM   #16
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Here is very good explanation how it works

I dont know how exactly normal standart rack works, but I know that when you retrofit ZCP option for E46 M3 you have to do coding for the steering rack.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 04:03 AM   #17
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post

I dont know how exactly normal standart rack works, but I know that when you retrofit ZCP option for E46 M3 you have to do coding for the steering rack.
probably something to do with the steering angle sensor

wheels would be at different angles vs steering wheel rotation

that would be the only electrical system to care that i know of.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 05:33 AM   #18
SHeap
Rep
Drives: BSM N54 135i

As a sensor though surely it wouldn't matter where the wheel is in comparison the steering wheel?

So long as all is installed straight, tyres facing forward steering wheel central, then the sensor would pick up when the wheels are on full lock etc and work like normal?

I'm not overly 'up' on the job of the sensor but...

I could see it being an issue if you were to up the ratio I.e put a 135i rack on a 1m as you'll be increasing the number of turns to full lock and that may do some funny things with the sensor but reducing the ratio shouldn't make any difference you'll be at full lock after say 2 turns not 3.

Only one way to find out though...

I may be able to source a second hand steering rack and will see what's involved in the swap...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 07:32 AM   #19
crex
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i, Jeep wrangler

Any updates on this? I would be interested in doing this as well if it is not too costly.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #20
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Any updates on this? I would be interested in doing this as well if it is not too costly.
I asked Harold and although he said he hadn't actually done it yet, he inferred that it wasn't a simple straight swap of the steering rack. As for what else is required I'm not sure but it's probably quite a big job unfortunately
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #21
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
What are the part numbers that we are talking about.

I could find only parts common to all e82

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #22
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
What are the part numbers that we are talking about.

I could find only parts common to all e82
You'd need to compare the part numbers on an E82 135 vs E82 1M vs E9x M3.

Also, you need to make sure all of the parts are for the normal steering, not the active steering.

The part's that I've found are different are listed on the OP. I haven't gone so far as to document all the different part numbers etc. I think it is something that unfortunately will probably be too complicated and expensive to be worthwhile.
Appreciate 0