BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-30-2010, 07:57 AM   #155
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mineo77 View Post
PROcede V5 will have a great fix for this
hell yea it will! the spark retard based traction control system is going to be fun to try out!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 08:57 AM   #156
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
hell yea it will! the spark retard based traction control system is going to be fun to try out!
I assume this is a function you can enable and disable at will?

I'm trying to pick up as much info as i can on this unit.

I put my summer wheels on last night because i need them for fender rolling to be done, and it's just teasing me so much.... car looks super mean, and it's giving me more itch to get all the parts in my living room onto my car.... I just really want to wait for my next service on the car before i throw any and all toys on...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 09:20 AM   #157
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
I assume this is a function you can enable and disable at will?

I'm trying to pick up as much info as i can on this unit.

I put my summer wheels on last night because i need them for fender rolling to be done, and it's just teasing me so much.... car looks super mean, and it's giving me more itch to get all the parts in my living room onto my car.... I just really want to wait for my next service on the car before i throw any and all toys on...
yes, with the procede, you can enable or disable almost everything via usb cable. i've tweeked my v4 around a little, but there's still much more i can do. when the v5 is released shortly, i'll probably update to that, try out n/a mode and the spark retard traction control. it'll be interesting to see how the car responds to the traction control, i can't stand dtc/dsc
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 09:22 AM   #158
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
yes, with the procede, you can enable or disable almost everything via usb cable. i've tweeked my v4 around a little, but there's still much more i can do. when the v5 is released shortly, i'll probably update to that, try out n/a mode and the spark retard traction control. it'll be interesting to see how the car responds to the traction control, i can't stand dtc/dsc
agreed, I just do my old trick that i used to do in my subaru to avoid wheel spin, go casually to about 20mph, then shift to second, then feed the throttle in.

but when it's cold, even in second gear i get wheel spin in this car where my subaru wouldn't. at least it's a more controled wheel spin.

any word on the release date of V5?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #159
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
agreed, I just do my old trick that i used to do in my subaru to avoid wheel spin, go casually to about 20mph, then shift to second, then feed the throttle in.

but when it's cold, even in second gear i get wheel spin in this car where my subaru wouldn't. at least it's a more controled wheel spin.

any word on the release date of V5?
i read it's coming up in the first of december (5th i think?). check out procedetuning.com, they have new specials on procedes, that will ship with v5 firmware
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 11:30 AM   #160
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
up for more questions about tunes, exhausts, meth, etc etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 09:48 PM   #161
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
holy fawk this place is overrun with pointless threads. plz ask general tune/exhaust/meth/limp mode/etc questions here
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 01:02 AM   #162
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Do you know anyone that has the AR resonated catless downpipes? I've searched and searched and can't find anyone that has these already. I'm keen to hear reviews and sound clips of them.

I'd like to know how much of a sound difference there is than the standard AR catless. My guess is they aren't too popular due to the price but it seems like a brilliant concept.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 07:56 AM   #163
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Do you know anyone that has the AR resonated catless downpipes? I've searched and searched and can't find anyone that has these already. I'm keen to hear reviews and sound clips of them.

I'd like to know how much of a sound difference there is than the standard AR catless. My guess is they aren't too popular due to the price but it seems like a brilliant concept.
they do make resonated dp's. they're about the price of catted dp's, and they're not on the ar design website. you have to PM ar design for more info. i've heard a set of resonated dp's and they sound pretty sick. it was a full catless exhaust but the normal "rasp" wasn't there; it was deep and it growled ridiculously
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #164
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep
Drives: Ordered: 2023 G80 M3 6MT

OK back on exhaust..

Im thinking Berk.. but why are most exhausts so much more expensive than berk? CP-E is 1400 where as Berk is 800? BMW PE is around 900 but is that axelback and midpipes?

Now onto MAF!

How easy of a DIY is it to clean the MAF? I haven't fully tested because of work but I'm feeling like over time I lost torque with the HPA Foam filter.. I could be wrong but in case Its true and I want to go back to stock how hard is it to get to this sensor?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 04:43 PM   #165
Das Ein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Audi TTS, '17 500 Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDfranklin View Post
OK back on exhaust..

Im thinking Berk.. but why are most exhausts so much more expensive than berk? CP-E is 1400 where as Berk is 800? BMW PE is around 900 but is that axelback and midpipes?

Now onto MAF!

How easy of a DIY is it to clean the MAF? I haven't fully tested because of work but I'm feeling like over time I lost torque with the HPA Foam filter.. I could be wrong but in case Its true and I want to go back to stock how hard is it to get to this sensor?

The 128i/135i dosent have a MAF...it uses MAP. No need to worry about cleaning.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 04:51 PM   #166
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Ein View Post
The 128i/135i dosent have a MAF...it uses MAP. No need to worry about cleaning.
I was under the impression the n55 had a MAF
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 07:50 AM   #167
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I was under the impression the n55 had a MAF
you're correct, the n55 does use a MAF. as far as cleaning it, try just putting the stock filter back on and putting some miles on the car. if that doesn't help, try this

^those instructions are for a vw, but it should be universal on how to clean the MAF
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 07:51 AM   #168
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
OK back on exhaust..

cp-e can be had for around $1100-1200, just PM ar design. the bmw p.e. is $850-900 for an axle back and a small resonator delete section. waste of money IMO unless you just care about sound. if you want more power from an exhaust, you want a dp-back exhaust like berk or cp-e. or hold off for the HPF exhaust, that's going to be killer
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #169
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep

Quote:
cp-e can be had for around $1100-1200, just PM ar design. the bmw p.e. is $850-900 for an axle back and a small resonator delete section. waste of money IMO unless you just care about sound. if you want more power from an exhaust, you want a dp-back exhaust like berk or cp-e. or hold off for the HPF exhaust, that's going to be killer

Well power is always a plus, but I know downpipes will void my warranty, so I was thinking just midpipes and axle back. With just midpipes and axle does it make a difference, won't I only see minimal gains regardless of brand?

ETA on HPF?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #170
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep

Quote:
you're correct, the n55 does use a MAF. as far as cleaning it, try just putting the stock filter back on and putting some miles on the car. if that doesn't help, try this

^those instructions are for a vw, but it should be universal on how to clean the MAF

Thanks, I have to bring my car in so im going to throw the stocker back on anyways. Where is the MAF located on the n55?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #171
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Well power is always a plus, but I know downpipes will void my warranty, so I was thinking just midpipes and axle back. With just midpipes and axle does it make a difference, won't I only see minimal gains regardless of brand?

ETA on HPF?
with a real cat back system on a turbo car, you should see very decent gains, especially if you have a tune.

it's on naturally aspirated cars that gains don't tend to be very notable.

performance exhaust gains are minimal because it's basically the same setup as the stock muffler.

another area that an aftermarket exhaust will be helpfull, is weight saving, so yes, you will gain some HP, but you'll also lose some excess weight from the car, which is priceless.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #172
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep

Quote:
with a real cat back system on a turbo car, you should see very decent gains, especially if you have a tune.

it's on naturally aspirated cars that gains don't tend to be very notable.

performance exhaust gains are minimal because it's basically the same setup as the stock muffler.

another area that an aftermarket exhaust will be helpfull, is weight saving, so yes, you will gain some HP, but you'll also lose some excess weight from the car, which is priceless.

Does a "real" cat back system include downpipes?

I know we have downpipes, midpipes and axleback. Most of these websites that are selling the exhaust aren't very specific in what you are getting. I know the downpipe is considered a serious modification for a turbo car, and im trying to stay away from that to hold onto my warranty. So my only options are midpipes + axleback or just axleback.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 10:08 AM   #173
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Does a "real" cat back system include downpipes?

I know we have downpipes, midpipes and axleback. Most of these websites that are selling the exhaust aren't very specific in what you are getting. I know the downpipe is considered a serious modification for a turbo car, and im trying to stay away from that to hold onto my warranty. So my only options are midpipes + axleback or just axleback.
No, the Cat-back starts at the back of the downpipes.
the "cat" in cat-back stands for Catalytic converters if that helps. This system can also be referred to as a "down-pipe back" when in use on a turbo car.

a system that includes the downpipes will be called a "turbo back" as it starts at the back of the turbo and replaces everything after it. The turbo back will give you the best gains overall. However, you will be messing with emission controls if you go that route.

the "Cat-back/down-pipe back" for your N55 powered car will not mess with any emission controls (you're lucky as the n54 would)

so in order of best gains;
1, turbo back (will void warranty if part is found to be cause of a problem)

2, cat-back/down-pipe back (not likely to void warranty, but some dealers are ass holes, if so, be prepared to fight, though this is rare that they are like that.)

3, axle back (not likely to void warranty, but some dealers are ass holes, if so, be prepared to fight, though this is rare that they are like that.)

and yes, a "real" cat-back/down-pipe back will be your mid pipes and axle back replaced

It sounds like what you are looking for, for your car, is a cat-back/down-pipe back system as it will yield the most power and likely better sound without drastically changing anything that might void warranty.

Last edited by The1; 12-03-2010 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #174
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
^thanks The1

also, a catback is often called a downpipe-back exhaust (dp-back) on turbo cars
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 10:40 AM   #175
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep

Quote:
No, the Cat-back starts at the back of the downpipes.
the "cat" in cat-back stands for Catalytic converters if that helps.

a system that includes the downpipes will be called a "turbo back" as it starts at the back of the turbo and replaces everything after it. The turbo back will give you the best gains overall. However, you will be messing with emission controls if you go that route.

the "Cat-back" for your N55 powered car will not mess with any emission controls (you're lucky as the n54 would)

so in order of best gains;
1, turbo back (will void warranty if part is found to be cause of a problem)

2, cat-back (not likely to void warranty, but some dealers are ass holes, if so, be prepared to fight, though this is rare that they are like that.)

3, axle back (not likely to void warranty, but some dealers are ass holes, if so, be prepared to fight, though this is rare that they are like that.)

and yes, a "real" cat-back will be your mid pipes and axle back replaced

It sounds like what you are looking for, for your car, is a cat-back system as it will yield the most power and likely better sound without drastically changing anything that might void warranty.

Much thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 11:13 AM   #176
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
^thanks The1

also, a catback is often called a downpipe-back exhaust (dp-back) on turbo cars
I'll ad that to my other post.