BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #1
Beach
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135I

Where should I begin?

Hey guys I have been looking around the forum for the last few months to try and determine what direction I should start making modifications. To give you a run down I use to own a E46 M3 with Dinan intake, BBS Rs-GT 19" wheels, Brembo Brake kit front and rear, and Eisenmann exhaust. I loved the way the car handled and sounded. I have been driving my 135 for a month now and it needs a little help. B/c it has the N55 I know I will have to wait for more performance parts to get on the market. So I guess it will be cosmetic/suspension items I am looking for.
I most likely will not track the car maybe once a year, however I live around some great winding roads so I want something to aggressively handle these turns (my E46 handled like a dream this 135 is a little soft) but comfortable enough to DD. 19" wheel or 18" wheels? 255 or 265 in the back?

Thanks for your opinions.
2011 135I sport package DCT
Black with tan interior and the windows are tinted.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I think you should look into BMW's Performance suspension. And maybe even some of the M3 bits like control arms, front sway bar and rear subframe bushings. In that order. Many 135i owners have done this. I am planning on doing it next year. :
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach View Post
Hey guys I have been looking around the forum for the last few months to try and determine what direction I should start making modifications. To give you a run down I use to own a E46 M3 with Dinan intake, BBS Rs-GT 19" wheels, Brembo Brake kit front and rear, and Eisenmann exhaust. I loved the way the car handled and sounded. I have been driving my 135 for a month now and it needs a little help. B/c it has the N55 I know I will have to wait for more performance parts to get on the market. So I guess it will be cosmetic/suspension items I am looking for.
I most likely will not track the car maybe once a year, however I live around some great winding roads so I want something to aggressively handle these turns (my E46 handled like a dream this 135 is a little soft) but comfortable enough to DD. 19" wheel or 18" wheels? 255 or 265 in the back?

If you're looking to get better handling, braking, acceleration, steering, and don't want to make them worse, then stick with 18's. 19's add weight and the tires even more so.
Adding unsprung weight takes away from those things mentioned above.
They may add a bit to the looks, but they'll take away overall performance.

Added unsprung weight has negative effects on acceleration due to increased mass. This mass also negatively affects braking and handling, and decreased steering response.

Wider rubber could add some benefit, but it depends on the tire too.
Some tires list a wider number, but it may not increase the contact patch.

I think you're on the right path with upgrading the suspension first, then tweak it with tires, and sway bars, once you get the suspension dialed in.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 09:04 PM   #4
Beach
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
If you're looking to get better handling, braking, acceleration, steering, and don't want to make them worse, then stick with 18's. 19's add weight and the tires even more so.
Adding unsprung weight takes away from those things mentioned above.
They may add a bit to the looks, but they'll take away overall performance.

Added unsprung weight has negative effects on acceleration due to increased mass. This mass also negatively affects braking and handling, and decreased steering response.

Wider rubber could add some benefit, but it depends on the tire too.
Some tires list a wider number, but it may not increase the contact patch.

I think you're on the right path with upgrading the suspension first, then tweak it with tires, and sway bars, once you get the suspension dialed in.
Do you think the unsprung weight from 18s to 19s is going to be much. I mean, most of the wheels I have looked into Advan RS, VMR 701s/710s seem that I would still be in a better position than keeping the OEM 18s I have. I might be wrong but comparing the same wheel in 18s to 19s it should only be a pound maybe two difference. Am I wrong? Or are you thinking the weight in tires...as I will be moving away from RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Fear not!

The release of the N55 tunes are literally right around the corner. As for suspension items and cosmetic items, I would start with wheels and a drop. Get the major cosmetic items out of the way and you'll be enjoying your 1 Series that much more!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I think you should look into BMW's Performance suspension. And maybe even some of the M3 bits like control arms, front sway bar and rear subframe bushings. In that order. Many 135i owners have done this. I am planning on doing it next year. :
Bull's-eye, except you might as well do it all at once.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
Beach
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I will def. be doing the M3 portions however I don't know if I am sold on BMW performance suspension for the price. I can some pretty good coilovers for around $1500. Whats your opinion on Coilovers vs. BMW performance besides being able to keep my suspension warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s II View Post
Fear not!

The release of the N55 tunes are literally right around the corner. As for suspension items and cosmetic items, I would start with wheels and a drop. Get the major cosmetic items out of the way and you'll be enjoying your 1 Series that much more!
Any recommendations between staying with 18s or going to 19s? Also any recommendations on a wheel...not trying to spend what I did on my BBS rs-gt's.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 07:15 AM   #8
seslait
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135I

Quote:
I will def. be doing the M3 portions however I don't know if I am sold on BMW performance suspension for the price. I can some pretty good coilovers for around $1500. Whats your opinion on Coilovers vs. BMW performance besides being able to keep my suspension warranty.

Any recommendations between staying with 18s or going to 19s? Also any recommendations on a wheel...not trying to spend what I did on my BBS rs-gt's.
If you are looking for affordable wheels that will look great on your 135I VMR is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #9
Atropos
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i coupe

Quote:
New rims, from a performance perspective, would be the last improvement on the list in terms of bang for the buck.

Yes, lighter rims certainly will help the car in several different ways, but you're going to notice the bigger improvements by going with really good tires, and the suspension upgrades first.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

There are so many choices out there!

The best thing to do is give us a call at (714) 582-3330 x 8004 and we'll let you know all of your choices and there's always something to fit everyone's needs!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 03:37 PM   #11
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Search this forum for pictures and comments on various wheels. Also check the vendor feedback forum before buying any Kool-aid.
      09-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #12
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:

I've got KW V2's and the M3 front sway bar. The Performance suspension was out of the question due to the price. I spent more on the V2's than I would have liked but in the end I am very happy with the improvement in handling. I also like being able to adjust the settings as well as the height if I ever need to. I recommend them over the Performance suspension as I think they're better value and a great mod.

In regards to your wheel dilemma, I currently have 18 inch CSL wheels and also plan to upgrade to 19s. I must admit, I think the 18 inch is the perfect compromise for performance, daily driving and looks. Also, the tyres are a bit cheaper for the 18 inch size as well. However, I am on the group buy for the 19 inch SF71. I am aware that these wheels will give me no advantage in terms of performance or comfort as a daily driver but I'm prepared to compromise some of these things for the looks. That's just me though, everyone is different.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #13
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I've got KW V2's and the M3 front sway bar. The Performance suspension was out of the question due to the price. I spent more on the V2's than I would have ...
I'm confused; the PS was about 1200 shipped from Dan@United, and that includes the front sway. From what I can see, the KW V2s are around 1500, and that's just the coilover setup - no sway. How was the PS out of the question due to price for you?
Appreciate 0