02-26-2013, 04:54 AM   #45
edwardio
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW 1M COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1mc View Post
1 drive my 1M every single day. Take it work, shopping centers where ever I damn well please!

I brought the car. The car did not buy me!!! It's now got 11,000kms and just keeps getting better!

Enjoy your car don't be afraid to get a scratch on it, fender bender. Anything can fixed
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #46
1MSPEEDY
Can't wait for spring!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M, 135 M-Sport

Garage List
Talking Just a suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Here is my dilemma...
The 1M is an incredible ride. But because I'm a ninny, I don't drive it when there is salt on the roads, the weather is bad (rain, etc), or the weather might turn bad. That leaves like 8 days a year to drive it here in Chicago Ok, kidding - sort of (I put 1,200 miles on the car in the last year).
I'm also paranoid about the car. I realize it is "just a car" but every time I get in it I worry that if I wreck it, the insurance company is not going to be able to get me a new one.
So it sits in my garage.
I will say that when I do drive it, I love the torque, I love the sound, I love the way the car "feels". Except I'm one of the few who simply can't stand the fact that it does not have a sunroof. Drives me nuts.
Enter the 335is...
While I could get a used one, I probably would order one. It would have the color I want (Blue!) as well as the options I want (yea, I'm an active steering kind of guy - if you lived where I do, you would understand). The price would probably be zero out of pocket right now as well (the 335is would begin its immediate drop in value, whereas the 1M will probably hold its value much better).
However, I could drive it. I could drive it in the rain and heck, even today when it is 30 degrees out and there is salt on the streets.
How crazy am I to be considering this?
You need to do what I did. Since I store the car all winter and like to keep it reasonably clean (BSM), I found a low kilometre 2008 135i M-Sport. Now My wife is happy with the new ride and I am not forced to spend 2 hours cleaning my car afetr being caught in the rain:-) It is a small price to pay for being a Ninny;-)
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 05:41 AM   #47
bmw1mc
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardio
Quote:
1 drive my 1M every single day. Take it work, shopping centers where ever I damn well please!

I brought the car. The car did not buy me!!! It's now got 11,000kms and just keeps getting better!

Enjoy your car don't be afraid to get a scratch on it, fender bender. Anything can fixed
Once you akra and a tune it's simply stunning. Seriously for the money I can't think of a better daily driver with this level of performance!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #48
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Quote:
.....The issue is the 1M and the "sunny weekends" of which there are three of them here in Chicago........
Dilemma solved..... move from Chicago!!!!
      02-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #49
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Thank you all

I'll make this short (not)

Redadair - I am sorry if I came off as an ass - did not mean to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3takesNYC View Post
I may be way off base but why not grab a used e9x m3?
Torque - I need torque. My drive is a lot of 0-30-0. Even my M5 was a bit of a drag compared to my 550. The 1M is wonderful here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maupineda View Post
I think that if heavy steering is a concern then the 1M is not is not for the OE, or probably any true sports car.
The 1M does not have heavy steering. I thought it would, but it is nothing compared to a stock E90/92/93 335. I'm not alone in this - look at the other posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXmtrhed View Post
The two cars couldn't be more different; the 1M smaller and much more agile, the 335 was more powerful yet heavier and softer. I am very glad I made the switch with absolutely no regrets.
Thank you, Thank you very much!
(emoticon courtesy of my son)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
The Bad
  • Steering - Much, much heavier than the 1M. Also the lock-to-lock seems to take a bajillion turns and seems glacially slow after the quick and precise 1M wheel.
  • Ride - I'm sure this could be somewhat alleviated by putting some decent tires on instead of the horrible OEM run-flats but the ride is very hard. There is none of the firm but pliant ride you get in the 1M. On the plus side, a friend who took a ride in it mentioned that it was a lot more comfy than her Genesis Coupe! That Hyundai must have concrete shocks.
  • Handling - Not as sharp. There isn't that immediate willingness to respond to the driver's input. It's almost like the car takes a moment to think if it should do what I want it do while the 1M just says 'fuck it, let's do this!' Also see 'steering'
  • Acceleration - With the DCT, there isn't a discernible difference between 0-n times on the road. There is, however, a huge difference to me in seat-of-the-pants feel. The 1M is very impressive in 2nd and 3rd and through-the-gears acceleration, the 335is is more sedate and nowhere near as brutal.
  • Cupholder - This must be the dumbest cupholder design in history. I say this as a B5 Audi owner who's cupholder cannot even hold a full sized coffee mug.

The good
  • The sound - It's glorious. This is what the 1M should have sounded like from the factory.
  • Looks - It's a great looking car. Doesn't have the same road presence as the 1M but it is prettier with better proportions
  • Interior quality - Slightly better interior except for the retarded cup holder.
Interesting, very interesting. I'm shocked to hear that the 335is has a better sounding exhaust. I thought the 1M was just perfect. I also forgot about the runflats on the 335 - when I had a 335 as a loaner way back when, I could not believe how hard the thing rode and/or took potholes. I can't believe the windshield didn't crack and/or a rim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardio View Post
will give you goose pimples huh haha
Loved this video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
Dilemma solved..... move from Chicago!!!!
I wish. Family keeps me here and they are wonderful, even if the weather is bad. I should add that we took a vote in my house about keeping the 1M vs. getting the 335is. Was my wife, 9 year old boy and 11 year old girl. 3-0 in favor of keeping the 1M. Family...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #50
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:

I wish. Family keeps me here and they are wonderful, even if the weather is bad. I should add that we took a vote in my house about keeping the 1M vs. getting the 335is. Was my wife, 9 year old boy and 11 year old girl. 3-0 in favor of keeping the 1M. Family...
Sounds like a great family. I would keep them too!
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #51
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Quote:

Redadair - I am sorry if I came off as an ass - did not mean to.
Doug, no worries at all. I hope you reach the decision that make you happiest.

I find my 1M to be the best BMW ever at least to me and I have owned a bunch over the years. As we all know the 1M was the brain child of Dr Kay Segler and the M Group's engineers to go back to it's roots and build a no nonsense M car with the E30 M3 as it's inspiration. In doing so they convinced the heads of BMW of a market for a smaller more nimble M car below the current M3.

I view the 1M as a car that is as close as it gets to being a one off M car. With only 740 units to the USA it will remain one of the lowest production BMW imports here ever. I completely understand the feelings about possibly wrecking these cars without the possibility of a new replacement. These are some of the very reasons that the 1M's are in such great demand and are still demanding Full Retail plus on the used market. Not many cars ever fall into this category.

BMW is currently working on the Successor to the 1M aptly named the 2M, a brand new name and fully engineered car which will most likely sell very well for BMW. As good as this car promises to be it will never replace the fact that only 740 1M's made it to the USA. The M2 will be sold as fast as orders can be placed and the car will be sold over several years just like all other M cars from the past have.

Good luck with your decision.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles

Last edited by Redadair; 03-01-2013 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 03:20 AM   #52
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
I think you would be crazy to sell your 1M.

You have a capable daily driver (X6) when the Chicago weather is adverse. And when the weather is nice, you have arguably the the best thing to come out of Garching since the e46 M3.

My 1M sits tucked away in the garage for five months a year, so I can understand questioning the rationale for keeping such an infrequently driven car (regardless, I still wouldn't ever part with the 1M!). Yet, the inability to drive the 1M everyday only adds to the pleasure of the whole driving experience. Just like sex and food, novelty serves to heighten desire.

I drive a tuned 335xi (ECU, DPs & coilovers) during the winter. Great winter car. But it is big, heavy, somewhat unresponsive and the driving experience simply doesn't compare to that of the 1M. Trading in the 1M for something with a comparable driving experience like a Cayman R might make some sense, but I suspect you would ultimately regret giving up your 1M for the relatively mundane 335is.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 04:55 AM   #53
bmw1mc
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe

Dude seriously, go to wherever you 1///M is parked and look at it. Just look at it. If just by looking at it you don't want to drive it then sell it. It's not what you really want.

Me every time I go down to garage and I look I want hop in and drive its freaken tits off!!! That's just me.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 05:35 AM   #54
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Dude seriously, go to wherever you 1///M is parked and look at it. Just look at it. If just by looking at it you don't want to drive it then sell it. It's not what you really want.

Me every time I go down to garage and I look I want hop in and drive its freaken tits off!!! That's just me.
If I want to look at things I go to a museum.

You're not alone mate.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #55
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33

Sounds like a great family. I would keep them too!
LOL!!
Appreciate 0