BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-18-2014, 12:07 AM   #1
thezone135i
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Volvo S60 R-Design Polestar

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Cracked Windscreen After market or OEM?

Hey fellas,

Got a cracked windscreen and my insurance company RAA will pay for 1 free windscreen per year but only an aftermarket one. Anyone have any experience with aftermarket v oem?

I have been recommended to go to Prestige windscreens (not Prestige Worldwide) who have a good rep for euro windscreen replacement and they said they usually get asked to do aftermarket ones for insurance jobs for obvious reasons and that there's no difference except the price.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 12:54 AM   #2
Simonnn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

I havent had experience with a windscreen replacement on the 1er, but I had one replaced on my previous car and the automatic wipers didn't work well after!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 01:23 AM   #3
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i, 97 GTR VSpec

I've had two aftermarkets installed by Windscreen Obrien on the 135i, no issues at all.
      08-18-2014, 01:36 AM   #4
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94 M3, AW 1M, M2 CS

I had my windscreen replaced on the 135, but I went through the dealer and had genuine (it was excess-free so why not). The invoice cost for screen and labour was around $870 about 3 years ago.

Not sure how that compares with a non-genuine overall cost, but my understanding is the most important aspect of front screen replacement is HOW it is replaced, seeing as the windscreen forms an integral part of the body's structural rigidity. I would assume there to be little difference between screens.

Make sure the installers know what they're doing and you should be alright. The car has to sit for several hours without any body flex to allow the adhesive to set properly, so no driving!

My one-time experience
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 03:38 AM   #5
thezone135i
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Thanks guys, yeah looks like the install is the most important part, glass is glass (I hope). Looks like aftermarket is about half the price of oem.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 04:20 AM   #6
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
I elected to get an OEM replacement last week. I'm with Shannons.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 05:15 AM   #7
wht125i
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: e82 125i

I would only replace with OEM. Had an aftermarket on an e39 and the car was so much hotter after and felt like I was baking in the car in summer.

The OEM equipment has special filters etc, see here http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...indscreen.html

I found the aftermarket screen pitted quickly and was sandblasted super quickly (2 years) from highway driving which impacted clarity. I assume this means the aftermarket screens are not as hard as OEM.

Find the $ different and get OEM. The discussion is no different to buying the best tyres you can afford or brakes.
      08-18-2014, 05:15 AM   #8
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

it's pretty important to get good glass to make sure the auto rain stuff still works (not that it's fantastic in the first place...)

but free glass is free glass.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 08:20 PM   #9
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I've got aftermarket screen & auto rain/headlight module/sensor. All seems good. Just make sure you do a reset on the rain/headlight module/sensor after install. My auto wipers didn't work too well until I did this.
      08-19-2014, 09:30 PM   #10
1_dez
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1er

I've had two cracked bmw windscreens in 3 years (first time i dropped my windscreen wiper on the glass and it shattered, second was a rock that flicked up at 100kph).

First replacement was with a non-oem. Had issues with the auto wiper functionality (possibly incorrectly installed). Requested a replacement oem bmw windscreen - no issues. The OEM markings are bottom corner passenger side, if i remember correctly.

Second replacement was with an OEM model. no issues at all.

My insurer is NRMA. No additional costs paid for new OEM windscreen - just need to ask and get the authority.

Edit: i have the windscreen option ticked with full comp.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 04:21 AM   #11
thezone135i
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Thanks guys, Im with RAA and I have one free windscreen with no excess per year cover but the fine print says its only aftermarket which Im fighting with them about atm.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 06:19 PM   #12
racer_x
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: When He Has To

Hi Guys,

I've got a couple of stone chips in my windscreen and was about to call AAMI to have them fixed.

I've got windscreen and glass cover on my policy with AAMI but was wondering, if the windshield was to be replaced would they replace it with an OEM screen or an aftermarket one?

Cheers for the advice.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #13
thezone135i
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_x View Post
Hi Guys,

I've got a couple of stone chips in my windscreen and was about to call AAMI to have them fixed.

I've got windscreen and glass cover on my policy with AAMI but was wondering, if the windshield was to be replaced would they replace it with an OEM screen or an aftermarket one?

Cheers for the advice.
Google is your friend.

http://www.aami.com.au/car-insurance/policy-documents

You need to read the fine print in the pds. Mine said it was only aftermarket but I fought it and won and now they are paying $1,000 for a oem one.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 01:25 AM   #14
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Insurance companies would typically allow you to pay the difference in cover if you can't convince them to replace with OEM.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 09:29 PM   #15
racer_x
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezone135i View Post
You need to read the fine print in the pds. Mine said it was only aftermarket but I fought it and won and now they are paying $1,000 for a oem one.
According to the PDS that came with the policy:

Glass repairs
For windscreen or window glass repairs, we might use glass that is different from the original but the glass and repairs will meet Australian Design Rules.

Sounds to me like they have the right to replace the screen with an aftermarket one.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 10:36 PM   #16
Knightelf
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
According to the PDS that came with the policy:

Glass repairs
For windscreen or window glass repairs, we might use glass that is different from the original but the glass and repairs will meet Australian Design Rules.

Sounds to me like they have the right to replace the screen with an aftermarket one.
Let me know how you go. I got a decent sized stone chip on my windscreen the other day and I have the same glass cover with AAMI. I am guessing they'll use aftermarket or ask you to pay the difference...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 12:25 AM   #17
racer_x
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok.... I spoke to AAMI and Windscreens O'Brien.

AAMI's windscreen cover policy is this; if an aftermarket screen is available for your model (based on VIN search), then AAMI will only pay for an aftermarket screen.

If there are no aftermarket screens for your model, then AAMI will pay for an OEM screen.

Unfortunately, WOB have aftermarket screens for the 1-series so AAMI will not shell out for an original made by Pilkington.

If you want to have an OEM screen installed, they can still do that but it will cost an extra $460 which AAMI will not cover.

According to WOB, the aftermarket screens they use is 1mm thicker than OEM!

Not sure what to do... From the comments, it sounds like the installation process is the major factor in whether all sensors work afterwords or not.

thezone135i, how did you get RAA to make an exception in your case?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 04:42 AM   #18
thezone135i
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
I got a quote from an independent ans etn it to RAA.

Here is the email I sent to RAA

"Dear sir/madam,

In relation to my current windscreen claim I have attached a quote for supply and fitment of a genuine bmw windscreen and request that you give consideration to authorising payment for this rather than an aftermarket one due to the following reasons:

1) The genuine windscreen has rain sensors and automatic headlight sensors built in to the screen and my research indicates that the aftermarket ones are prone to failure in these areas.
2) The aftermarket windscreens are a softer glass than the genuine product and will pit more easily from airborne dirt and grit.
3) The genuine windscreen has a tint which reduces uv penetration.

I ask that you give due consideration to my request as I have been a long standing RAA member with currently 3 policies and other insurance companies offer an oem replacement for windscreens".

At the time of writing the email the independent guy who gave me the quote was called to the BMW dealer (we only have one in Adelaide) to replace an aftermarket one that didn't work with an oem one for RAA. So it was a no brainer. They authorised my request straight away.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 05:28 AM   #19
racer_x
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Much appreciated Amigo.

I've emailed them a similar missive. Let's see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 11:04 PM   #20
racer_x
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hi Guys,

I thought I'd fill you in on my experience in case someone is reading this in future.

AAMI refused to budge on the aftermarket glass. Their policy is to use OEM only when no other alternatives exist. I read them the riot act and threatened to pull my other policies, but was met with a firm yet polite NO.

O'Briens have installed the new screen and I can't really tell any diff. All sensors are working fine so far. The tech who did the install was even nice enough to find and fix a minor dashboard rattle while the screen was out.

If you want best results, best to go to their workshop than have them come to you.

The moral of the story; AAMI is cheap for a reason.

Thanks to all those who commented.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 12:14 AM   #21
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I thought I'd fill you in on my experience in case someone is reading this in future.

AAMI refused to budge on the aftermarket glass. Their policy is to use OEM only when no other alternatives exist. I read them the riot act and threatened to pull my other policies, but was met with a firm yet polite NO.

O'Briens have installed the new screen and I can't really tell any diff. All sensors are working fine so far. The tech who did the install was even nice enough to find and fix a minor dashboard rattle while the screen was out.

If you want best results, best to go to their workshop than have them come to you.

The moral of the story; AAMI is cheap for a reason.

Thanks to all those who commented.
AAMI had the same line for me but advised I could pay the difference to get OEM if I wanted. As I wrote above, I've got aftermarket screen & auto rain/headlight module/sensor. All seems good. Just make sure you do a reset on the rain/headlight module/sensor after install. My auto wipers didn't work too well until I did this.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 12:22 AM   #22
racer_x
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
AAMI had the same line for me but advised I could pay the difference to get OEM if I wanted. As I wrote above, I've got aftermarket screen & auto rain/headlight module/sensor. All seems good. Just make sure you do a reset on the rain/headlight module/sensor after install. My auto wipers didn't work too well until I did this.
Yep. I asked them to test both rain and auto headlight sensors once the new screen was on to make sure everything was OK. Just in case they missed something, how did you reset the rain sensor?

All the old US threads when I search talk of going back to the dealer.... Is there no quicker way?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0