BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
rogbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpina B12 5.0

Subtle Exterior Changes

I recently posted changes I made in the interior (Alcantara steering wheel center cover and aluminum pedals), so today I thought I would show a couple of simple subtle exterior changes I made. The first one I can not take credit for, as I believe it was Dan that first posted a picture of adding black electrical tape to the bottom of the side curtain openings in the front bumper. It is an easy and completely reversible change. Here is a couple of pictures. I think it finishes off the opening:

The other change was to paint the rear muffler. I thought it would look better to paint it high temp (1200 degree) black paint so you did not see the rear muffler, and just the tips and the diff cooler hanging down. Plus, I think it goes with the dark rear bumper piece:

I taped off the rear areas with blue painters tape, and covered the heat shield behind the muffler so there was no overspray. Both mods took less than 45 minutes total time to complete, and you do not even have to jack up the rearend to paint the muffler. The Muffler was painted with high temp black BBQ paint, which is easy to touch up if you ever need to. Total cost for the tape and paint was less than $5.00!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
spoon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 1///m

Looks great.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
Moo
Gold Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PSYWGN

Looks great.

I wonder how we can get rid of those orange turn signal lens, and replace with clear lens. Look like diseased eyes or something.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
spoon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 1///m

Moo,I woujld think you could order the euro lenz .
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Looks very clean. I also thought of taping up the front spoiler ends. What about filling in the side fender "gills"! I always thought that would make the 1M cleaner looking as well. I think doing the "side gills" with some IND blackout wide marker lights would look really killer!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
rogbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Looks very clean. I also thought of taping up the front spoiler ends. What about filling in the side fender "gills"! I always thought that would make the 1M cleaner looking as well. I think doing the "side gills" with some IND blackout wide marker lights would look really killer!
Thanks for the comments. I too thought about some blackout on the side "vents", but have not tried it out yet with tape.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Nice. I was practically shaking the can to paint my muffler when I read this. Get out of my head!
      08-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
rogbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
Nice. I was practically shaking the can to paint my muffler when I read this. Get out of my head!
Great minds think alike!
Appreciate 0