BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
kgaler
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

PS install, original parts worth saving?

PS going in on Friday. Is there any reason to keep the stock parts from the sport suspension? About 8K miles on them. Worth anything to anybody?

TIA
      09-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgaler View Post
PS going in on Friday. Is there any reason to keep the stock parts from the sport suspension? About 8K miles on them. Worth anything to anybody?

TIA
i would say no..... i was selling my sport suspension from my car (shocks, springs, and sway bar for like $1200 at first. my buddy tried to sell them later on at $600 and nobody wanted it. tried for the springs (front and back) for $200 and still no go. My suspension had 5000 miles on them.

if you find a buyer congrats. i have been trying to find one since april
      09-05-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
kgaler
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

I think you're right. I'll just chuck em.
      09-11-2011, 01:40 AM   #4
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I think you're foolish. Yes theyre stock parts, but consider what theyre worth as oem parts...these arent just some random rinky dink rusted parts off a 100k mile shit toyota.. Save them to either sell or keep to switch back to stock if you ever trade it.

Anyone who just "chucks" their stock parts after swapping for AM ones IMO is just without reason..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
I think you're foolish. Yes theyre stock parts, but consider what theyre worth as oem parts...these arent just some random rinky dink rusted parts off a 100k mile shit toyota.. Save them to either sell or keep to switch back to stock if you ever trade it.

Anyone who just "chucks" their stock parts after swapping for AM ones IMO is just without reason..
I see your point..... but so far from my perspective... nobody wants sport parts for the 1. I can see the reason why. Why would anyone upgrade to the sport suspension for the 1 series if they are going to upgrade there suspension anyway, especially if they have the non-sport model. Better just upgrade to better suspension that will give the car better handling but even better driving comfort than the sport suspension. E.I. the PS or coil-overs.

You do have a great point of keeping them to swap back if you trade in the car or sell it but as for me (and I speak for myself on this) to much of a hassle for me to do that and the parts take up space at my house that I do not have. Sure I can always get storage but that will cost me money every month. If or when I do sell my car I would just sell it they way it is modded.

Yes I know this is stupid but I am looking at the convenience factor more than anything else.
      09-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

I will keep them and sell it 20 years later for someone to restore their 135:-):-):-)
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Trust me, the value on a TRADED car will drastically go down with obviously modified parts on the car. Anything from suspension to engine parts to cosmetic parts especially. To a dealer those things make it more difficult to sell the car again to an average joe, therefore they take down the traded amount.

I dont see why someone wouldnt want to buy the msport suspension if they have a 128 or 135 without the sport package. Consider what Im asking for my setup, I figured $1200 shipped for the entire msport suspension, that includes everything, springs, shocks, control arms, tension rods, subframe bushings, sway bars and hardware. An entire setup like that with AM parts would certainly run more like $2500 and above. So anyone looking for the more economical setup with a ride thats improved on the mentioned cars above, I dont see why not.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
scott135i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
So anyone looking for the more economical setup with a ride thats improved on the mentioned cars above, I dont see why not.
Because the improvement is so marginal over non-sport. The stock suspensions, sport or not, both suck.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Still absolutely no reason to just toss em..save em from trade in or sell em to someone looking to go back to stock or upgrading their 128 suspension
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 10:34 PM   #10
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Still absolutely no reason to just toss em..save em from trade in or sell em to someone looking to go back to stock or upgrading their 128 suspension
Hmmm - I don't think you could just throw a 135i suspension on to a 128i. I mean, it would fit, but the spring rates would be wrong.

I think anyone who is going to go through all the trouble and expense of upgrading their stock suspension would be nuts to buy a used M-Sport suspension (for any amount of money, much less $1200 - I picked up Bilstein coil overs for less than that). So much effort for so little improvement.

Now, if you have plenty of storage space in your garage, I can sort of see holding on to them. Maybe - maybe - you will come across someone one day turning in their car after a lease who wants to go back to stock and somehow didn't think ahead. I would guess you might be able to get $200 or $300 for stock parts. But for a lot of people, storing bulky parts is a hardship that is simply not worth the minute possibility of a very modest financial offset.

Personally, I ditched my stock parts. I had no place to keep them and move (as in across country or overseas, not to the other side of town) every 2 to 3 years, sometimes more often. No way I'm lugging old springs, dampers, a muffler, air box, etc around the world with me.
      09-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #11
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Hmmm - I don't think you could just throw a 135i suspension on to a 128i. I mean, it would fit, but the spring rates would be wrong.

I think anyone who is going to go through all the trouble and expense of upgrading their stock suspension would be nuts to buy a used M-Sport suspension (for any amount of money, much less $1200 - I picked up Bilstein coil overs for less than that). So much effort for so little improvement.

Now, if you have plenty of storage space in your garage, I can sort of see holding on to them. Maybe - maybe - you will come across someone one day turning in their car after a lease who wants to go back to stock and somehow didn't think ahead. I would guess you might be able to get $200 or $300 for stock parts. But for a lot of people, storing bulky parts is a hardship that is simply not worth the minute possibility of a very modest financial offset.

Personally, I ditched my stock parts. I had no place to keep them and move (as in across country or overseas, not to the other side of town) every 2 to 3 years, sometimes more often. No way I'm lugging old springs, dampers, a muffler, air box, etc around the world with me.
Well, to each their own i suppose...no way in hell id just say eh screw this and trash bmw suspension parts among other stock parts no less, like I said before they are FAR from worthless. Not like we're talking about springs off of a chevy piece of shit here

You mentioned the spring rates being off swapping the msport suspension to a 128? Anyone have any info to back that up? Sounds a lil off to me, I mean if you're replacing the stock springs, struts, control arms, rods, sway bars, etc. what is there not to work? Id understand if it was a totally diff car but structurally the 128 is pretty much the same as the 135, only main diff is engine size, power and a few cosmetics. Its like how anyone with a 135i swaps their suspension items with m3 bits off an e90, diff bmw but the parts work perfectly. I see no reason why the 135 msport suspension wouldnt be a decent upgrade to someone with a 128i.

Lastly, dont mark the set down like its not worth anything at $1200. Im not just talking springs n shocks, im talking everything. Springs, shocks, sway bars and bushings, front and rear control arms and tension rods, headlight rods, subframe bushings and bump stops, and probably the strut mounts as well. $1200 for all those items is nothing compared to what all thats worth from the factory. Thats all im saying, sure its not the performance of a full coilover setup n all that shit, but not everyone is looking for a huge drop and track ready suspension. Some may rather the more economical route that would still act as an upgrade from their current 128i stuff. Honestly, I would expect a 135i owner to buy up my pieces to swap back to stock for a trade than a 128, im just trying to prove that it is a reasonable switch well worth what I am asking and I dont see why it wouldnt work.

P.S. Under your situation where u move every other week n such I can understand not wanting to keep parts like these around, but those are not ordinary circumstances. The only stock parts I have sold off my car were very small with less overall worth, I still have my axleback, my stock intake, stock intercooler, sway bar, chargepipe, etc. Only reason I havent tried to sell the exhaust or intake, etc. is because Ive just read nuff round here to know most just dont think its worth it to spend any money at all on the stock pieces so i figure why bother, but no way in hell would I get rid of em. Or else what would I do when i wanna trade the car in or something, id hafta buy all the stock parts back at a cost to me rather then sell the aftermarket parts on the car and just swap out from the stock ones I still have, much easier on me and my finances which is necessary from all the money ive spent on mods so far and still to come. If I was made of money which I am not, sure id just chuck em, but at that point I wouldnt be driving this car would I, id be driving a TT-R or a 911 turbo, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #12
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

there are 2 sides to every economic market... they're not worth much to sell, so they should also be cheap/easy to buy if you decide to go back to stock later. i personally kept mine, cause i have more than enough room for car parts, but if i needed the space i'd toss 'em and look for another set if/when needed.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #13
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
You mentioned the spring rates being off swapping the msport suspension to a 128? Anyone have any info to back that up?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...98&hg=31&fg=10

If you go to RealOEM, you'll find that you cannot look up spring numbers by chassis. Instead you are told that "the choice of proper coil springs depends on the options installed on your vehicle" and you are referred to your dealer. The same situation applies to the Performance springs - you can't simply order by chassis, you must provide your VIN in order to receive the correct springs.

Now, even though I like the idea that BMW does this, how much could the spring rates actually differ? After all, when I ordered my Bilstein PSS9's, it was one-size-fits-all per chassis, and so are KW's, ST's, H&R's, and pretty much every other non-custom spring or coilover kit. So, ultimately, it may be somewhat of a moot point - but, technically at least, there apparently exist multiple versions of OEM springs.