03-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #221
oasis3582
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelf View Post
... and another question to Scott:

Somewhere you mentioned that the 1M will not/shall not tread upon M3s feet performancewise... what does this mean?
Is this only valid for pure horsepower and straight line performance or does this also hold for tracktimes?
I'm asking this, because of the fact that the Audi TT-RS (that obviously seems to be one of the biggest contenders for an upcoming 1M) has quite remarkable performance figures on the track even without semi slicks (have a look at the german SportAuto magazine tests). In case a 1M shall be at eye level on same tire type I think it has to/will be faster on some track profiles than an E92 M3.

So it comes down to the question: Will BMW allow the 1M to be slightly faster on some track profiles than an M3 in order to successfully compete with TT-RS or will BMW obey the internal pecking order, where an M3 has to be better than an 1M in any aspect?

Thanks,

Manuel
Why do you refer to this pecking order when a 135 is faster than a 335?
Previous: VW GTI, Tesla Model 3 LR, Mazda MX-5 RF, Ford Mustang GT (x2), Mazda 3, BMW Z4 sDrive35i, Acura TSX, BMW 135i, Acura TSX, Honda Accord Coupe V6, Acura RDX, Pontiac GTO 6.0, Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #222
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

I will answer your questions this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 06:25 PM   #223
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Thank you! And thanks for the new avatar...

'13 Space Gray/Mugello Red X5///M
Pavement Punisher | Snow Muncher | Family and Board Hauler | Roadtripper
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #224
manuelf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis3582 View Post
Why do you refer to this pecking order when a 135 is faster than a 335?
1. SCOTT mentioned it "NOT to tread upon M3s feet"
2. Price Delta between 135i and 335i in germany is 15%. Price delta between 1M (price based on SCOTTs statement 10k more than 135) and M3 is 35%.
3. M3 is an icon - 335i not.

But your point is reasonable - even if 135i and 335i are very close performance wise. So ask SCOTT, in case the upcoming 1M has to obey the pecking order. I am definitely NOT a fan of an artificial ranking that is realized by restricting a lower ranked car...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #225
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
1. SCOTT mentioned it "NOT to tread upon M3s feet"
2. Price Delta between 135i and 335i in germany is 15%. Price delta between 1M (price based on SCOTTs statement 10k more than 135) and M3 is 35%.
3. M3 is an icon - 335i not.

But your point is reasonable - even if 135i and 335i are very close performance wise. So ask SCOTT, in case the upcoming 1M has to obey the pecking order. I am definitely NOT a fan of an artificial ranking that is realized by restricting a lower ranked car...
Agreed, Audi can do it, so should BMW.

My question to Scott;

What does BMW see to be the M1's core competitors?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #226
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Ok I see the avatar Scott!! We need another teaser pict
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #227
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
You are killing us!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 04:12 AM   #228
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:
I am definitely NOT a fan of an artificial ranking that is realized by restricting a lower ranked car...

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 12:06 AM   #229
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

The proof will always be in the pudding... Can't wait to see the final retail ready product.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #230
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

Sunday 3pm here.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #231
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Nearly 10 PM here on location. Neu BMW X3. Cape Town , South Africa.
Patience and I will try to answer some tonight.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #232
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

spy photographers - here is your clue.
It's just beautiful there..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 06:30 PM   #233
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Okay here is your next ten plus. Remember if you want to leave a question please do not debate in this thread just so I can answer your question promptly. I am busy at the moment so I will try to answer as soon as possible. Unfortunately my deadlines are more of a priority.

@Adrean8J
Quote:
Is it right to suspect that the 1er hatch doing winter testing is the beginnings of looking into the hatch mentioned above? Or maybe a turbo-diesel variant?
The next generation of Turbo 4 cylinder engines that will see it's debut with the next 1er Sporthatch are more powerful and as equal as some of the current six cylinders available today. The focus on using four cylinders is again because of efficiency , but do not let the appearance fool you, these are very powerful engines for a four cylinder , the use of four cylinders also brings into play a new way to decrease weight on some models.
Although they are four cylinders they will also offer the split exhaust like our other turbo models just to keep continuity.

Quote:
Any idea about any special M-only colors?
Colour choices for an M are reflective on the market and what works with the car , some color choices for example never got carried over from the E46 to the E92 because the decision makers did not think they suited the car.
Although I can see some existing M colours , with possibly a mix of standard 1er colors and maybe an additional new colour or two.
Matte finish is a definite cost option.

@Jmunro
Quote:
I'm sure everyone here is interested in the following... Will the M1 engine be tuner "friendly" at all or will BMW continue to implement and refine tuner detection?
Let us be absolutely clear about this but BMW have no love for the tuning industry primarily because they are usually left with the problem after things go wrong. That is why BMW Performance was brought in to play and why BMW play the void your warranty card. What you have seen so far with BMW performance is nothing compared to what will be coming in the future.
There is one Tuner BMW have a special relationship with and that is Alpina.

Quote:
I'm sure BMW is aware that they are seeing a huge amount of business because of the N54's "potential."
The N54 has potential but BMW Performance offer an upgrade in Performance without having to void your warranty.

@Alphagamma
Quote:
Will the M1 be used in actual motorsports racing like the E30 M3 was?
When we look at the 1er and it's history of being the 2dr sedan like the 2002 and the E30 , you do get nostalgic on such issues , watch this space.

@Footie
Quote:
I'm guessing that the 10K premium (added your own currency to the front of this figure) will mean that there isn't really room to position a 135iS between this 1M and the stock 135i, so that also leads me to believe that the power output isn't dramatically more than what the 35iS engine currently produces, say officially 355-365PS top whack.

Is that figure close?
Yes you are in the zone...

@South
related to M1
Quote:
) What turbo configuration will the engine of the 1M have? Twin scroll? Twin turbo? Twin scroll and twin turbo (like the S63)? Tri-turbo?
Whereas I cannot give full specification away , you know what the answer is?
Quote:
2) What will that engine be called, S55?
That sounds convenient.

Quote:
related to the M5
3) What's the final word on KERS for the M5? Will it use a boost system or even a mild hybrid setup like the Active Hybrid 7?
Dr Thiessen previously gave an interview when we talked about applying the F1 KERS into a road car programme and yes it will use a boost system to unleash stored energy.4)

Quote:
Any hope for a manual transmission for the M5 (both in Europe and the US)?
All I have heard is an upgraded version of M-DCT. The US inclusion of a manual was a disaster some in M and BMW would like to forget.

Quote:
5) When will the M5 debut? If history repeats itself, the M5 Concept should be on display in Geneva 2011 with the production version being shown in Frankfurt 2011. Is that correct?
In cases of the M5 History repeats itself. The production debut is pencilled in for next years IAA so you will be able to see the M5 in action as BMW will be bringing back the indoor track for 2011.

@JasonCSU
Quote:
A wealth of information in this thread, thanks Scott. You mention that there will be 6 definite production models on the new 1er matrix. Obviously, four of those would be a 3-door hatch, a 5-door hatch, a coupe, and a convertible. Are the other two models possibly a 2-seater coupe/roadster Z2 variant?
Yes , The possibilities for the compact segment especially in growth has brought these projects to the foreground. Along with the M1 BMW see these two as equal to BMW's performance bikes in terms of power and status That they are strictly for performance and enjoyment.

@As7920
Quote:
Do you know why there will be no M 3/5 door hatch?
Is that a global decision or US market only?
In terms of how hatchback models are perceived in The US? is one decision , the other being that for BMW at least the marketability is with the Coupe , it is still an open discussion.
Quote:
Do you have an idea of when the next generation M3 will be available in Europe (2013?)?
Sometime in 2013 seems accurate.

@Footie
Quote:
Scott, can you tell me whether or not the construction materials of this new engine is different than the N55 and whether it's turbo configuration differs also?
I believe it's magnesium block. I dont know for sure @ BMW they test every material so I cannot answer if the definite choice is made.
Quote:
Another question relates to the diff, will the 1M ulitise a different form of M-diff to that of the M3, following a similar setup to that of Ferrari's e-diff?
The M-diff is a reworked version from the M3 I believe.

@ChrisK
Quote:
Scott, will the M1 have either/or LED Angels or LED taillights?

I do not know for definite but cars I have seen (protoypes and design concepts) utilise the same specification as the 135i with optional xenon lighting.

@ChrisK
Quote:
Will the M1 will have an integrated duck bill spoiler for sure? ..or is this still up in the air?
For visual identity and of course aerodynamics the rear spoiler will be reprofiled in typical BMW M fashion.

@Primo135
Quote:
Can you shed any light on interior changes? Particularly want to know about seats and dash/instrument cluster.
There will be a notifiable visual identity to distinguish the car's interior from other 1er Coupe models. Not everything is final.

@amdmaxx
Quote:
Scott - X3 in your avatar now?
Well it was , The film and photography has been underway.
"JOY IS... Why we push the boundaries to perform"
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #234
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

Scott26,

Thanks again for the wealth of information!

Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #235
jmunro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

Scott, Thanks for the info Re: tuning...

Do your comments mean that the BMW Performance options to come in the future will be more aggressive than the current options, or just a wider array of parts?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 04:00 AM   #236
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

BMW is not tuner-friendly (I agree with the reasons). Is there any possibilty for BMW to offer KW Suspension and Brembo Brakes? Or is it the same story as engine-tuning?

Again thanks for the answers.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 06:58 AM   #237
manuelf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82 LCI

Quote:
@Footie

I believe it's magnesium block. I dont know for sure @ BMW they test every material so I cannot answer if the definite choice is made.

Now you make me wonder....
Magnesium block on the N52/N53 was THE innovation when the new NG6 came out. I was a bit frustarted when N54 fell back on a aluminium block - but technically speaking it was obvious that the higher stress in a FI engine demands a more solid block...
As I expect noticeable higher boost pressure (from the low 0,6 bar in the N54) in the S55 a switch to Mg/Al block would be unbelievable cool
At least I would admire BMW EA/ZS-E-4 guys very much!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 08:22 AM   #238
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
BMW is not tuner-friendly (I agree with the reasons). Is there any possibilty for BMW to offer KW Suspension and Brembo Brakes? Or is it the same story as engine-tuning?

Again thanks for the answers.

1. BMW has their own Performance Susp. now for the 1er.

2. The current 135i has Brembo's and the current BMW Perf. upgrade is also Brembo's.

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 09:48 AM   #239
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Whereas I cannot give full specification away , you know what the answer is?
Thanks SCOTT for all the answers, I'd expect an S63 setup in this case.

Quote:
At least I would admire BMW EA/ZS-E-4 guys very much!
Nice BMW division name dropping.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #240
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Thanks Scott for the information provided. I am now more convinced that the 1M will indeed be a better option for those seeking a true sports coupe than to chosing the M3 option.

One benefit of this product is it will keep potential customers switching brands to the like of a Porsche Cayman or even TT-RS, but negatively it could also make people downsize from an M3 to this car, a similar experience noticed by Porsche with 911 customers downsizing to the sweeter driving Cayman.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #241
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
@ChrisK

I do not know for definite but cars I have seen (protoypes and design concepts) utilise the same specification as the 135i with optional xenon lighting.
Bummer. I was hoping for refreshed headlights a la the 3 series sedan. I think it really updated the look of the car, and the 1 could definitely benefit from having the eyelid to make the headlights look smaller and more aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #242
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiddiq1 View Post
Bummer. I was hoping for refreshed headlights a la the 3 series sedan. I think it really updated the look of the car, and the 1 could definitely benefit from having the eyelid to make the headlights look smaller and more aggressive.
The front fenders (aka the front end) will be wider which will make the headlights look smaller.
Appreciate 0