BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

How I'm using a 1995 Nissan Sentra to buy a 1m.

I remember being a junior in high school and hearing about the upcoming release of the 335i and then the 135i. I loved the design of the car, but when I heard about the inline 6 twin turbo motor I knew that I had to have it... although I never thought it would be a reality so quickly, let alone find myself in a 1m.

I'll rewind a little bit further though.

I was 15 years old and at the time didn't care about having a BMW or any other car, I was just fortunate to have wheels... specifically a 1995 Nissan Sentra. It was white and was previously my grand mothers. She moved into a retirement home and no longer had a use for the car. It was in rough shape but I bought it for $2000. My cousin worked for a Mercedes dealership at the time painting cars. For my birthday he painted the exterior and did some minor body work, when I got it back from him it was flawless. I was so happy to have a pristine little car to get me around town, I never thought it would lead to a Valencia Orange M.

The car only had about 15,000 miles and around the time of my 16th birthday I sold it to a friend of mine for $5000. Cha-ching, this was the first time I made money selling a car, I was already hooked. I began looking up everything I could about all the cars I was interested in. At the time I had a thing for Japanese cars, specifically the 3rd gen rx7, I made it my goal to have one before I graduated high school... not only that I wanted it as a dedicated track car.

I used the money to pay for a 2003 Acura RSX. I wanted the 7 but I knew the rotary motor would be to unreliable and I couldn't afford one with an ls1. I was 16 years old and my parents were proud of me for doing so well in the Nissan so they agreed to help me purchase the RSX, this was also the only time they helped me buy a car with their finances. I put a little more money into the RSX (I think I spent $6500~ of my own money) they handled the rest.

I spent my time away from school working, that was all I did. I worked at a grocery store as a cart boy making minimum wage when the meat dept manager had a heart attack and suddenly died. There was no one to work in the meat department when I got to work and heard Sam had died. They asked me to fill in until they could find someone to hire. I ended up working there first just as an associate, but soon found myself as the supervisor. I also had a job at Statefarm doing celerical work, I worked a total of 60 hour a week for quite awhile.

I built a pretty substantial bank account for my age and everyday when I came home all I talked about was cars. Really just the rx7 that I wanted so badly. My junior year when I heard about the new 335i that was going to be released a few years later, I became bound and determined to own a 2nd car before I was a senior in highschool, I found an rx7 that needed a bit of work in Pennsylvania. I had a mechanic check out the car before I bought it and several months before the end of my junior year I had the rx7 delivered to me.

It needed much more work than I had anticipated, in fact when it arrived my girlfriend and I went to drive it and it broke down within the first 30 seconds of driving it... not joking or exaggerating. I spent WAY to much time tearing down the motor and rebuilding almost all of it. I did all the labor myself despite the fact that I had never done anything like it before. I invested another few thousand in parts and after a few months of work, the rx7 I bought was running flawlessly and made tremendous power. Infact when I got it someone had tried to make it non-sequential and seriously had f'ed it up, the turbos weren't even spooling and it was producing less power than my base RSX was. By the end of it all the 7 was putting down about 330hp, then the clutch started to go.

At this point I was fed up, I hadn't hardly had any track time in my 'dedicated' track car, and the 13bREW was proving to be much more unreliable than I had originally though.

I also had grown to hate my RSX. It had no power, while it did handle ok I knew it wasn't the car that I wanted. At this point in my life I had graduated highschool and was a self proclaimed car whore. I spent all my time on various car forums learning everything I could. I saved and saved and last year decided to sell the hated RSX, I sold it for nearly $10,000. I was ecstatic I never thought I would get even close to that amount. I had enough money when I was done to buy a $20k~ car.

That's when I found it, a 2007 335i coupe, Silver on black leather for $22.5k It had only 21,000 miles on it too. I immediately called the dealer and the first thing I asked was, "Whats wrong with it?" I checked out the car, which was conveniently only 5 miles away. It had a few scratches on it but was otherwise in perfect condition. The dealer had the scratches fixed AND I talked him down to $22.1!

Not even 9 days later I had sold the car for $31,000... I had found the way I was going to earn extra money through college. I have such a burning passion for BMWs and a knack for finding good deals on cars and selling them above value. Everyone came to me for auto advice, wether buying or selling, or fixing up there car. I turned around and found another 335i, this time a black sedan. The car had been listed for $24, the salesman knew NOTHING about it. He tried telling me that the brown leather was a limited production run and 'very special' I called all his bluffs and once again got myself into a 335i for about $20k. The car had no options except for premium package and the suspension felt like it was riding on marsh mellows.

I began scrambling to find myself another one with sports package. After about a month of looking I found the car I'm in now. A fully loaded 135i (my sigs incorrect, the car is fully loaded). It had been listed at $29k. I drove to the dealer the very next day. No one understood why I wanted to go from a 3 to a 1, I didn't know why they could assume I wouldn't want to. The car was perfect, not a THING wrong with it. Again the salesman knew nothing about the car. I told him I was very interested but not for the price he had listed, and he insisted the manager would not change the price... I knew differently. I could tell by the brakes that the car hadn't been driven in awhile and it had likely been sitting on the dealer lot for awhile. I left and went home waiting to hear back form the dealer. He dropped the price to a little over $27, I knew I'd get it for less. While I was inside haggling my friend asked another salesman and got him to admit how long they had, had it on the lot. It had been sitting on the lot for a month and NO ONE had stopped to even look at it.

My friend came in and told me what he had learned, as Cleveland would say, "Boom goes the dynamite." the ball was totally in my court. I told him I would pay $24.5 and not a dime more. The look on the salesman face was priceless, I felt like I had just crushed his dreams and I couldn't have been happier. The car had 33,000 miles and I felt like I was stealing it.

I currently have it listed for sale and am very confident that I will get what I want for it. I have no desire to be a car salesman, but I've proven to be good so far with autos. I've always made rational decisions about cars in the past (aside from the 7 but that proved to work out for me as well, I sold it for 14.5K and got everything I had put into it back) now it's time for an emotional one, the 1m.

Now here I sit, 23 years old, and I am number 4 on my dealers list for a 1 Series M Coupé. Not only did I manage to own 3 of my dream cars (RX7, 335i, 135i) but later this year I will be taking delivery on a car that I would have never imagined possible.

Excuse my ramblings that I am passing off as a story, it's been a long snow day.
Attached Images

Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.

Last edited by Augenbrauezug; 02-02-2011 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
drinkcoke3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i + F25 X3 35i FBO

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
great story...hope you keep the 1M tho...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #3
PcM3
Rep
Drives: 2012 Bmw 1M Soon To Be

Wow dude Congrats thats so great That your able to do that I'm planning on getting a 1M By the end of the Year I've Been working hard at starting a business with my cousin and it's paying off so my goal is to get one by the end of the year you sound like me when I go to dealers I love how I know more than the salesperson they never know shit....

But again Congrats
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkcoke3 View Post
great story...hope you keep the 1M tho...
Thank you, trust me it will not be going anywhere for the foreseeable future. While I have been flipping cars lately this car will seal the deal for me, plus it will be impossible to make a profit on it for years to come.

I'll be driving my truck primarily, this will just be the weekend car / garage queen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcM3 View Post
Wow dude Congrats thats so great That your able to do that I'm planning on getting a 1M By the end of the Year I've Been working hard at starting a business with my cousin and it's paying off so my goal is to get one by the end of the year you sound like me when I go to dealers I love how I know more than the salesperson they never know shit....

But again Congrats
Good luck with the business! It can be hard to start one, but if you've done your homework it can be very rewarding. I am also int he process of starting a couple of things of my own but they have taken a back seat while I pursue a medical career.

When I decide I want something I go out and I get it, I have never let someone tell me no... that is just unacceptable for me. I also never start something without knowing everything about it that I can.

Momma didn't raise no fool.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Grats, you were able to take advantage of the information discrepancy between seller and dealer and most likely live in an area with low volume. It's a bit harder in CA because cars clear faster but deals are still aplenty.

Not considering a pre-owned 1M? Because there's not much bargaining room when buying new as compared to used.
      02-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Pretty good story!

Which dealer are you working with?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Grats, you were able to take advantage of the information discrepancy between seller and dealer and most likely live in an area with low volume. It's a bit harder in CA because cars clear faster but deals are still aplenty.

Not considering a pre-owned 1M? Because there's not much bargaining room when buying new as compared to used.
I live in a very low volume area, I am currently taking advantage of the fact that I am in love with my current car and in no rush to sell it, and there are none in my area with comparable options and mileage. I am considering preowned, I do not want to make an impulse buy, nor buy into the hype. In fact I just made the decision today, I was going to give it a few weeks but I'll be going into B<W of Dallas tomorrow to finalize... providing I don't get cold feet and hold back a little bit. However I am nearly positive I'll be taking order of the 4th 1 Series M from BMW of Dallas...

I'm pretty sure my sales guy reads these forums regularly, so if you do don't use my excitement to drive my price up!

Just like a new father, this was the happiest day of my life.
Attached Images

Last edited by Augenbrauezug; 02-02-2011 at 08:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Nice post, dude. Refreshing to read something interesting and inspiring on this forum. I actually did sell used cars when I was 16. It was a summer/winter break job for two years because my girlfriend's (at the time) step dad was the used car manager at a local Ford dealership. Though I knew selling cars would not be my profession, I did well and I learned some really important things there. Keep it up. You've learned a really useful skill that will benefit you the rest of your life.

Good luck on your goal!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 09:50 PM   #9
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion View Post
Nice post, dude. Refreshing to read something interesting and inspiring on this forum. I actually did sell used cars when I was 16. It was a summer/winter break job for two years because my girlfriend's (at the time) step dad was the used car manager at a local Ford dealership. Though I knew selling cars would not be my profession, I did well and I learned some really important things there. Keep it up. You've learned a really useful skill that will benefit you the rest of your life.

Good luck on your goal!
I agree. Nice story and contests on your 1m purchase.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #10
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Thanks for posting! Consider doing a Euro Delivery and get a few more $$ knocked off the price of the car. Even if you only fly to Munich, take the car straight to the shipping company and fly back home, you still come out ahead.
      02-05-2011, 12:34 AM   #11
Artz 330
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M, 335i, 135i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Cool story! Seems a bit od a dealer would list a 335i coupe in "perfect condition" for $22,500. Considering at Manhiem a well optioned 335i with less than 25,000 miles sells for around $22,000. And you got 3 of these slamming deals? Man these dealers must be on crack and just giving cars away for free. Just saw a Alpine White 135i loaded with red interior and 36,000 miles go for $23,400, and a 128i with no options went for $18,000 cause no one wanted it LMAO. Congrats on your smokin' deals.

* Flame Suit on * I'm just sayin'....
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 01:55 AM   #12
Auto
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: MB CLS 63 AMG

Nice story!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #13
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artz 330 View Post
Cool story! Seems a bit od a dealer would list a 335i coupe in "perfect condition" for $22,500. Considering at Manhiem a well optioned 335i with less than 25,000 miles sells for around $22,000. And you got 3 of these slamming deals? Man these dealers must be on crack and just giving cars away for free. Just saw a Alpine White 135i loaded with red interior and 36,000 miles go for $23,400, and a 128i with no options went for $18,000 cause no one wanted it LMAO. Congrats on your smokin' deals.

Haha I'm certainly not going to flame you!

The dealer learned VERY quickly that it was a stupid mistake. As I was sitting there signing the paper work I'd say at least 10 people called in regards to the call, the girl that worked at the reception desk also mentioned that they had people calling in from all over the country.

And he asked 22.5 and let it go for 22.1

Edit: Oh yah, I literally get on autotrader twice a day and scrounge for deals in my area. Well I haven't done this in about a month but that was the only way I found these cars... it was odd to me though that the 135 had sat there for so long without so much as a test drive!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #14
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...rchantsinc.com

This is where I got the 335i coupe.

The black one they have listed cracks me up. 20,000 more miles than mine had $3000 more... that being said it's still a decent deal... I'm sure I can find better though! It's got 49,500 miles and they mention it's covered under warranty LOL! Until you drive it home!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #15
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artz 330 View Post

Actually, I agree with you. Excellent story, and dude knows how to pick up on a mark...because those dealers are Stupid! But, as dude said, it's a low volume area...besides, I know of a guy who in that are who wrote a check to a guy in

my area (Balt-Wash) for 275k for a rare Corvette, sight unseen....the car never existed!
So, dude has the passion, the mental quickness to see a mark...hopefully he won't turn to the darkside, because making the money from flipping cars can do that, I've seen it happen.

But, I like dude's passion.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 01:04 PM   #16
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
Actually, I agree with you. Excellent story, and dude knows how to pick up on a mark...because those dealers are Stupid! But, as dude said, it's a low volume area...besides, I know of a guy who in that are who wrote a check to a guy in

my area (Balt-Wash) for 275k for a rare Corvette, sight unseen....the car never existed!
So, dude has the passion, the mental quickness to see a mark...hopefully he won't turn to the darkside, because making the money from flipping cars can do that, I've seen it happen.

But, I like dude's passion.
The 1m will mark the end of it for me. I am continuing with a career in medical. While I do have an intense passion for BMWs new and old I have no desire to keep this up.

I'll be buying the 1m and possibly my friends 325e and that will be it for a VERY long time to come.

I have really convinced myself too that if for whatever reason I cannot get the 1m (I cannot think of what it would be unless dealer allocation really is 2 per) that I will still be more than satisfied with me 135.

My peers think I'm crazy for selling my 135.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 01:39 PM   #17
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

What a fantastic story.. Thanks for sharing and congrats on your future purchase of this beautiful machine
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #18
05Mdriver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: TT Flat Six

Garage List
2007 Porsche Turbo  [10.00]
2008 BMW M3  [10.00]
2005 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenbrauezug View Post
Momma didn't raise no fool.
lol.

nothing like being young and thinking short term. keep the 135 and save that moneyy...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 09:45 PM   #19
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Mdriver View Post
lol.

nothing like being young and thinking short term. keep the 135 and save that moneyy...
Way to reduce my post to one line, laugh at it, and then make an ignorant comment as though I've explained my entire financial situation to you.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #20
05Mdriver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: TT Flat Six

Garage List
2007 Porsche Turbo  [10.00]
2008 BMW M3  [10.00]
2005 BMW M3  [10.00]
well please, create another post on how well off you are so we can all fully grasp your true financial situation.

I suppose im just confused at where you mentioned you have a job and steady income that you can afford a 50k car.

You got a hand-me down Nissan from your grandmom.. Had a friend respray it for free.. Then rip one of your other friends off by charging double what you paid. Nice. Then.. Because your parents liked what you did they put up additional funds to buy you a rsx ? In the mean time you buy an rx7 money pit and couldn't figure out the turbos werent spooling before buying ? Then you buy a 22k BMW and resell.. Prob cleared 2k after the taxes in and back out of it.... I'm just confused at how you buy a 50k car from this.

And who's paying for your med school ?

Call me a hater, but Im 25 and could pick up a 1m with cash in full but guess what, I won't. And you can say I'm not a car guy and wouldn't understand but you'll be wrong again since iv got the title to an M car already.

in the end, i really dont care what you do so go ahead.. spend, spend, spend.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #21
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Mdriver View Post
well please, create another post on how well off you are so we can all fully grasp your true financial situation.

I suppose im just confused at where you mentioned you have a job and steady income that you can afford a 50k car.

You got a hand-me down Nissan from your grandmom.. Had a friend respray it for free.. Then rip one of your other friends off by charging double what you paid. Nice. Then.. Because your parents liked what you did they put up additional funds to buy you a rsx ? In the mean time you buy an rx7 money pit and couldn't figure out the turbos werent spooling before buying ?Then you buy a 22k BMW and resell.. Prob cleared 2k after the taxes in and back out of it.... I'm just confused at how you buy a 50k car from this. Then you buy a 22k BMW and resell.. Prob cleared 2k after the taxes in and back out of it.... I'm just confused at how you buy a 50k car from this.

Call me a hater, but Im 25 and could pick up a 1m with cash in full but guess what, I won't. And you can say I'm not a car guy and wouldn't understand but you'll be wrong again since iv got the title to an M car already.

in the end, i really dont care what you do so go ahead.. spend, spend, spend.
Is this a joke?

I will reply to this post, but if you post again I won't feed you again.

This is truly retarded, why the HELL would I do such a thing? To stroke your ego? My financial situation is my own and isn't anyone else's business.

I've mentioned nothing about my current employment nor my income, this is just as retarded as the first sentence.

You got a hand-me down Nissan from your grandmom.. Had a friend respray it for free.. Then rip one of your other friends off by charging double what you paid. Nice.

I didn't force him to buy it, he enjoyed the car very much as they couldn't find anything else reliable that they could afford. His little brother ended up driving it, and now his older sister drives it. The car had 15,000 miles on it, so I fail to see this as ripping him off. I got a good deal, are you suggesting I should of told him that he could not buy it for $5000 just so I could take MY time to try and sell it to someone else? Nice.

Then.. Because your parents liked what you did they put up additional funds to buy you a rsx ? In the mean time you buy an rx7 money pit and couldn't figure out the turbos werent spooling before buying ?

Now I'm wondering why I'm bothering to respond at all. I guess the answer would be 'yes' to the first question, though that is a VERY vague way of putting it. Maybe you skimmed my post (really giving you the benefit of the doubt here) I bought the car sight unseen, sure it was a mistake. However I learned the turbos were not spooling within the first drive. Even so what does this have anything to do with the point of my post?

Then you buy a 22k BMW and resell.. Prob cleared 2k after the taxes in and back out of it.... I'm just confused at how you buy a 50k car from this.

This statement is flat out wrong.

Who said anything about med school? There are other medical careers that do not require med school. For your information though I have the Texas Tomorrow Fun that covers all my tuition.

Call me a hater,

Well I wasn't going to, but seems like that's what your doing.

but Im 25 and could pick up a 1m with cash in full but guess what, I won't.

Terrific. Nice comment earlier refering to me as young thinking short term. I guess all my maturing will take place in the next year and a half. You exude wisdom.

And you can say I'm not a car guy and wouldn't understand but you'll be wrong again since iv got the title to an M car already.

Again... TERRIFIC.

in the end, i really dont care what you do so go ahead.. spend, spend, spend

You cared enough to waste your time.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #22
BlackFlash
poseur (for now)
Canada
Rep
Drives: a piece-o-crap

lol, a lot of us were thinking it, 05Mdriver, we just couldn't be bothered to spell it out
Appreciate 0